Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Stuck SDM simple solution that worked

Just wanted to put out here that my AF motor on my DA* 300 (I'm guessing) got stuck. Thought it was a dead motor. I couldn't AF or MF as even turning the focus ring didn't work. I took a screwdriver and turned the screwdrive mechanism on the lens mount (can't remember if it was clockwise or counterclockwise) a couple times and the AF and MF has been working on the lens ever since. I delayed posting this just to make sure it continued to work, which it has. I apologize if this has been posted already but couldn't find anything on here or the Internet that addressed this other than partially disassembling the lens mount, something I preferred not to do. Just wanted to post it in case someone had a similar issue.

07-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

yes I had this problem a couple years ago with a DA* 50-135mm and did that same thing and it worked. If I find the thread ill let you know. Not sure if this is the same problem everyone has with SDM

---------- Post added 07-13-15 at 11:26 AM ----------

if it is the solution to all SDM issues then a lot of money has been waisted
07-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Interesting. Makes you wonder if the screw drive mechanism is hanging on the SDM mechanism causing it to fail.
07-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Interesting. Makes you wonder if the screw drive mechanism is hanging on the SDM mechanism causing it to fail.
There still have been SDM failures on lenses without screw-driven focus mechanisms but maybe the incidence has been less?

07-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like it's time to sell!
07-14-2015, 01:00 AM   #6

I had this problem twice with my DA* 300mm. I cleaned contacts on a lens mount with lens cleaner kit and that resolved problem both times. I presume that this problem occured when I leave my 300mm lens on a camera body for longer time. If I remember well I think that I could MF with my lens but no AF.
05-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
Just wanted to put out here that my AF motor on my DA* 300 (I'm guessing) got stuck. Thought it was a dead motor. I couldn't AF or MF as even turning the focus ring didn't work. I took a screwdriver and turned the screwdrive mechanism on the lens mount (can't remember if it was clockwise or counterclockwise) a couple times and the AF and MF has been working on the lens ever since. I delayed posting this just to make sure it continued to work, which it has. I apologize if this has been posted already but couldn't find anything on here or the Internet that addressed this other than partially disassembling the lens mount, something I preferred not to do. Just wanted to post it in case someone had a similar issue.
I wanted to start this discussion back up if possible. My 50-135 was Stuck, SDM and MF would NOT work. I attached to a screwdrive Film body and the focusing started working. After playing with it a little, I then put it back on my K-5iis, It was still stuck both SDM and MF. I kept spinning MF and hitting SDM and finally it started working.

Is this the Motor or something else "broken" in the lens?