Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Talk me into or out of the DA70

This isn't supposed to be a 70 vs 77 thread or question. It's more about the nature of the 70, not whether it is better or worse than the 77.

All the recent threads about the limited lenses has gotten to me, and reawakened my LBA for fine, small, lightweight lenses. I also really like silver lenses on my white camera.

I don't own the 70. The main 2 reasons I'm thinking about getting it is that I can get it in silver and I already have the 15, 21, 31, 35 macro, 40, 43, and 77. The last limited I bought was the 43, and I got it mostly on a whim and because the silver was on sale, lower than the black version, and I wasn't happy with the 40 (and why not, I already had the other 2). I have since made friends with the 40, but I instantly understood and felt at home with the 43, so I have no regrets about buying it. I just love it's character, and even though the focal length is almost the same as the 40, it has such a different character. But it's larger and heavier than the 40, so The 40 goes in the bag if it's full with other lenses and I want a light walk-about lens. So I have no intentions of selling any of my limiteds.

I've never been particularly attracted to the 70, mostly because the 77 was my first limited lens and it serves me well. But now I'm hearing the 70 call my name, and it's discounted now. Not as much as some of the other limited lenses, but it's not full price, either. I mean, after all, I do have all the other ones, why not finish off the set?

Logic tells me that's a lousy reason to buy a lens. That was the reason I bought the 43, and it became one of my favorite lenses. Is the character or size/weight/sharpness/character or whatever make it worth getting for someone who also has the 77? I wonder if I'm missing something by not buying the 70.

So all opinions are welcome - try to talk me into buying it or talk me out of buying it.

07-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have the 77. I have the DA70 and like it a whole bunch.

But I have to say that when I want to shoot with something with that (approximate) focal length, and want the photo to be a little more... artsy, maybe is the word... I reach for my Jupiter-9 85/2.
07-23-2015, 09:22 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I mean, after all, I do have all the other ones, why not finish off the set?
I'd say that's about the best reason. The 70 always seemed to fit in the bag.
07-23-2015, 11:21 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

This is LBA at its peak. You have the 77mm and your are happy with it. The 70mm will look good on your shelves, but will you use it? 70 mm and 77 mm are very close focal lengths. If you shoot often with 70-80mm focal length, then yes you will see a difference and you will enjoy two lenses. Otherwise it is LBA.... and there is nothing wrong with LBA .

07-23-2015, 11:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, I envy your collection.
Its Ok I don't have the 77 so I can't comment on a comparison with that anyway. Roughly around the similar focal length I have the FA50 f1.4, DA70, Sanyang 85 f1.4 and Tamon SP 70-200 f2.8.
I love the DA70 and here is why:
* Its small and light!
* Really nice build quality and the extending hood it comes with is nice.
* f2.4 is fast enough to be useful and you can use the DA70 wide open at will because its plenty sharp.
* AF pretty quick and Quick Shift is nice too.
* Very good bokeh. Sure I can get better from my 85 f1.4 but thats so much bigger and so the DA70 is on my camera much more frequently.
* Very good sharpness thats pretty consistent across the frame
* CAs rarely an issue.

So if you like the weight, feel and size of the other compact limited, I'm pretty sure you would like this one. From what I have seen it covers the FF frame too (who knows if Pentax FF will support DA70 like that).
07-23-2015, 11:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given what you already have, you really don't need the DA70, and frankly I would move the DA40 on as well.
I have owned them both and they are certainly fine lenses, but in my hands they weren't as much of a joy to use as their FA big sisters, and the images, while technically excellent, never had quite the same magic.
07-24-2015, 12:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Given what you already have, you really don't need the DA70
It's never about need. That's crazy talk.
I have the 15mm, 35mm, 40mm and 70mm. In terms of sheer image quality the 70 is the best of them.

07-24-2015, 01:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too cannot see why you'd need (or want) the 70, already owning the 77.
It's not like the 77 is a mammoth heavyweight lens and it'll surely have better image quality than the 70.
I use the 77 when I want to travel light and inconspicously - to surplant the incomparable FA*85.

Last edited by Papa Lazarou; 07-24-2015 at 02:21 AM.
07-24-2015, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have both the 70, and 77. If you buy the 70, you'll use it a few times, say "that's quite a nice lens", and then it'll be relegated in favour of the 77.

The only reason I bought it was to complete the set of limiteds, but I'd probably have been better off going for a DA* 55 tbh

The 70 is much like the 77, but the images don't sparkle quite as much. It's very good, but the 77 is much better.
07-24-2015, 02:48 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I'd say go with your gut. Who are you to second-guess your reasons for wanting a lens? But make sure you're not just buying it because of what others say. You probably have already made the decision, one way or another. You just don't know it yet.
07-24-2015, 03:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mtngal,
The DA 70 Ltd was my first prime and I really liked it....so much that I became a great customer of PayPal Credit and added all the DA Limiteds

In time, though, I began acquiring the FA Limiteds because Pentax was releasing a full frame any month now and so I began, reluctantly, to cull the herd. The DA 21 (cuz I got an FA20), then the 40 (cuz of the FA43), and lastly the 70 (cuz I had the FA77). I still have the DA15 and 35.

I really appreciate your dilemma, though. There's something about rounding out the collection that is very satisfying. And the 70 is an excellent lens which I have thought about buying again were it not for how hard I am trying to keep an LBA relapse at bay.

Good luck with your decision.
07-24-2015, 05:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

If you have the money, just get a used one from the forums. If it doesn't thrill you, sell it along for about what you paid for it, sort of like a free rental.
07-24-2015, 05:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
I have both the 70, and 77. If you buy the 70, you'll use it a few times, say "that's quite a nice lens", and then it'll be relegated in favour of the 77.

The only reason I bought it was to complete the set of limiteds, but I'd probably have been better off going for a DA* 55 tbh

The 70 is much like the 77, but the images don't sparkle quite as much. It's very good, but the 77 is much better.
That is something like what happened with me. I wanted a waistpack set of travel primes, and the DA 21/40/70 with my old Kx is a fantastic setup for that, especially if you remove the hood from the 70. For travel photos of buildings and landscape, the DA70 sings.

However, for people, there is nothing like the FA77, especially at around f/2.5. If I carry a zoom plus one prime it is always the 77 which vies for the spot rather than the 70.
07-24-2015, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the DA 70, but I've been called a bad influence, so I'm staying out of this one...
07-24-2015, 08:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One reason I didn't buy the da 70mm is that it's too small. My fingers get in the way of the focusing ring...