Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2015, 11:51 PM   #1

Which ND filter to buy for K-3?

I have 18-135 WR lens and DA 35 mm lens.

Advice on which ND filter to buy for long exposure photography? I will be visiting Natural Bridges State Beach soon. Looking forward to take pics similar to this.
I also need suggestions for tripod and remotes for K-3 to buy.

Thanks

07-15-2015, 12:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by indianswift Quote
ND filter
i usually buy the B&W stuff, it's highly regarded and has always met my expectations. recently i got me a variable one 1-5 to have more flexibility.
for the type have a look at the table on the wiki it shows what to expect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter

or here: https://www.google.ch/search?q=nd+filter+table&pws=0&biw=1324&bih=488&source...DOaPXtd4-MM%3A
tripod
your lenses are light so get a light travel tripod which you can fold small enough

remotes
i have the Pentax O-RC1, its water proof and has done a good job.
I also have an IR remote built in my smart phone with the right app and after teaching Pentax i hardly ever take the remote with me and use the phone.

for Catch-In-Focus or trap i use the pentax cable release...

edit: you can use the 2 sec delay for those pics...

Last edited by max_pyne; 07-15-2015 at 07:44 AM.
07-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 18-135 WR lens and DA 35 mm lens.

Advice on which ND filter to buy for long exposure photography? I will be visiting Natural Bridges State Beach soon. Looking forward to take pics similar to this.
I also need suggestions for tripod and remotes for K-3 to buy.

Thanks
I've been using B&W filters (ND, CPL, MRC Clear) most of the time and they work very well. I tried Light Craft Variable ND Filters to make it easier when traveling but you do lose some IQ.

As far as a tripod I've purchased a Slik Pro 500HD a few months back and its worked out fine. Mind you though, it does get heavy dragging it around all day and when hiking so please consider
that.

I've purchased the Vello Wireless ShutterBoss Timer Remote but haven't had a chance to play with it as yet....

Best of Luck!

07-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use the Hoya NDX 9-stop screw ons and also the B+W 10-stop, but really anything decent should work.

Also, try to stay late at Natural Bridges to see the stars over Monterey Bay:

07-15-2015, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

My advice is stay away from variable ND filters. I spent a lot of money on a top of the line variable ND and find that that the higher end you get a lot of banding. I will be replacing mine with 3 separate fixed ND filters.
07-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you're trying to save cash, Haida makes a nice 10 stop filter for about 1/3 the price. It may have a bit less flare resistance than the B+W. I can't speak to their other ND filters, because I haven't used them.
49mm
Haida Amazon.com : Haida 49mm Slim PROII Neutral Density Multi-Coated ND 3.0 1000x Filter : Camera Lens Neutral Density Filters : Camera & Photo - $27
vs BW Amazon.com : B+W F-Pro 49mm 3.0 ND 1000X MRC Multi-Resistant Coating 110M 110 Neutral Density Filter : Camera & Photo - $106

62mm
Haida http://www.amazon.com/Haida-Neutral-Density-Multi-Coated-Filter/dp/B00DNCNUHM - $52
vs BW Amazon.com : B&W B+W 62mm ND Neutral Density 3.0-1 000X MRC 110M Lens Filter - B&W 66-1066183 : Camera & Photo - $146

---------- Post added 07-15-15 at 01:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
My advice is stay away from variable ND filters. I spent a lot of money on a top of the line variable ND and find that that the higher end you get a lot of banding. I will be replacing mine with 3 separate fixed ND filters.
It's weird. I have one that shows noticeable banding at the darkest setting, and 2 that don't really. I stopped using the 49mm one, which didn't, because it's wider than the hood on my 15mm ltd, but I don't recall ever seeing any banding from it.
07-15-2015, 09:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
If you're trying to save cash, Haida makes a nice 10 stop filter for about 1/3 the price. It may have a bit less flare resistance than the B+W. I can't speak to their other ND filters, because I haven't used them.
49mm
Haida Amazon.com : Haida 49mm Slim PROII Neutral Density Multi-Coated ND 3.0 1000x Filter : Camera Lens Neutral Density Filters : Camera & Photo - $27
vs BW Amazon.com : B+W F-Pro 49mm 3.0 ND 1000X MRC Multi-Resistant Coating 110M 110 Neutral Density Filter : Camera & Photo - $106

62mm
Haida http://www.amazon.com/Haida-Neutral-Density-Multi-Coated-Filter/dp/B00DNCNUHM - $52
vs BW Amazon.com : B&W B+W 62mm ND Neutral Density 3.0-1 000X MRC 110M Lens Filter - B&W 66-1066183 : Camera & Photo - $146

---------- Post added 07-15-15 at 01:18 PM ----------

It's weird. I have one that shows noticeable banding at the darkest setting, and 2 that don't really. I stopped using the 49mm one, which didn't, because it's wider than the hood on my 15mm ltd, but I don't recall ever seeing any banding from it.
+1 on Haida

07-15-2015, 10:20 PM   #8
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Yep, keep it simple. I think these are a good value Tiffen ND Filter Kit

They work well for me, especially portraits in bright sun so I can shoot shallow DoF and fill with flash. Can stack all 3 for 9 stops.
07-16-2015, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up buying :

62 mm Circular Polarizing filter
62mm Hoya ND 400x , 9 stop
Dolica TX 570DS

Initially had ordered 77mm and then I realized filter size rings vary from each lens and according to this site mine was 62mm. Going from 77mm and 62 mm using step down rings would have been pain. So, I cancelled the order and bought the ones in the list. They will be arriving this evening.

@ Mike: That is a gorgeous photo. We will see if we can stick around late at night.
07-16-2015, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Mike is an amazingly talented photographer
My wife and I love the bay area and try to go at least once a year. Mike's pics make me want to live up there
(But then I remember the traffic and the housing costs and I am satisfied just visiting, lol)
07-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Initially had ordered 77mm and then I realized filter size rings vary from each lens and according to this site mine was 62mm. Going from 77mm and 62 mm using step down rings would have been pain.
For future reference, many lenses indicate filter size with the diameter symbol: ⌀ or ø (if neither of those show up, it's a circle with a diagonal line crossing it, but with the points outside so it doesn't look like a no smoking sign or something), like ⌀67mm. If they don't, the lens database here probably has the info.

Stepup rings are fine if you don't have a hood for the lens, but most of the time you'd probably rather have the hood with the appropriate ring. Pentax's modern hoods are nice because they have a little window you can remove from the bottom of the hood that gives you access to rotate polarizing/grad/variable ND/whatever else rotates filters without shoving your hand in the front of the hood and getting fingerprints all over the glass.

They do make them in direct steps, like 49 > 77, if you need - you don't have to go through a whole 49 > 52 > 55 > 58 > 62 > 67 > 72 > 77 progression.

Enjoy the filters - and try this out sometime now that you have some ND filters: https://iso.500px.com/time-stack-photo-tutorial/
07-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks all. I will keep those tips in mind for future reference. Had a fun weekend and this is my first attempt at long exposure photography.
07-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks all. I will keep those tips in mind for future reference. Had a fun weekend and this is my first attempt at long exposure photography.
Hmmm, were you using some sort of graduated ND filter on the left side of the frame? There looks to be a pretty sharp transition between the right side of the frame and the left side.
07-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #14

Original Poster
That was after editing or playing with filters (Tilt Shift). Original files looked this way.
I have to learn how to process images better. Working on it
07-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
yea, you made it there. nice