Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Takumar 50mm F/1.4 M-42 distance scales

I recently picked up my second M-42 lens, a Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm F/1.4. I got it off ebay, but failed to notice in the description that the distant scale does not work or move. I paid $53, which I thought was a good price? My question is can this non functioning "distant scale" be repaired? The rest of the lens is in excellent condition,

Attached is a test photo taken at F1.4, which was taken in raw, processed in LR including cropping. A tripod was used. My main reason for obtaining this lens is for night time photography. I also want a manual lens in the 24-30mm range for the same reason. I chose M-42's because of their lower cost and the few times I would use them.

---------- Post added 07-22-15 at 07:41 PM ----------

In checking the spec's on this lens, I noticed the minimum focus distance is 45 cm, which is about 18 inches. I am not sure now, but the above posted photo might have been taken at less than 18". I better do some more test.

07-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If I'm not mistaken the distance scale is merely glued on to the barrel and many times the glue dries out. It's just a matter of some disassembly and re-glueing the scale. Check the lens disassembly database.
07-23-2015, 05:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Be careful when you disassemble the lens, depend on the version you get, it might be complicated or easy. My new smc takumar (rubberized ring) is a little more complicated to repair than older (metal ring) ones.
This article might help : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/217082-ta...egreasing.html
07-23-2015, 06:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would just send the lens back for full refund. There are plenty of 50mm f1.4 lenses on the market.

07-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me it looks like the focus throw needs adjustment. Can you focus to infinity?

The adjustment is fairly simple, but does require some tools and a little patience.
07-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the information. As for sending it back for a refund, while I could do it I don't feel it would be the correct thing to do. The seller did properly describe the lens, I just failed to completely read it. I know how to use hyper distance anyway, but if is easy to repair I still will give it a try.
I will check the lens again today for infinity focus. The M-42 adapter I have is suppose to allow infinity focus.
07-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Does the focus ring turn at all? If not, then this probably means the helicoid is jammed for one reason or another.

Loose distance scale:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/135293-s-m-...e-problem.html
07-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The focus ring turns smoothly with a slight drag. I don't think there is any other problem with the lens, and I guess the distance scale is not necessary, but I do want to correct it.

Last edited by Wingincamera; 07-23-2015 at 11:22 AM.
07-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The fix is pretty straight forward. You don't even have to take the helicoid apart. Just turn the focus to the infinity stop, check the focus through the viewfinder on some object in the distance that is in focus at the stop. Then remove the trim ring, the filter ring and the focus ring. Glue the scale back on. Put the focus ring on at the infinity stop, check the focus. If it is off, take off the focus ring and focus on the same distant object turning the focus barrel with your fingers and replace the focus ring. Put the focus ring screws back on and tighten them down. Check the focus again. The photos in the link I posted above will step you through the process.