Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobble Quote
Just starting photography again myself - from film days I relied on three prime lenses most of the time 35MM ,50MM, and 135 MM . I plan to do something similar this time round unless anyone can advise?
Probably better to start your own thread but in the meantime...

This is a fine kit IF you don't care that you will have lost wide angle and traded it for more telephoto reach. The 35 will perform close to what the 50 did on film and the 50 will be more like a 75 and the 135 more like a 200. These are approximations based on the field of view change from 35mm to APSC formats. In order to get the same wide angle perspective as the 35mm gave you on 35mm film cameras you will need at least a 24mm or wider lens. If film era 200mm perspective is not what you want then you will also want to get a shorter lens perhaps in the 100mm range (giving effectively the same perspective as a 150mm).

However with a little footwork I think the lenses you have will work - just add a 20-25mm to give you the wider end back. Be aware that manual focusing on modern DSLR's can be a challenge. Many people swear by this approach and have great skill and produce fantastic images - but read up on the merits of a focusing screen change if you go this route or make sure the camera you use supports liveview and focus peaking at a minimum.

Footnote: The change in perspective of the lenses field of view DOES NOT change the focal length. A 50mm used on APSC is still a 50mm. The shorthand of thinking of it as a 75mm only is a fiction to help transition knowledge you have about what a given focal length looks like on film to APSC. It helps you conceptualize the view of the lens. Over time you will start to internalize the new view and you will not be thinking I need to grab a 35... 'er 21. You will start thinking of the lenses how they appear on the format you are shooting. The more complex issue is when you go back and forth between the two formats - then you have to remember to think of these focal lengths as they are on each platform or pick a frame of reference to work from.

08-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #17

Original Poster
So, I think I've talked myself out of ff any time soon because I just like the more compact kit. So with that being said, has anyone had experience with the Cosina 58mm f1.4? I know it's only available used, but if it's an option, I might do something like this.

15/21/58/100

The reason being that I would really like to get an excellent, excellent portrait lens in the mix.

My other question that only I can answer is do I love quick shift enough to keep me away from limiteds? I am thinking that either way I go I'll get a micro prism screen for my k7 and that might open up more possibilities for gear.

Every time I look at the fa limiteds, I want them but then look at the price and they just seem like misfit focal lengths on aps-c. But maybe I just need to take the plunge.
08-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a ton of good options for filling that gap. One of my favorites is the SMC DA 40 Limited (the 40XS is a less expensive option similar to this). I use it for short distance intimate portraits:

(Previously posted elsewhere)

Other options include various 50mm's including F/FA 50 f/1.7 or f/1.4, DA 50 f/1.8, etc.