07-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
NEW, & looking for 50mm advice in Old Primes

Hello - about me :

My 1st SLR - K1000,
then add an ME Super,
then add a K500.

Note all K-Mount Cams,
so lens's have been acquired over the years.

Then DIGITAL came along ( long time ago ) ...
Lens's became shelf dwellers
while I used ho-hum digital cam ( for a decade ) ...

I just this spring got my first DSLR - a Canon APS-C T3i.
Kit lens - 18 to 55 mm.

Always eyed a PENTAX system - but the Canon was a gift - gift horse, ya know? ... it's mouth is fine.
So dont shoot me cuz I use a Canon, I cut my teeth on PENTAX from processing my own film to making prints in the darkroom... and hey, um hang'n with the PENTAX peeps, not the Canon ones.

So for decades, my K-Mount lens's safely stored never even considering the thought of selling anything,
I held on to those K-Mount lens's in hopes of one day being able to use them again,
and then through looking at what lens to buy next ( for the T3i ), I discovered photodiox adapters - so I got one,
PK to EOS, and tried out some of my K-Mount lens's.

Is it just me or do these images seem better than what my kit lens can produce ?

They seem richer, more depth of colour, saturated better, just more ... real !!

Is this a common thing - people going back to these old lens's from the 1980's ?

I like being able to play with depth of field,
getting nice bokeh at play, and making images speak to the purpose of having shot it.

I ordered 2 more adaptors.

I've spent allot of time looking on line as to what are great legacy manual focus lens's
in the 50mm focal length - can you folks recommend some great 50mm lens's - PENTAX or others.

I've looked at allot of the reviews on this site and they are very helpful,
plus the example image are quite inspiring.
Would I be exaggerating in comparing some of the results of old prime lens's
to what would now in a fully loaded auto AF/IS new lens's, go for multi hundreds of dollars per lens?
Maybe even comparable to Canon L glass levels ??? or is that a stretch ??

I have :
SMC PENTAX-M 2.8 50mm ( 2 of them )
SMC PENTAX-A 2.8 28mm
and 4 other non Pentax - 28mm, 55mm, 135mm, and 80/300 zoom,

but 50 mm seems to have my attention, or a smaller given the crop factor of APS C of 1.6.

So I'd love to know if anyone else is like me - a Canon APS C use who is lusting for for the purity
of old primes of the 1980's and what lens's give super sharp images while offering creativity
to use depth of field as one desires.

Thanks - Mr. Paul -

07-23-2015, 03:28 AM   #2

I don't know much about specific vintage lenses, but I would mention that when you get bored with the camera body, or the inevitable happens and something fails out of warranty, keep in mind that Pentax usually heavily discounts models that are on their way out. For instance, right now the K-50 is below $300 for a body-only kit. These would use all your lenses without an adapter. Assuming your Canon body is less than a year old, you might want to start keeping an eye on Pentax bodies in about 3-4 years.

Are your other "non-Pentax" lenses K-mount? Don't forget that every Pentax body would bring in-body shake-reduction to your 80-300 zoom (assuming it's K-mount).
07-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a nifty 50mm, my suggestion IMHO would be Pentax F 50mm 1.7. I picked up this lens used about 3 months ago and definitely love the results. I also have the FA 24mm F2 and F 28mm F2.8 which render very nicely with my K-5 and K-5iis. From a zoom perspective, the FA 20-35mm F4 and F 35-70mm F3.5 are fabulous old glass that are prime like and deliver great results.