Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2015, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Tamron/Pentax AF 28-200 LD element cleaning

I scored one cheap (PN 571D in PK mount, also goes by Pentax 28-200, rebadged) but it was filthy, PO looks like he used hard water to clean the front element so I dove in and cleaned it myself. I also noticed that the front element seemed to be loose as I could tilt the lens back and forth over the horizontal axis and sense an internal part shifting back and forth ever so slightly. I looked around online to find out how the remove the front trim ring to expose the element yoke screws. I tried turning, then prying the ring off as some sights suggested, even using a straight edge razor to pop it out between the threads and the trim ring. Well, Im here to tell you they are wrong on this lens. If you pull down the 1/4" rubber trim below the hood mount you will see 3 screws, remove them and the entire top comes off exposing the familiar 3 yoke screws. These are in long slots so be aware of the positions before you remove. Remove the 3 screws (with rubber washers) and the front element will fall into your hand when you invert it. It is rather heavy so be careful. Clean and check next internal element, reassemble and put trim ring back on. Spotless! And as a bonus, I have no more internal shifting so I believe the 3 rubber washer screws were loose to begin with allowing the heavy front element to move ever so slightly.