Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Takumars are Weatherproof ????

I just found an interesting article and I don't quite know what to think ? It sates that at least some of the Takumars are sealed with Dust and Moisture Proof seals !!!
Anyone have any input or thoughts ?
Here is the link and what appears to be some factory lingo is near the 2nd picture just past the lens diagram in the middle of the article that talks about seals and such. This is all new to me and now Im wondering just how Weatherproof Takumars really are ? Im kinda happy that maybe they are more weather Resistant than we are giving them credit ?
I have had to use a couple in rain that I thought for sure would ruin them and they are still ticking....Hmmmm...???
Am I WR Dreaming or is there some merit and truth to this ?
On a side note ......... its a rather interesting Pentax Takumar site.
Thanks....

Pentax Super-Takumar 24mm f/3.5 SM

Here is the quote from the link...."Fine optics alone cannot make a superior lens; the mechanical components are equally important. Lens barrels of Super-Takumar lenses are precision machined for accurate positioning of all elements. Tolerances are so tight you have to break a vacuum to disassemble some elements.(( Each Super-Takumar has dust and moisture-proof seals)) and a special diaphragm damper that cuts down on wear, vibration and bounce so you get consistent aperture openings".

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 07-15-2015 at 01:40 PM.
07-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think Pentax has ever claimed the Takumars were weather-resistant, although we know they always must have thought along those lines because they put seals in the LX to make it more dustproof and they're making weather-resistant lenses these days. I would guess the seals were more of an attempt to prevent fungus while building the best product they could. Pentax isn't as big a player as Nikon or Canon these days, but they most certainly were an equal back when the Takumars were made.
07-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the tolerances are good, it should be pretty well sealed. I don't think I'd press my luck too far, though. Certainly a prime will be more likely to be sealed pretty well than a zoom.
07-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Well, one thing is that the lens itself is weather resistant, and another thing is that the system is WR.I don't think the Takumars (or any early lenses, even K-mount) have WR mounts, so water could seep in there. Now, sure, with m37 and m42 mount, water has a low chance of getting in there, but if you use an adapter on K-mount, the adapter is definitely not WR. And you don't want to have water entering the mirror box.
But its nice that the lenses themselves have a good construction, resistant to dust and water. I never heard about this before, but cool

07-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
If the tolerances are good, it should be pretty well sealed. I don't think I'd press my luck too far, though. Certainly a prime will be more likely to be sealed pretty well than a zoom.
It would be interesting to establish whether or not Takumars are less prone to dust and fungus than the later generation of Pentax lenses with the exception of the WR ones.

Last edited by chmance; 07-15-2015 at 09:21 PM.
07-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The mount contacts on a DSLR are frightfully exposed when my 55/2.0 is on. I wouldn't take too many chances.
07-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Takumars are Weatherproof ????

Interesting link. Thanks.

All I can say is that my S-M-C Tak 50 f/1.4 is definitely not rain proof.