Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #1

Need Help: Which Lens to Rent?

I'm planning a trip to the Antelope Slot Canyons in Page, AZ on 6/30 with my k10. If you are not familiar with Antelope, here's a couple of links to give you an idea:

Lower Antelope
Navajo Parks & Recreation - Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Everything I've read indicates I need a wide angle lens for this endeavor, so I thought this would be a great time to try the lens rental site. Take a look at my options .. which one would you recommend, and why?

Online Camera Lens Rental for Canon, Nikon, and PENTAX Cameras

06-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
Forum Member

I've been there before and at the time I only had a point and shoot, but wide angles are very helpful. I would get the 12-24mm f4 or the sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6. Both are very wide and offer zoom which I personally like. Don't forget to bring a tripod and get an extented session. There is no light in the canyon at all but the place is amazing. Just so you know I've never used those 2 lenses before but if I had to choose I would choose one of them. Good luck.
06-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Inactive Account

cool lens rental

wow, I wish Canada or the UK had pentax lens rental places; it'd be great for trying out a lens before buying or for special trips.

The obvious lens would be the 12-24mm (you probably want a zoom as it doesn't look like there is too much space to move around in for composition).

Maybe the fish-eye zoom would be good to lead to some slightly different shots?
06-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I would say the 12-24 as well, reputed to be very sharp. I would also make sure you have a good tripod!

06-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Not Registered

Make sure that you have a good tripod-head. That cannyon needs them for taking the best out of it. Besides the ultra-wide, I think that I would recommend you to pick the 31 limited up, I think that the colors of the cannyon at sunset will shine more with the limited.
06-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxkat Quote
wow, I wish Canada or the UK had pentax lens rental places; it'd be great for trying out a lens before buying or for special trips.

The obvious lens would be the 12-24mm (you probably want a zoom as it doesn't look like there is too much space to move around in for composition).

Maybe the fish-eye zoom would be good to lead to some slightly different shots?
You know, someone else recommended a fish-eye, so I think I'm going to try one out. They have the Pentax 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye smcP-DA on their site, so I'll rent that one with the 12-24mm.

I honestly know nothing about lenses, so this is all new to me. I figure, by renting/using these different ones, I should get some hands-on learning. Does anyone have suggested reading on "leses 101" to understand how/why different types are used?

I have a Quantaray QSX-Digi Pro 8500 Tripod (again, dont know much about tripods, but I just picked that one up from the local Ritz Camera) and I also have a cable release ..AND I just ordered "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, so I should have everything I need!!

Thanks for the input
06-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think that is a great combo Fisheye and 12-24. I had this set up in Mexico and the fisheye came in handy here is one of the shots I really liked.

Here is a fisheye shot at 10mm there is no way I could have captured this with any other lens (ok maybe the Sigma 10-20)

One with the 12-24

Enjoy !