Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2015, 09:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi PaPa, I don't think that driline meant it in a condescending way. Jatrax explained it best.

The 18-250 is a do-everything, jack of all trade lens but one thing it is not is a high-quality grade lens. Converters tend to slow down, and somehow degrade image quality of lenses mounted to it. An 18-250 is already slow as it is, and mounting it into a converter further slows it down. It will also handle image degradation worse than a faster, better glass. So driline is actually spot-on, but the way the message came across was maybe, just a wee bit over the top, but I'm sure that he meant well.

Enjoy your stay, ask some more questions, most of us are non-professionals, and many of us were once (or is still) confused by the technicalities in photography! Welcome!

08-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Hi PaPa, I don't think that driline meant it in a condescending way. Jatrax explained it best.

The 18-250 is a do-everything, jack of all trade lens but one thing it is not is a high-quality grade lens. Converters tend to slow down, and somehow degrade image quality of lenses mounted to it. An 18-250 is already slow as it is, and mounting it into a converter further slows it down. It will also handle image degradation worse than a faster, better glass. So driline is actually spot-on, but the way the message came across was maybe, just a wee bit over the top, but I'm sure that he meant well.

Enjoy your stay, ask some more questions, most of us are non-professionals, and many of us were once (or is still) confused by the technicalities in photography! Welcome!
Thank-you for your kind welcome Drypenn,
My youngest daughter called me a grumpy old man today and there maybe some truth to what she said. I also noticed Driline has some loyal forum supporters, which says a lot for him. Some of the nicest people can make a bad first impression and I consider myself to be a nice grumpy old man. The Yugo Incident is in the past and should stay there.

I agree with your comments regarding the 18-250 as being a jack of all trades lens. It's great for quick candid shots near or far, of family, street or events. It's my favorite and most used lens.

Can you tell me more about the Monthly Photo Contest?

Tx's again.
08-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PaPa Quote
Some of the nicest people can make a bad first impression and I consider myself to be a nice grumpy old man. The Yugo Incident is in the past and should stay there.
We all get grumpy from time to time. And on many internet forums a comment like was made might be intended in a negative way. On this forum, possibly the politest I frequent, it is very rare to see comments intended as negative. We do joke about quite a bit and unless you have been around long enough to get to know the characters those jokes can sometimes seem off. This is also a truly international forum so English is not everyone's first language which sometimes makes slang hard to understand or comments come out different than they might from a native speaker.

Anyway, welcome and stick around.

If you have not found it yet here is one of the nicest things about this site, the lens database: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
And here is a link to the Photo Contest: Monthly Photo Contests - PentaxForums.com