Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Old syle Helios-44-2 bokeh

Today I went shopping in Victoria Market in Melbourne and I decided to take my camera with me in order to test my newly acquired Helios-44-2.

Here some of the shots I got with this lens made somewhere in the 1960's. All the shots are taken at the maximum aperture of the lens f/2.

And this is a 100% crop of the above image:

This lens shares the same optical design as Zeiss Biotar 58mm f/2.

I used to have modern Helios-44M-4 version of this lens but found the old one sharper.

For such an old design I am surprised how sharp this lens is.

The bokeh is nothing to boast but this lens provide a different, old time look that we cannot get from a modern lens.

06-16-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My Helios-44-2 contribution. Notice the shadows of the small hairs.

06-16-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
AML

Voe, thanks for posting this thread on the Helios. I found it very interesting seeing these pics, i don't have the 44-2, but do have the 44-4 in the mail. It will be my first Russian lens, so i'm very curious to see how it performs.

I love the vibrant colours in your first two pics. Is it me, or does the Bokeh look a little unusual in pics 2? Voe, i think it's my monitor, but in the girl portrait shot her skin tone looks like it has a greenish cast to it.

Zewrak, Wow! That certain is a great shot. It's hairs look so soft and cuddly hehe!! Love the detail.
06-16-2008, 05:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Aw maaan, now I'm sorry I sold my copy.

06-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AML Quote
Voe, thanks for posting this thread on the Helios. I found it very interesting seeing these pics, i don't have the 44-2, but do have the 44-4 in the mail. It will be my first Russian lens, so i'm very curious to see how it performs.

I love the vibrant colours in your first two pics. Is it me, or does the Bokeh look a little unusual in pics 2? Voe, i think it's my monitor, but in the girl portrait shot her skin tone looks like it has a greenish cast to it.

Zewrak, Wow! That certain is a great shot. It's hairs look so soft and cuddly hehe!! Love the detail.
Hi Ane,

The bokeh from this lens is a little bit unusual yes, actually it is much different than what I used to get from the Helios-44M-4 that I used to have. This one is not nessesary bad or good, it's just different. Just like with paint brushes it is always better to have some variety and I find that this particular lens "paints" the bokeh quite differently than anything I have seen.

The skin on the girl might be affected by the mixture between daylight and tungsteen lighting and maybe the Auto white balance of my K10D got perplexed. I did not touch these images except slightly adjusting contrast and brightness.

Taken into account that this lens is a copy of Zeiss Biotar 58mm f/2 made by most likely german machinery and german workers taken by the russians after WWII, like most Zeiss lenses this lens gives the cold (maybe bluish) rendering.

I am glad that there is someone else on this forum interested in old russian lenses

Hi Zewrak,

Can you post some more pics made with this lens that shows its bokeh?
I noticed that in some situation this lens brings a beautiful bokeh and in others not as standard as we are used to see.

Thanks.

Dan, this mistake is very easy and cheap to fix
I saw some beautiful close focus photos when you add an extension tube.
Cheers,

Last edited by Voe; 06-16-2008 at 06:03 AM.
06-16-2008, 06:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The bokeh looks a lot like the K mounts that people have been posting, not to my fancy, but aside from that, the images have an awesome 3D affect with brilliant colors and contrast. The silhouetted woman at the market is just awsomely sharp, I feel like I am looking at a real person.
06-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Hi Ane,
Hi Zewrak,

Can you post some more pics made with this lens that shows its bokeh?
I noticed that in some situation this lens brings a beautiful bokeh and in others not as standard as we are used to see.

Thanks.

Dan, this mistake is very easy and cheap to fix
I saw some beautiful close focus photos when you add an extension tube.
Cheers,
Suppose I could take some..

Here are two with bellows + helios, since you are talking about tubes.

Flickr Photo Download: Insect
Flickr Photo Download: Fly

06-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Bokeh From my 44M-4:
06-17-2008, 03:25 AM   #9
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are some of my photos taken with Helios-44M-4.

06-17-2008, 05:40 AM   #10
Forum Member

Hi Voe,

What follows is OT a bit. Hope you don't mind.

I have a Helios-44M-4. It gave me a scarce when I mounted it first time on my k10d because I had great difficulty to dismount it.

I later gathered that the Helios, unlike the Takumars, has no A/M switch. Hence the stop down pin could get stuck into certain opening of the PK mount. This therefore impedes the unscrewing of the M42 lens from the camera body. I did not recall what I did to get the stop-down pin undone and was hence able to dismount the lens.

Since then, I dared not to try the Helios-44M-4 on my k10d anymore. Seeing your shots, I am now tempted to try it out again. Could you kindly share with me how you overcome this hurdle of dismounting the lens from a DSLR body? Thanks!

For your information, I used a genuine Pentax PK-M42 adapter.

Last edited by dancheng; 06-17-2008 at 05:51 AM.
06-17-2008, 05:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dancheng Quote
Could you share how you overcome this hurdle of dismounting the lens from a DSLR body? Thanks!

Probably because the 44-2 has an A/M switch.

I know my 44-M did.
06-17-2008, 06:36 AM   #12
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Voe,

I have a Helios-44M-4. It gave me a scarce when I mounted it first time on my k10d because I had great difficulty to dismount it.

I later gathered that the Helios, unlike the Takumars, has no A/M switch. Hence the stop down pin could get stuck into certain opening of the PK mount. This therefore impedes the unscrewing of the M42 lens from the camera body. I did not recall what I did to get the stop-down pin undone and was hence able to dismount the lens.

Since then, I dared not to try the Helios-44M-4 on my k10d anymore. Seeing your shots, I am now tempted to try it out again. Could you kindly share with me how you overcome this hurdle of dismounting the lens from a DSLR body? Thanks!

Hi Dancheng,

I know your pain. I had similar fear with other lenses but I found a workaround that I read somewhere else and it is to get one of these small tubes of Superglue, get a needle or a match and put a small drop of glue on the stop-down ping and hold it for a while.
Or sometimes I use the weight if the lens itself and leave it sitting over a plate so the pin is pressed in. I leave it for 30-60 minutes until the glue is dry.
That's it.
06-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #13
AML

Hi Voe,

dancheng, your post concerns me. I have a Helios 44M in the mail along with a Pentax M42 adapter. This will be my first time using this combination, and after reading about your troubles with these and the K10D, i'm not sure i want to try them now.
06-17-2008, 06:54 AM   #14
AML

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Hi Dancheng,

I know your pain. I had similar fear with other lenses but I found a workaround that I read somewhere else and it is to get one of these small tubes of Superglue, get a needle or a match and put a small drop of glue on the stop-down ping and hold it for a while.
Or sometimes I use the weight if the lens itself and leave it sitting over a plate so the pin is pressed in. I leave it for 30-60 minutes until the glue is dry.
That's it.
Hmmm! Is there any other workaround besides using a glue? I cannot use glue so this isn't an option for me.
06-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AML Quote
Hmmm! Is there any other workaround besides using a glue? I cannot use glue so this isn't an option for me.
Some people stick a toothpick into it and break it off.