Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samyang collection

Samyang just keeps popping out these fast primes, I'm thinking of starting my own collection.

First would probably be the 85 F1.4m then maybe the 16 F2 or a 14mm

Anyone have a handful of samyangs?

07-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The 85mm is a great starting point, however, be aware that some copies develop aperture-related issues. I had a copy, purchased used from Amazon, that started to stick every few photos, as the lens would not close down properly and leave my images overexposed.

The 35mm is also a great starting point if you like the wider angle. If you are interested in the 35mm, PM me, as I have on on the Marketplace right now.
07-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just noticed a 135 F2 that i bet would be great with a TC
07-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

That 135 is also on my shortlist, as the Samyangs have great manual focus. You pretty much can't go wrong with Samyangs if you are interested in shooting film either, since many are full-frame compatible.

07-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Theres a 85 F1.4 in the marketplace now that I almost PM'd him on like 3 times now then another bill shows its ugly head
07-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think there is at least one user on these forums who has the whole Samyang K-mount collection. They all seem to be optically very good, I enjoy the one that I have.
I have the 14mm, but I would actually recommend the 16mm f2.0. Faster, easier to focus, not as awkwardly wide, but still ultra wide and can be used for astrophotos, interior, etc. without the heavy distortions
07-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think there is at least one user on these forums who has the whole Samyang K-mount collection. They all seem to be optically very good, I enjoy the one that I have.
I have the 14mm, but I would actually recommend the 16mm f2.0. Faster, easier to focus, not as awkwardly wide, but still ultra wide and can be used for astrophotos, interior, etc. without the heavy distortions
Or go crazy and go with the 8mm.

In fact there's a copy on KEH for 175, I'd buy it if I had the money.

07-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I buy everything used, marketplace here is my first go to, then to KEH. Only iffy experience i ever had with them is my 50 F1.4 was pretty dusty when they said EX+. They offered to clean it but I had already taken it apart myself and made it worse lol, so I told them I'll just live with it.
07-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
I buy everything used, marketplace here is my first go to, then to KEH. Only iffy experience i ever had with them is my 50 F1.4 was pretty dusty when they said EX+. They offered to clean it but I had already taken it apart myself and made it worse lol, so I told them I'll just live with it.
Yes in the future do contact KEH before trying anything yourself. They're extremely good with customer service and are sure to make things right.

However finding used Samyangs seems to be an issue considering how many names they go by and just their general infrequency of resale anyways.
07-23-2015, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got the 8FE/10/14/16/24/35 and 85. They don't all get as much use as I'd like, but when there's a sale, I try to encourage Samyang to keep making K-mount lenses. Also, I'm kind of placating the "me from 20 years ago" who craved fast wide lenses. (He had better eyes than I do, unfortunately.)

I also find the 16mm to be a lot easier to focus than the 14mm. I'll probably get the 12mm fisheye, but I'm hesitating on the 50, 100, and 135 - they're rather big and expensive for focal lengths I already have covered reasonably well. I suspect filling in gaps in the Cine line is driving their new lens choices these days.
07-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I've got the 8FE/10/14/16/24/35 and 85. They don't all get as much use as I'd like, but when there's a sale, I try to encourage Samyang to keep making K-mount lenses. Also, I'm kind of placating the "me from 20 years ago" who craved fast wide lenses. (He had better eyes than I do, unfortunately.)

I also find the 16mm to be a lot easier to focus than the 14mm. I'll probably get the 12mm fisheye, but I'm hesitating on the 50, 100, and 135 - they're rather big and expensive for focal lengths I already have covered reasonably well. I suspect filling in gaps in the Cine line is driving their new lens choices these days.
The 12mm looks brilliant, although much more expensive than the 8mm
07-23-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

THoog, I was thinking about you (and Fookus)

Is the 12mm even for K-mount? I thought its for some others.
I saw some photos taken with the 135mm and they are really great, but yeah, its a bit expensive, so my DFA 100mm will have to do. Anyway, there is a Samyang lens club for the OP to check out: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/137335-samyang-lens-club-43.html
It could use some more active posters
07-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
Samyang just keeps popping out these fast primes, I'm thinking of starting my own collection.

First would probably be the 85 F1.4m then maybe the 16 F2 or a 14mm

Anyone have a handful of samyangs?
i have the 85/1.4 the 14/2.8 and the 8mm fisheye

i find them exceptional as long as you like MF

coatings on the 14 and fisheye are pretty good and not too flare prone considering wide field of view and the fact the sun is always in the frame.

the 14 does have substantial barrel distortion however.
07-23-2015, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the 12mm even for K-mount? I thought its for some others.
There are two 12mm Samyangs - the 12mm F2.0 rectilinear for mirrorless mounts only, and the 12mm F2.8 fullframe fisheye for DSLR mounts AND mirrorless. The 8mm FE could sort of do FF, but it turned into a full-circle or part-circle fisheye and there were issues with the hood. Later "red ring" versions of it have a removable hood. The 8mm is a blast (and a great gateway drug for "going fishing"), and the 10mm F2.8 rectilinear is also a lot of fun. There's still some distortion, but it's fairly easy to fix.

Gaah! I've been unable to leave town for two months because of work, and there's nothing BIG enough around here for such wide lenses!
07-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just ordered the 10mm f/2.8 last sat. night for night and astro. If amazon tracking is to be believed, I should have it on Monday.