Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #1

Lens for Studio Photogrpahy

Hi everyone,

I will be attending a studio workshop coming weekend. Implied nude photography is the theme. Any tips for studio photography and best lens to use or invest in future? As of now, I have 18-135 mm lens and DA 35mm F2.4 lens.
On lower end of budget, will DA 50mm be a good investmentor any other third party lens suggestions? Thanks

07-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by indianswift Quote
Hi everyone,

I will be attending a studio workshop coming weekend. Implied nude photography is the theme. Any tips for studio photography and best lens to use or invest in future? As of now, I have 18-135 mm lens and DA 35mm F2.4 lens.
On lower end of budget, will DA 50mm be a good investmentor any other third party lens suggestions? Thanks
The DA 50 is a fantastically sharp and affordable lens. No reason not to have it.

I think that kit will serve you well. Studio and boudoir are a lot more about lighting than lenses.
07-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by indianswift Quote
will DA 50mm be a good investmentor
I think so. Maybe you would prefer the DFA 50mm f2.8 macro in case you want to do product photo photography (macro lenses tend to be even sharper, with a very clinical look, which makes them well-suited for product photos and closeups). But it really depends on what kind of studio photography you will be doing. If you want portraiture, the DA 50mm f1.8 is an okay place to start, and the DA* 55mm f1.4 is the higher end for portraiture (along with FA 77mm ltd).
Keep in mind that for studios, there are many other important things to consider, like lights, backgrounds.. and space. If the studio is small, then you will have a hard time using, for example, 135mm lenses for portraits.

And the lenses that you already have should be okay for the workshop. I think for workshops they usually take care of lighting for you (and teach you how to do it). Try the 35mm, and if its FoV is too restrictive, try the zoom. A good thing with the Pentax system is that the gear is fairly compact, so you can bring along a couple lenses without trouble. They will probably teach you what aperture to use, White Balance settings, and Exposure compensation (EV +/-). And of course how to position yourself

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-22-2015 at 12:04 PM.
07-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'd suggest the DA50 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, or if affordable the DA*55 1.4 , or HD70 ltd (70mm may be too long).

07-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would probably go with the zoom(18-135). If there are going to be other photographers/students there, you are bound to get into each others way. A zoom will spare you the aggravation of having to fight for spots.
07-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Find out if the studio will be using constant lighting for the shoot. If it does, you should be fine with your 18-135 mm lens. Take your 35 mm lens for backup and low light situations.
07-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #7

Original Poster
This will be my first time . So, just looking forward to learn and build contacts. I had considered buying 50mm lens but I ended up ordering 35 mm when I ordered K-3 about a month ago. 35mm has great sharpness too but have to be closer to subject. I will know depending on studio settings.

@ Na Horuk : Good idea. I've always been interested in macro photography. I will probably save for DFA 50mm f2.8as it gives more room to experiment.
@hjoseph7 : Yes, there will be at least 6-8 more photographers. Each photographer will be taking turns.
@Vantage-point : Lighting is provided by them. Low lighting depends on the shoot I guess. I will carry both lens, tripod and remote.

Thanks

07-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

With studio lighting you can use the lenses you have with the 18-135 probably being your most used lens for the shoot. The 35 2.4 will come in handy for close ups just watch the distortion
07-23-2015, 04:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I avoid wider than 40 in the studio when I can, it brings unflattering distorsions.

The DA50 is plenty sharp, however its AF is the noisiest I've ever heard. That annoys me no end.

If the studio is small, maybe look at a XS 40mm? They're cheap. If you have room and want to buy yourself a treat, the 70 Limited is well suited for this. A longer focal length will give you some distance between the subject and you, not a bad thing with a bare model. Otherwise, a zoom such as the Tamron 28-75 mentionned earlier would work well, or even a 100 macro.

The FA50 and F50 f1,7 are better versions of the DA50, they would be good choices too. The F50 in particular is now selling very cheap on the used market.
07-23-2015, 05:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For now, take your zoom and learn about technique. For the future you will probably want a lens in the 50-85 range with a usable wide aperture. You really won't know which prime (if it is a prime) until you see which distances and framings are comfortable. The zoom is the easiest way to learn that.

The DA 50 is so cheap that it is almost a no lose purchase, but for anything pricier I'd get some time in the studio with the zoom first.