Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2015, 08:02 AM - 2 Likes   #1

a chronic buyer seller; love for the 20-40

For those who are on the fence about this lens (and I often see people on the fence about the lens), I'm here to profess my love for the 20-40mm LTD. It's the only thing keeping me back from jumping to Fujifilm.

I don't think that this journey is atypical -- I started with M42 prime lenses (Super Tak 50mm 1.4, etc), manual focusing was cumbersome before focus peaking. Also, switching between bayonet and screw drive on the same camera body just wasn't always fun. Sometimes you just miss the moment. I sold the M42 lenses and bought similar M lenses. Meh, they have the metal barrel, but it's just not the same as holding the knurls on Takumars. I sold the M's and went for F lenses (backwards, I know.) Having autofocus is great! But then I got tired of switching lenses in general. And the screwdrive autofocus was pretty loud compared to other cameras around me. When the price of the 20-40mm dropped, I sold all of my lenses and Q to finance it. Finally, I get to use a WR lens, quiet DC motor autofocusing, AND the Takumar knurls!

Recently, B&H had a bundle for Fuji X-Pro 1 + 35mm + 27mm for $949, essentially the cost of the body was free. I could sell the 20-40mm, my camera bodies to fund the Fuji kit... but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I treat the 20-40mm as a 30mm with some leeway, and a very welcome leeway at that. I wasn't sure if I could go back to a 35mm prime, a focal length too narrow for some landscape shots. With the 20-40mm, I can give the camera/lens a quick rinse from a day at the beach, after sand just gets everywhere. I can take pictures by the poolside. I can take pictures in light rain and not worry about it. And most important of all, I look at the lens and it makes me want to pick it up. When I pick it up, I am reminded of how unique it is.

When I was reading about the X-Pro 1, I came across Zack Aria's article about how the Fuji system evokes an emotion for him to pick up the camera and use it. I can see that, I had the X30 for a bit. I've used the X100 briefly. Fuji makes great cameras and their JPEG engine is awesome. But for me, Pentax's WR lets you stop thinking about where you are with your electronics and more about capturing that memory or emotion. And really, it's all aided by the 20-40mm, which lets you forget about what lens you have on.

07-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I've bought this lens from a member on this forum a few days ago and I can't wait to try it. It should arrive within 2 days. I understand it isn't as sharp as other lenses but the WR is a big deal for me. The limited lenses are the only reason I chose Pentax but I wish they are all WR like the 20-40mm!

Last edited by farhaddad; 07-22-2015 at 08:27 AM.
07-22-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ppppsssstttt Quote
I don't think that this journey is atypical -- I started with M42 prime lenses.

When the price of the 20-40mm dropped, I sold all of my lenses and Q to finance it. Finally, I get to use a WR lens, quiet DC motor autofocusing, AND the Takumar knurls!
My journey was similar, starting from a 55/1.8 Tak.

With the DA 20-40, it's the subtle rendering that really does it for me.
Since the knurls aren't concave,
and the zoom ring is stiff (as it should be), not buttery,
I don't quite get that Takumar vibe. YMMV.

---------- Post added 07-22-15 at 10:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by farhaddad Quote
I understand it isn't as sharp as other lenses
You have been misinformed!

Optyczne/Lenstip did some good testing,
and at f/8, the DA 20-40, at all reported focal lengths,
came within 10% of the optimum sharpness of the FA 31.
07-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
My journey was similar, starting from a 55/1.8 Tak.

With the DA 20-40, it's the subtle rendering that really does it for me.
Since the knurls aren't concave,
and the zoom ring is stiff (as it should be), not buttery,
I don't quite get that Takumar vibe. YMMV.

---------- Post added 07-22-15 at 10:33 AM ----------

Depending on focal length and subject distance used.. f4.5 is more than sufficient to give nice sharp images only expensive lenses can match. And image rendering of this lens is just as good as it gets so close to the 'real' scene with very little distortion (which Silkypix 6 corrects with one click).

07-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #5

Well, I'm glad I was misinformed f/8 isn't very useful for what I shoot.
07-23-2015, 06:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by farhaddad Quote
f/8 isn't very useful for what I shoot.
No problem, the center is sharp (40 lp/mm or better) wide open at all focal lengths.
07-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #7

No problem, the center is sharp (40 lp/mm or better) wide open at all focal lengths.
Nice to know. I'll get it today and I'll test it. Speaking of limited lenses, I've just ordered 77mm limited 1 hour ago. This one should be sharp!