Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2015, 06:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
that sucks. Especially if it's your first time. Reasons:

1-you won't enjoy the wedding but will be stressed the whole time
2-you have no experience so you won't perform as well as you would wish
3-SHE might not realize it but she will expect pro-grade results and will likely be disappointed by your good, but not pro-grade, effort.

I heartily recommend setting her expectations LOW. I mean LOW. That's the only way to avoid disappointing her. And even then, mention that it might be better to hire someone with more experience, and that you'd be happy to act as a second shooter.

that's the only "indoors" lens you own. However, its AF makes a horrendous amount of noise. It's the loudest lens I've ever used. So during a small ceremony, everyone will hear the zingzingzing of the AF motor.

Try to visit the venue beforehand. If the ceiling is low enough, and white, you could bounce a flash (the Metz 52 is indeed a great recommendation) and use your 18-135. Otherwise, if there's a white wall decently oriented, you can use that too. Or someone's white shirt, or any largish white surface that you find. If there is no white surface anywhere that will let you control your light, at the very least get a sto-fen like diffuser (these are cheap off ebay.

By all means try to practice beforehand. With your sister if possible. Maybe make a rehearsal or something. But don't set the expectations high.
These are all great points. I'll add one more... not all wedding shots are posed. Capturing the bride/sister walking down the aisle is a much different shot than any of the posed shots. Make sure you've mastered C-AF well enough that you can get multiple in-focus shots coming down the aisle. By their very nature, some will look good and some won't even if every one is in focus.

But more generally to the OP -- realize ahead of time that in some respects your sister is asking to rob you of the true enjoyment of experiencing her marriage. Sure, you can capture some great photos to remember this by but you can never get the day back. Make sure you're accepting of this.

07-30-2015, 06:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I have shot 3 weddings in the past year and a half for family and one for a close friend. I used a Sigma 17-70C which has performed well although the 17-50 is a fine lens also. I use a Metz 48 (previous model before the Metz 52) flash with a Lumiquest softbox. While I bring extra lenses "just in case", the Sigma has remained on the camera for all 3 weddings.There's plenty of good advice above, especially making the point that you aren't a professional wedding photographer. Your gear is very capable, even if you had to use the cheap kit lens. Shoot in Raw and take lots of shots. There's always someone with their eyes closed, mouth open or some other goofy expression. I tend to use the shorter end of the zoom and will crop in PP for the reception shots. The important thing is to get sharp photos and not be severely over or under exposed that you can't adjust the shots in PP. Check your shots on the LCD often and also the histogram.
07-30-2015, 07:07 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
The general public thinks that taking great pics is easy...which it's not. They also don't recognize that shooting landscapes is very different than shooting good wedding pics. I always say that it's like being a writer. Someone might say, "Oh...you write great short stories...so can you write me a poem?" True, it's all writing, but the skill-set is very different.
People also fall into the trap of thinking that it's all about the gear. 'Oh, he/she can shoot great pics at my wedding because he/she has a good camera,' is what they're thinking, consciously or not. While it's true that good gear makes better pictures more possible, it in no way guarantees the quality of the pics. (Although I admit that certain lenses have made me look very good at times )
07-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikshyle Quote
Wedding photo shoot Hi, My sister is having a small semi formal wedding. She asked if I would take pictures for her. I am a little nervous about indoor shooting if the lighting is low. I have a K-50 with a DA 18-135, DA 55-300 and a DA 50 mm 1.8 Any shooting settings suggestions or any tips at all would be greatly appreciated Thanks Kim
Show us some of your photos please ^^

07-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

You can also borrow a library book or print some pages off of the web showing different poses that she can pick out. Then get a volunteer model to practice with you if she isn't available

No pressure LOL!
You will do fine with a little research and practice

Randy
07-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

that sucks. Especially if it's your first time. Reasons:

1-you won't enjoy the wedding but will be stressed the whole time
2-you have no experience so you won't perform as well as you would wish
3-SHE might not realize it but she will expect pro-grade results and will likely be disappointed by your good, but not pro-grade, effort.

I heartily recommend setting her expectations LOW. I mean LOW. That's the only way to avoid disappointing her. And even then, mention that it might be better to hire someone with more experience, and that you'd be happy to act as a second shooter.

+1 ! This is very important !
07-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #22
Veteran Member

If you persist to make wedding shoot just understand that in term of gear a pro would have:

- 2 FF camera with a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/2.8... Lot of margin for low light.
- At least a cobra flash with a big diffuser
- Potentially an assistant to help them with multiflash setup and reflectors.

I think for getting a minimum chance of success on APSC, you'd need a f/2.8 zoom that go up to 70mm like a 24-70 f/2.8... You'd couple that with a flash that you learn to use with a diffuser like a lumiquest soft box, better if deported. You'll also want to ensure your recognize the venue etc and see how to make the best shoots.

That being said, I managed to get some decent shoots at a wedding with primes only (DA21, DA35 f/2.8, FA77, F135) a metz 44 with a cable to handle the flash in on hand and the camera in another hand and finally a diffuser. But REALLY the wide apperture of the FA77 was of critical use for indoor shoots:

FA77, f/1.8, no flash... And honestly the place (mayor house) had great lighting from big windows.

I'd be really affraid of the 18-135 because for me, while okish the apperture will really not help for both bokeh and low light... You' have to really rely on mastering the flash to craft your pictures...

07-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all so much, thats alot of info to take in but greatly appreciated. I def plan on visiting location to get an idea of what I am dealing with and take some practice. shots. As far as not enjoying the day. This is a second marriage and she doesn't expect me to be taking pics the whole time. More for the important moments. I will probably shoot more than she expects, but that will be me wanting to more then her requesting it. And I will be a lot more critical of my work than she will Any suggestions on where to rent equipment ?
07-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One option: LensRentals.com - Rent Pentax > Lenses
07-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Thank you all so much, thats alot of info to take in but greatly appreciated. I def plan on visiting location to get an idea of what I am dealing with and take some practice. shots. As far as not enjoying the day. This is a second marriage and she doesn't expect me to be taking pics the whole time. More for the important moments. I will probably shoot more than she expects, but that will be me wanting to more then her requesting it. And I will be a lot more critical of my work than she will Any suggestions on where to rent equipment ?
Thanks... that extra info makes this a much more feasible and realistic task for you. Enjoy the experience, both shooting and celebrating!
07-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I was a little hesitant to respond when I saw the equipment in your original post. I would say it is going to be a bit more challenging to get the shots especially in non-ideal lighting conditions. Wedding photography is more than just camera and techniques, it requires careful planning, coaching, preparation and also, more importantly, post processing. Many of the suggestions by varies posters are very good points; I would just add "go with your strength and avoid (if you can) your weakness".

I am not sure if I agree with the statement that "you may not enjoy the day".... On the contrary, I think you will enjoy much more as you will be involved so much that you will be exhausted once it's finished.
07-31-2015, 10:36 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
How would this lense be to rent ? Pentax SMC DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL

And this flash, Pentax AF-540FGZ or Pentax AF540FGZ II
07-31-2015, 11:30 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great lens and great flash. The plus on the flash is that many bodies can control it wirelessly from the onboard flash and allow an off camera setup with little effort. The lens is large and heavy but the speed (f/2.8) and the quiet focus (SDM) and the IQ are really nice. The 16mm wide end is a great option that will help for some shots. The only downside is that it doesn't have the 70mm you might need/want for close tight headshots but you can either swap lenses when that comes up or use another body or crop if all else fails. There isn't a better choice honestly if you want the Pentax name on it. A lot of pro wedding guys use a 16-50 on one body and a 50-135 on the other. Some use Sigma 17-70 or other combos. But the single lens 16-50 is a good option over many of the others.

Or skip the rental and buy something like this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/300773-sal...0-f-2-8-a.html

I do not have any experience with this lens so I can't say if the IQ is as good as the 16-50 but many people love it. It's pretty inexpensively built but supposedly good IQ.

Or this (Longer range but slower on the long end):
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/300215-sal...1-reduced.html

Last edited by UncleVanya; 07-31-2015 at 11:36 AM.
07-31-2015, 12:01 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If you persist to make wedding shoot just understand that in term of gear a pro would have:

- 2 FF camera
You do not need a full frame to shoot a wedding.

Excellent tools for a wedding. the flash is powerful and reliable. The lens is optically excellent, has silent AF and is very fast.

Depending on the venue, maybe a wide lens isn't the best choice. If that's the case, the 50-135 is often regarded as the best wedding lens. Its AF isn't very fast but it's a great range for many venues and it performs admirably.

Decide based on your style, and the room you have to shoot. Also, check beforehand if flash is allowed where the wedding will take place.
07-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #30
Veteran Member

You do not need a full frame to shoot a wedding.
Sure you don't need it... but particulary for weddings, it will help.