Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Pentaxian

I've never used filters on my lenses, what are some good ones to get?

I've been looking around for some 27mm filters for my xs, specifically ND for some neat time lapse shots. But it also brought up stuff like polarizing filters. Are these also worth getting to step up my photography game?

Also I was wondering if I have to be careful with optical quality of the ND/polarizing filters to avoid loss of sharpness? It's pretty difficult to find 27mm threaded ones as it is.

Edit: I think I durped and put this in the wrong forum.

07-25-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're getting them for the XS, you're very, very limited in what's available. For decent quality, it's pretty much Heliopan for anything besides a UV filter, which means good quality but very high price -- maybe $90. There are a few lower-end brands (check amazon) that sell 27mm filters that probably don't compare, but are far, far less expensive and might be worth getting to play around with.
07-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Answers to your two questions are; yes and yes.
You can do many things on post processing, but you can not emulate - at least easily - a polarizing filter. And it is very useful to remove unwanted reflections and haze. Or to improve colors when light is harsh.
Any piece of glass you add to the light path will have an effect in the quality of the final photo, so you should look for the best for what you're willing to pay.
07-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would use a step up ring to some filter size that is more common like a 49mm so you can also use it for other lenses. Also, I don't use any filters except ND filters. If I was going to buy one, it would have to be useful for not just one lens (like the 40XS) but for many other lenses I own, just MHO.

07-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I would use a step up ring to some filter size that is more common like a 49mm so you can also use it for other lenses. Also, I don't use any filters except ND filters. If I was going to buy one, it would have to be useful for not just one lens (like the 40XS) but for many other lenses I own, just MHO.
Would stepping up that much work OK with a polarizing filter? I'd be worried about damaging the lens if i set the camera down wrong.

I have the XS, but the only filter on it is a B+W UV filter that was on it when I purchased it. I've never actually put anything else on it. I almost never even use it, except as a conversation piece, or when I'm carrying just it and the 15mm in a pocket.
07-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another quick question. What typical ND filter strength would you need for some decent long exposure work? Smooth water, star trails, that whole thing.
07-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree with aleonx3's advice. For quality filters, I prefer B+W...not cheap, but worth it especially if it's a size also compatible with a number of your other lenses.

07-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Another quick question. What typical ND filter strength would you need for some decent long exposure work? Smooth water, star trails, that whole thing.

Kinda depends how much light you have, how long your shot is, and what aperture.

A kit with a 1,2, and 3 stop filter is pretty common.

10 stop filters are really handy.

Variable filters can do the whole range but may have some artifacts at the darker end.
07-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Don't know about star trails, never done that.. why ND filter?
For smooth water, if you have a tripod, you can still do that with multiple exposure (keeping exposure constant) say 5 times, you will get the same effect.

For me, I have some ND filters but I don't think I use them very often.. just saying.

By the way, instead of getting filters, I recommend getting a lens hood instead. I use it all the time.

---------- Post added 07-25-2015 at 07:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Would stepping up that much work OK with a polarizing filter? I'd be worried about damaging the lens if i set the camera down wrong.
I agree that it is worrisome to screw on a clumsy attachment to the lens that may break if you are not careful.

Last edited by aleonx3; 07-25-2015 at 04:27 PM.
07-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

They're very handy for taking wide open shots in bright light, especially if you're using fill flash and are stuck at 1/180 shutter speed.

I'd say get a cheap variable one to play with. It's the most flexible option. If you like it but find the quality of your shots are suffering measurably, you can always expand from there.

For me, a variable for my 4 primary filter sizes and a 10 stop in 49mm for my 15mm ltd suffice.
07-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Don't know about star trails, never done that.. why ND filter?
I was thinking for the objects in the picture to go along with the star trails, like houses.