Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2015, 01:28 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
43mm. It was the last one I bought a few years ago and has become my fav of the three bar-none.
I ADORED the DA15, but i sold it after a couple months because it's ridiculous amount of vignetting on my full frame bodies. The same would hold true for me and the 20-40mm but as I understand the middle of it's range does OK on film... Even so, there are other choices, though the WR is tempting. At any rate, but the 43, particularly if you're wanting to replace the 50 you have with an AF lens.
Ummmm, I'm pretty sure the OP is shooting with an APS-C DSLR, so your unsurprising experience with the DA15 on film bodies is probably irrelevant.

I'm looking forward to using the FA43 on full frame too, but I have not fallen in love with it on APS-C

07-23-2015, 05:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
15/31/77 will comfortably cover 90% of your photographic needs with pixie dust to burn. As you already have two thirds of that collection, adding a tiny jewel of a prime makes more sense to me than a considerably bigger zoom.
if you want FF then the FA43 is the way to go, else DA15 is all you'll need, IQ is great, no need to increase clarity, saturation.. in pp
07-23-2015, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Sorry to give an answer that is not wholly serious, but the question "which Limited's to choose?" is not a logical one.

The question is more "which Limited's to buy last?"

You have to buy them all...
07-23-2015, 05:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
You have to buy them all...
Finally! Some sensible advice ;-)

07-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fishbones Quote
SNIP...I currently own the FA31mm, FA77mm and a smc A50 1.4. I want to add a wide angle lens and replace the 50mm with an auto focus lens. I have finally short listed either the DA15mm Ltd and a FA43mm or the 20-40mm Ltd...SNIP
Benefits of the 20-40: WR which you don't have from any of your other lenses. The zoom adds versatility but the 20-40 has a fairly restricted range compared to other zooms.

Benefits of the 15+43 combo: You can go much wider. At the long end, the 43 is 2 stops faster than the 20-40; this is important if you shoot in dim light or prefer a thin depth of field.

If I step a little outside your short list, I think the 31 and 43 are close enough in focal length to defer the 43 purchase. I might add a zoom with more versatility than the 20-40 (the 16-50, 16-85, or 18-135 if the 20-40's small size isn't essential for you). The DA 15 could still belong in your collection because no zoom matches the DA15's flare resistance.
07-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #21

Original Poster
Well all fantastic and intelligent advice (some even made me smile) I think from these answers I had better go and complete the trio and then track down a DA15mm. Thank you all for your time and well thought out argument, your partners may never say it but to me you all made good sense
07-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Benefits of the 20-40...

Benefits of the 15+43 combo: You can go much wider. At the long end, the 43 is 2 stops faster than the 20-40; this is important if you shoot in dim light or prefer a thin depth of field.
20-40 is not really wide - not even as wide as a kit lens. So, I vote 15/43.

07-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I have owned every limited, FA and DA, except the 20-40mm and 31mm (and the 31mm is in the mail ).
Here is my rundown:

DA 15mm: Great little lens. If you like to include the sun in your landscapes, this is the ultimate lens. Perfect complement for the 18-135mm, can easily fit in your pocket when you are hiking. Wide, but not "obnoxiously" so.
DA 21mm: Small enough that there isn't an excuse to ever not have it with you. But I really didn't click with the focal length. Kind of wide, but not dramatically so. Would probably be great for stitched panoramas and street shooting (nice for environmental portraiture, not my cup o' tea, but if it is yours, I would look strongly at this lens).
DA 35mm Macro: Nice and starting sharp wide open. Great versatile focal length for an APS-C camera. This is the ultimate flower lens. I sometimes wish it were a stop faster for indoor use, but of course that would make it bigger. I personally would prefer the bigger size, but cannot fault them at all for making that trade. All in all, a solid lens.
FA 43mm: Very underrated, maybe because it isn't a typical FL for APS-C lenses....but I think it adds to the charm. You get a little more intimate with your subject than with a "normal" lens. I LOVE it's rendering.
DA 70mm: Very compact. It is very sharp, but kind of a "meh" lens to me. I am not particularly enamored with its rendering.
FA 77mm: Now this is a lens whose rendering I am very enamored with When you nail focus wide open (not necessarily easy), and you have good lighting, it can turn the most mundane subject into a work of art. Is prone to purple fringing, so watch your background. I just love this lens.
DFA 100mm Macro WR: I know, not technically a limited...but it should be I had a Canon 100mm Macro L, and the size differential between these 2 lenses (both of which are full frame lenses) is just mind boggling. It also doubles as a great portrait lens.

No thoughts on the 31mm yet...I cant wait to get it into my grubby hands

If I could only choose 2....idk. My starting point would be 15, 31, 43, 77 and 100mm. They all perform different missions, definitely not apples-to-apples (how does one compare a wide angle to a portrait lens to a macro??)