Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #16
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FA Limiteds are called the Three Amigos for good reasons. They are superb lenses and the envy of other brand users.

The FA77mm and FA31mm are always praised. The FA43mm is slightly less considered, possibly because its focal length is (too) close to the FA31mm. But this is something of a personal preference IMHO.

If you can get them all, go for it, you will not regret it. These lenses have fantastic IQ.

07-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess what I would say is that these lenses were "optimized for" full frame use on film. They may suffer from aberrations and they may have slightly different focal lengths than the "norm" but they were done that way on purpose since 43mm was closer to "normal" than 50 and 31 was a better wide angle choice than 35 and 77 was supposedly a better portrait length than 85.

On digital FF? Who knows? These work very well on APS-C and have reputations that are excellent from the film era full frame use.

What is true is that you will use the lenses differently on Full frame than on APSC. The 31 drops from normal to wide angle. The 43 goes from a slight tele/normal to a slight wide/normal. The 77 changes from a kick ass modest tele/long reach portrait lens to a standard portrait lens with slightly wider perspective than the traditional 85.
07-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
First of all, I don't claim to have any expertise. Secondly, I have no doubt people shoot some great portraits with the 77. It just happens that I personally don't think it's a very good focal length for that on fullframe.

Why do I seemingly have to explain myself, while all I post are my thoughts?

Incidentally, that's precisely what topicstarter is asking for. So you are offtopic too.
You have no obligation to explain yourself.
However, when your opinion is so different than the consensus, it would be helpful to understand why you feel that way for people considering that purchase.
Especially when the lens in question is so highly regarded and created for the purpose of making portraits.
07-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
You have no obligation to explain yourself.
However, when your opinion is so different than the consensus, it would be helpful to understand why you feel that way for people considering that purchase.
Especially when the lens in question is so highly regarded and created for the purpose of making portraits.
It is, but a lot of people use it on APS-C, just like the 70/2.4. If you put the 77 back on a fullframe camera it behaves like a 50mm does on APS-C, and I consider that no-man's land.

07-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
The 43 is good enough for me...

Seb
Same for me! I keep hearing people saying the 43mm isn't anything to write home about and I just can't believe it. I have tried the 31mm, 35mm macro, the 77mm, the 70mm, the 15mm, the 21mm, f 50mm 1.7, fa 50mm 1.4, a 50 1.4, 35mm 2.4, etc.... and the 43mm could well be the sharpest (well, the macro is definitely sharper...) and the rendering is definitely special as well. I genuinely don't understand it when people say it's not that good of a lens. I understand that everybody has their own taste, but to say it's NOT a good lens seems like a stretch to me!
07-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

First of all, I don't claim to have any expertise. Secondly, I have no doubt people shoot some great portraits with the 77. It just happens that I personally don't think it's a very good focal length for that on fullframe.

Why do I seemingly have to explain myself, while all I post are my thoughts?

Incidentally, that's precisely what topicstarter is asking for. So you are offtopic too.
I agree with the assessment that 77 might be too short on FF. I am using it with my K3 (116mm equivalent) and it is fine as almost a 120mm lens but I think it would be short for FF as there is not as much subject to camera separation for my style of shooting. Again this is just my opinion and based on my style of shooting. On K3 the 77 shines beyond my wildest expecations.

I initially used the FA31 and the FA77 mostly but a product shoot in a studio assignment situation made me use the FA43 which turned out to be the best choice and boy did it deliver!!

I recently used all three on a NEX7 with an adapter and the lenses showed the limitations of the "aging" 24MP NEX7 sensor. A side-by-side of the NEX7 and the K3 showed the superiority of the K3 sensor. K3 and the three amigos... what a combo!!
07-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have all three, love them all, sure I'd love them on FF if I get one. If you're going FF (it's not clear that you are) then the 20-40 may not work for you. Has anyone checked that it covers the FF circle?

For me, on APSC, the 31 makes a great landscape lens, and can also take a pretty nice portrait or other shallow DoF shot if you're close to the subject. I like landscapes at that focal length.
The 77 is a terrific portrait lens and also makes a pretty good short tele. I've used it for landscapes as well.
If I'm walking around and want to stay compact for opportunistc shots, the 43 is great. And guess what; I've used it for landscapes. It's actually my favorite for stitched panos.

07-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
I have all three, love them all, sure I'd love them on FF if I get one. If you're going FF (it's not clear that you are) then the 20-40 may not work for you. Has anyone checked that it covers the FF circle?
Yup I don't think the 20-40mm is fully compatible. I don't think I need FF. Only situation I can think of where I'd like it is night sky, but then its extra bulk to cart around.

For me, on APSC, the 31 makes a great landscape lens, and can also take a pretty nice portrait or other shallow DoF shot if you're close to the subject. I like landscapes at that focal length.
Yeah I've found it to be a revelation on the K-5IIs ... I didn't own it when I had the K-7, at that point I did have an FA 35mm though

The 77 is a terrific ... I've used it for landscapes as well.
Yeah I've seen some very good non-portrait shoots with it too.

If I'm walking around and want to stay compact for opportunistc shots, the 43 is great
I've heard a couple of people describe it as a "reporters lens" - maybe this was the design goal (?)
07-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My thoughts: 77mm is too short on fullframe for a portrait lens
Pray tell, what do you suggest? 80mm?

Steve
07-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If you put the 77 back on a fullframe camera it behaves like a 50mm does on APS-C
No, it behaves like a 77mm on 35mm FF. FWIW, 50mm on APS-C is very, very appropriate for portraiture. Of course that is just my opinion.

Steve

(...uses 50mm and 77mm and 85mm and 135mm on both APS-C and 35mm FF...so far negative ramifications...sort of wishes there was a 90mm and 100mm to throw into the mix...)
07-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, it behaves like a 77mm on 35mm FF. FWIW, 50mm on APS-C is very, very appropriate for portraiture.
I know, but I'm done with arguing over details. I think you know what I mean. Also, APS-C is my frame of reference.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Of course that is just my opinion.
Good.
07-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They are great lenses. I have the three of them and am happy that I do.

Having said that, I use my zooms much more. They do a very good job, are more portable than carrying multiple lens and a couple I have are WR.

I've also been very happy with the DA35/40/70 limiteds - excellent clarity, low CA, pocket-size and more economical.

If you need the extra speed and the Full Frame, by all means get the three amigos. But there are options.
07-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
You realize that 85mm is THE standard focal length used for portraits and has been for half a century?
So are you saying that 77mm is enough shorter from 85mm that it should be discarded for portraits?
People phrase things on this forum quite regulary as though thier view/opinion/preference is a fact.......it's mostly just the way it comes across. That's the internet for you.

Anyway, I have all three and they are very nice possessions. The 77 is a lot more then a portrait lens (in my view...). The quality and size of the 43 will be awsome/unique on FF I reckon.
07-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I kinda wish I had bought a really good zoom when I had the money ( have several primes )
07-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I was never very interested in the FAs as the range is a bit narrow. Opted for 4 DAs instead, though I tend toward the wide side. But I say go for it if you want them.