Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The title of this thread is similar to walking into a bar and asking the patrons if they think it's a good idea to get the best drink in the house...

07-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #122
Pentaxian

I pretty much only shoot with the FA77, 31, 43, DA15, and occasionally the DFA 100mm Macro WR. Maybe someday I will try and snag an FA 85 and the FA 20 but for now I am more than happy with what I have. Love my FA Limiteds!
07-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The title of this thread is similar to walking into a bar and asking the patrons if they think it's a good idea to get the best drink in the house...
Yeah that's half the point.

Its fuel for LBA or even affirmation!

Can I justify the 77mm.... yeah!

-----------------

Well it just arrived (the 77) ... and wow, this thing is by far the nicest build I've had yet. Really nice size,weight and feel.

The lens itself seems smaller than I anticipated (a good thing) the hood probably larger than I anticipated.

Pretty happy though, seems like a nice bit of kit. Haven't managed to take anything interesting yet, just a couple of test shoots.
07-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Yeah that's half the point.

Its fuel for LBA or even affirmation!

Can I justify the 77mm.... yeah!

-----------------

Well it just arrived (the 77) ... and wow, this thing is by far the nicest build I've had yet. Really nice size,weight and feel.

The lens itself seems smaller than I anticipated (a good thing) the hood probably larger than I anticipated.

Pretty happy though, seems like a nice bit of kit. Haven't managed to take anything interesting yet, just a couple of test shoots.
It is an awesome lens, and so unassuming too
I wished I used it more...it is a tad tight indoors on an APS-C camera. But when I do use it, I fall in love with it all over again

07-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's always good to hear the aftermath of these "what lens shall I buy/should I buy this lens?" tales, especially when the outcome is a good one.
07-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #126
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I pretty much only shoot with the FA77, 31, 43, DA15, and occasionally the DFA 100mm Macro WR. Maybe someday I will try and snag an FA 85 and the FA 20 but for now I am more than happy with what I have. Love my FA Limiteds!
That looks like a great set of lenses. Really all you need. Have you ever shot with the DA*50-135? I've got that lens and use it for portraits. It's holding me back from obtaining the FA 77. I'm just having a real hard time letting it go. I hate to keep lenses I don't use on a regular basis. I've already got the FA 31 and FA 43. The F*300 is amazing and I will always keep that lens. It's like a telephoto FA 31.

So you don't shoot wider than FA 31? Do you feel like you're missing anything?
07-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
That looks like a great set of lenses. Really all you need. Have you ever shot with the DA*50-135? I've got that lens and use it for portraits. It's holding me back from obtaining the FA 77. I'm just having a real hard time letting it go. I hate to keep lenses I don't use on a regular basis. I've already got the FA 31 and FA 43. The F*300 is amazing and I will always keep that lens. It's like a telephoto FA 31.

So you don't shoot wider than FA 31? Do you feel like you're missing anything?
I also listed the DA 15 which I use often for landscape shots (great lens). For me the primes are where it's at when it comes to Pentax so I have never had much desire to shoot with the zooms. I could see getting a 300mm prime someday though. If I did end up with a zoom it would probably be a used FA 80-200 f/2.8 since it seems fairly affordable.

07-28-2015, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote

I have the FA20. It's vastly underrated.

This lens, had it been clad in first class metal, can be a part of the Limited family. It has a unique rendering, not as vivid as the DA Limited, but more similar to FA43. It's acceptably sharp at wide open (2.8), and as sharp as it can be at 5.6-8. Distortion and PF has been managed well. It is small and light, despite the 67mm thread. The only con is the lackluster build, common to FA glasses.
07-29-2015, 06:07 AM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I have the FA20. It's vastly underrated.

This lens, had it been clad in first class metal, can be a part of the Limited family. It has a unique rendering, not as vivid as the DA Limited, but more similar to FA43. It's acceptably sharp at wide open (2.8), and as sharp as it can be at 5.6-8. Distortion and PF has been managed well. It is small and light, despite the 67mm thread. The only con is the lackluster build, common to FA glasses.
Good to know! I did a quick ebay search a few days ago and didn't find any available at the time which makes me think this lens might be a little more rare than I originally thought. Would probably be a good lens to add to my collection especially if I decide to go FF next year.