Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Ultra Wide Angle Zoom for Events & s

I know this has been rebated multiple times at Pentax Forums but i can't seem to agree on which lens i should get for my work. I am a *almost* full time wedding & events photographer who does some promotional work when it arrives. I have been working with two system for awhile now and for tighter spaces Canon 17-40 f/4 was godsend, however i sold my last Canon body some time ago and now i lack the wide angle zoom desperately. Although i should get the *best* glass out here as i charge my clients for it, i have to pay my rent and bills which forced me to sell some of my gear recently.

Candidates are:

----------------
Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 - £279.00-
Pros:
Cheapest of all by far. Solid build & image quality. Very wide
Cons:
Not the sharpest lens ?, variable aperture & slow. No HSM or quickshift focus

------------------
Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 -£389.00-

Almost same with other Sigma 10-20 but faster, hsm & quickshift. Not sure if i can justify the price for same image quality

----------------
Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 -£353.56-
Pros:
FF, Top notch sharpness and image quality, little to none distortion.
Cons:
No filter thread and front element is prone to scratches, slowest of all, heavy & bulky. Not as wide as 10-20 at apsc

----------------
Pentax 12-24 F/4 -£573.00-

Pros:
Fast-ish, constant aperture, Might be the best in terms of image quality, Pentax Glass
Cons:
PRICE, PRICE, PRICE. I really like this lens but cannot justify its price compared to Sigmas.
----------

I would love some specific info for lenses as well as some recommendations. My main candidates are the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 and Sigma 12-24.

I will use this lens with either K3 or K5ii and current widest K-mount lens i have is Samyang 14mm & Pentax 16-50.

Also sorry for my English skill as well as boring/repetitive topic

07-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
I know this has been rebated multiple times at Pentax Forums but i can't seem to agree on which lens i should get for my work. I am a *almost* full time wedding & events photographer who does some promotional work when it arrives. I have been working with two system for awhile now and for tighter spaces Canon 17-40 f/4 was godsend, however i sold my last Canon body some time ago and now i lack the wide angle zoom desperately. Although i should get the *best* glass out here as i charge my clients for it, i have to pay my rent and bills which forced me to sell some of my gear recently.

Candidates are:

----------------
Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 - £279.00-
Pros:
Cheapest of all by far. Solid build & image quality. Very wide
Cons:
Not the sharpest lens ?, variable aperture & slow. No HSM or quickshift focus

------------------
Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 -£389.00-

Almost same with other Sigma 10-20 but faster, hsm & quickshift. Not sure if i can justify the price for same image quality

----------------
Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 -£353.56-
Pros:
FF, Top notch sharpness and image quality, little to none distortion.
Cons:
No filter thread and front element is prone to scratches, slowest of all, heavy & bulky. Not as wide as 10-20 at apsc

----------------
Pentax 12-24 F/4 -£573.00-

Pros:
Fast-ish, constant aperture, Might be the best in terms of image quality, Pentax Glass
Cons:
PRICE, PRICE, PRICE. I really like this lens but cannot justify its price compared to Sigmas.
----------

I would love some specific info for lenses as well as some recommendations. My main candidates are the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 and Sigma 12-24.

I will use this lens with either K3 or K5ii and current widest K-mount lens i have is Samyang 14mm & Pentax 16-50.

Also sorry for my English skill as well as boring/repetitive topic
As an event photographer, I don't think I use my 12-24 too often; IMHO, 16-50 is plenty wide and good enough for wedding photos. Wide-angle shots on people are usually not complimentary (you know what I mean, big shoulders and tiny figures in the middle), and that's what you will end up with if not careful. You can go with Sigma if you want a cheaper wide-angle lens, but I personally prefer a Pentax version just because if there are some issues, Pentax repair shop can fix/adjust either the camera or the lens or both. With Sigma, you don't know who's fault if there is any issue.
07-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #3

I use Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 often and happy with results. Here is a shot that I took during a live dance event.

07-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When you had your Canon body, was it a full frame or ASP-C sensor as the field of view will make a difference. If it was a crop sensor, then the 16-50 would be your replacement. But, since you are asking about 10-20 and 12-24, I am guessing you were shooting with a full frame.

I honestly like the Pentax 12-24. The distortion is reasonably well controlled and the colors are wonderful, but it does have CA when shooting into back lite scenes. I really don't have any of the others to compare it against. In terms of price, I have seen a number of used lenses that have been priced quite nicely here on the marketplace. That may be an option.

07-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There is also a Tamron 10-24mm lens. You might be interested in this review here: DA 12-24mm vs Sigma and Tamron 10-24mm Comparison Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Anyway, I think you should get a used Sigma and slowly save up for the Pentax. Or one of those Samyang UWA primes (10, 14, 16). Top notch image quality, but no zoom, no AF.
07-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
u had your Canon body, was it a full frame or ASP-C sensor as the field of view will make a difference. If it was a crop sensor, then the 16-50 would be your replacement. But, since you are asking about 10-20 and 12-24, I am g
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
As an event photographer, I don't think I use my 12-24 too often; IMHO, 16-50 is plenty wide and good enough for wedding photos. Wide-angle shots on people are usually not complimentary (you know what I mean, big shoulders and tiny figures in the middle), and that's what you will end up with if not careful. You can go with Sigma if you want a cheaper wide-angle lens, but I personally prefer a Pentax version just because if there are some issues, Pentax repair shop can fix/adjust either the camera or the lens or both. With Sigma, you don't know who's fault if there is any issue.
I like UWA lenses for big groups and tight situations. Ofcourse the distortion is quite disturbing and i won't be using the wide angle all the time but its like a macro lens, you never know when you will need that special artistic effect.

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
When you had your Canon body, was it a full frame or ASP-C sensor as the field of view will make a difference. If it was a crop sensor, then the 16-50 would be your replacement. But, since you are asking about 10-20 and 12-24, I am guessing you were shooting with a full frame.

I honestly like the Pentax 12-24. The distortion is reasonably well controlled and the colors are wonderful, but it does have CA when shooting into back lite scenes. I really don't have any of the others to compare it against. In terms of price, I have seen a number of used lenses that have been priced quite nicely here on the marketplace. That may be an option.
It was a 5d Mk II, such a good beast.
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
There is also a Tamron 10-24mm lens. You might be interested in this review here: DA 12-24mm vs Sigma and Tamron 10-24mm Comparison Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Anyway, I think you should get a used Sigma and slowly save up for the Pentax. Or one of those Samyang UWA primes (10, 14, 16). Top notch image quality, but no zoom, no AF.

Pentax 12-24 and Tamron 10-24 are the only ones i have used in this list. It is the reason i have so much appreciation for pentax and not even mentioned Tamron. I do have other Tammy lenses but this one was quite below my standards. Also i do have a Samyang 14mm but zoom + af is a must for me.

---------------------------

I also find Sigma 12-24 to be the sharpest of all also least distortion but color rendition doesn't looks at pentax level. Pentax being the most expensive on that list really puts me off :/
07-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the 10-22mm f4.5 Canon lens and although it was a very good lens, it sat in my bag for extended periods of time. I winded up selling it and getting the 16-35mm. The reason why is that if I set the focal length of that lens to anything less than 15mm, I would suffer from severe distortion to the point where the images became unusable .

Last edited by hjoseph7; 07-24-2015 at 10:55 AM.
07-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm following this thread with interest because of a recent holiday experience in which I found myself in the narrow corridors of a tall ship. Admittedly I chose my lens for the day badly (50mm DA 1.8), but my wide-angle option (18-250 DA zoom) is rather bulky and the 12-24mm is no better - if anything, it's even larger and heavier. Anything significantly shorter and lighter would be good.
07-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

Extreme wide !