Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #121
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,033
The title of this thread is similar to walking into a bar and asking the patrons if they think it's a good idea to get the best drink in the house...

07-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #122
Pentaxian
LeRolls's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 4,205
I pretty much only shoot with the FA77, 31, 43, DA15, and occasionally the DFA 100mm Macro WR. Maybe someday I will try and snag an FA 85 and the FA 20 but for now I am more than happy with what I have. Love my FA Limiteds!
07-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #123
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 440
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The title of this thread is similar to walking into a bar and asking the patrons if they think it's a good idea to get the best drink in the house...
Yeah that's half the point.

Its fuel for LBA or even affirmation!

Can I justify the 77mm.... yeah!

-----------------

Well it just arrived (the 77) ... and wow, this thing is by far the nicest build I've had yet. Really nice size,weight and feel.

The lens itself seems smaller than I anticipated (a good thing) the hood probably larger than I anticipated.

Pretty happy though, seems like a nice bit of kit. Haven't managed to take anything interesting yet, just a couple of test shoots.
07-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #124
Veteran Member
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,354
QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Yeah that's half the point.

Its fuel for LBA or even affirmation!

Can I justify the 77mm.... yeah!

-----------------

Well it just arrived (the 77) ... and wow, this thing is by far the nicest build I've had yet. Really nice size,weight and feel.

The lens itself seems smaller than I anticipated (a good thing) the hood probably larger than I anticipated.

Pretty happy though, seems like a nice bit of kit. Haven't managed to take anything interesting yet, just a couple of test shoots.
It is an awesome lens, and so unassuming too
I wished I used it more...it is a tad tight indoors on an APS-C camera. But when I do use it, I fall in love with it all over again

07-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,353
It's always good to hear the aftermath of these "what lens shall I buy/should I buy this lens?" tales, especially when the outcome is a good one.
07-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #126
Veteran Member
Driline's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: IOWA Where the Tall Corn Grows
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,988
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I pretty much only shoot with the FA77, 31, 43, DA15, and occasionally the DFA 100mm Macro WR. Maybe someday I will try and snag an FA 85 and the FA 20 but for now I am more than happy with what I have. Love my FA Limiteds!
That looks like a great set of lenses. Really all you need. Have you ever shot with the DA*50-135? I've got that lens and use it for portraits. It's holding me back from obtaining the FA 77. I'm just having a real hard time letting it go. I hate to keep lenses I don't use on a regular basis. I've already got the FA 31 and FA 43. The F*300 is amazing and I will always keep that lens. It's like a telephoto FA 31.

So you don't shoot wider than FA 31? Do you feel like you're missing anything?
07-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #127
Pentaxian
LeRolls's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 4,205
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
That looks like a great set of lenses. Really all you need. Have you ever shot with the DA*50-135? I've got that lens and use it for portraits. It's holding me back from obtaining the FA 77. I'm just having a real hard time letting it go. I hate to keep lenses I don't use on a regular basis. I've already got the FA 31 and FA 43. The F*300 is amazing and I will always keep that lens. It's like a telephoto FA 31.

So you don't shoot wider than FA 31? Do you feel like you're missing anything?
I also listed the DA 15 which I use often for landscape shots (great lens). For me the primes are where it's at when it comes to Pentax so I have never had much desire to shoot with the zooms. I could see getting a 300mm prime someday though. If I did end up with a zoom it would probably be a used FA 80-200 f/2.8 since it seems fairly affordable.
07-28-2015, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member
drypenn's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 963
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I pretty much only shoot with the FA77, 31, 43, DA15, and occasionally the DFA 100mm Macro WR. Maybe someday I will try and snag an FA 85 and the FA 20 but for now I am more than happy with what I have. Love my FA Limiteds!

I have the FA20. It's vastly underrated.

This lens, had it been clad in first class metal, can be a part of the Limited family. It has a unique rendering, not as vivid as the DA Limited, but more similar to FA43. It's acceptably sharp at wide open (2.8), and as sharp as it can be at 5.6-8. Distortion and PF has been managed well. It is small and light, despite the 67mm thread. The only con is the lackluster build, common to FA glasses.

07-29-2015, 06:07 AM   #129
Pentaxian
LeRolls's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 4,205
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I have the FA20. It's vastly underrated.

This lens, had it been clad in first class metal, can be a part of the Limited family. It has a unique rendering, not as vivid as the DA Limited, but more similar to FA43. It's acceptably sharp at wide open (2.8), and as sharp as it can be at 5.6-8. Distortion and PF has been managed well. It is small and light, despite the 67mm thread. The only con is the lackluster build, common to FA glasses.
Good to know! I did a quick ebay search a few days ago and didn't find any available at the time which makes me think this lens might be a little more rare than I originally thought. Would probably be a good lens to add to my collection especially if I decide to go FF next year.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
31, 43, 77, amigos, coatings, desire, f/1.8g, fa, fa lenses, fa43, fas, ff, hd, k-mount, length, lens, lenses, ltd, nikon, pentax, pentax lens, pm, post, sigma, slr lens, tamron, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FA 31, 43 & 77 future upgrades ? BarryE Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 05-02-2015 01:18 AM
D-FA WR 31, 43, 77 ltds yorik Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 23 02-09-2015 10:13 AM
For Sale - Sold: FA 31, FA 43, FA 77 all MIJ, 16-45, Lens Turbo farfisa Sold Items 8 08-01-2013 11:14 AM
Wanted - Acquired: 3 Amigos! FA 31, 43 and 77 L33tGreg Sold Items 7 07-18-2012 10:38 AM
For Sale - Sold: FA limited trilogy: 31, 43, 77 button Sold Items 16 07-03-2008 03:05 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:47 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top