Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2015, 07:23 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Question on FA* Lens Hoods

Hey guys, sorry if this is a silly question. I was just wondering if the bayonet tabs on all FA* hoods are the same. for example, if the FA* 200mm f2.8, FA* 400mm f5.6 and the FA* 80-200mm f2.8 all share the same filter thread dimensions (77mm), would they also share similar or identical bayonet designs? I'm only asking because I'm thinking of buying a FA* 80-200mm f2.8, but I would really prefer a hood that shades the front element better than the stupid FA 28-70mm f2.8 hood, without resorting to screw in hoods. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Edit: On closer inspection, I believe that I'd have better luck asking if the DA* Hoods for the 200mm f2.8 and 300mm f4 would fit, as looking at the tabs between the FA* Primes and the 80-200mm, they are of completely different design.

Last edited by Joshua A; 07-19-2015 at 07:29 AM.
07-19-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest you check the lens review section and read which lens hood is supposed to fit:
SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Apparently these both use the "PH-RBK 77 mm" hood. But generally speaking just because the filter threads are the same size, doesn't necessarily mean the bayonet will be the same, because the lens hood depends on focal length and aperture. Its just that most telephoto lenses have a fairly relaxed lens hood anyway. UWA lenses need a hood right up to the edge of their FoV, and it still won't shield the lens perfectly; but telephoto lens hoods can take a really long lens hood before it would start vignetting, so they usually come with a lens hood that not "as long as possible", but just "long enough to shield the front element". So I guess there is a better chance for telephotos to share a lens hood than WA lenses. Anyway, I think you should check each lens specifically so you don't make a mistake. Some hoods can be pretty expensive. (though, you can usually find cheaper knockoffs online)
07-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
Hey guys, sorry if this is a silly question. I was just wondering if the bayonet tabs on all FA* hoods are the same. for example, if the FA* 200mm f2.8, FA* 400mm f5.6 and the FA* 80-200mm f2.8 all share the same filter thread dimensions (77mm), would they also share similar or identical bayonet designs? I'm only asking because I'm thinking of buying a FA* 80-200mm f2.8, but I would really prefer a hood that shades the front element better than the stupid FA 28-70mm f2.8 hood, without resorting to screw in hoods. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Edit: On closer inspection, I believe that I'd have better luck asking if the DA* Hoods for the 200mm f2.8 and 300mm f4 would fit, as looking at the tabs between the FA* Primes and the 80-200mm, they are of completely different design.
The hoods a definitely designed differently from lens to lens. I haven't played with the DA* hoods on FA* lenses but I doubt that they would latch on securely.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

there is a thread on this forum about hoods from da* 300 that fit on the fa* 28-70 and 80-200 but you need to grind the hood down otherwise you can not use af...

07-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
there is a thread on this forum about hoods from da* 300 that fit on the fa* 28-70 and 80-200 but you need to grind the hood down otherwise you can not use af...
This thread contains my experiences (and others), hope it helps...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/111533-fa-2...-solution.html

07-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another alternative hood for 80-200

Another hood that works for the Pentax FA* 80-200 is the hood for the Pentax 645 FA* 300mm (PH-RBE77).

I have tried this combo myself, and the bayonet mount of this hood works fine with this lens. The hood itself is quite massive.

I don't have any pictures of this setup since I no longer own the 80-200. I did manage to find this link describing the hood, its use with this lens, and pictures of the setup:

http://s.webry.info/sp/61174813.at.webry.info/201405/article_1.html

Unless you can read japanese you'll probably have to Google translate this one.
07-21-2015, 05:34 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your insights. To be honest, I'm only purchasing the FA* 80-200mm f2.8 because I need a telephoto zoom for a job, and Ricoh keeps postponing the launch of the DFA* 70-200mm f2.8. So its an interim solution. When the 70-200mm does rock up though, I'll be sure to do a write up comparing the two of them. Once again, thanks for the replies.