Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2015, 01:01 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikshyle Quote
How would this lense be to rent ? Pentax SMC DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL

And this flash, Pentax AF-540FGZ or Pentax AF540FGZ II
If you want only one innexpensive lense for weddings and that would serve well for events/low light in general, try the tamron 28-75 f/2.8.

70-75mm is really key to be able to take shoot from a distance while 16mm is not that interresting for a wedding and if you need to pull the classical exterior group shoot your 18-35 at 20-24mm would do just fine and the apperture difference is not the same on wide angle. Sure 2 bodies with 16-50 + 50-135 is better but that more expensive too.

For a flash, you can go for a Metz like 44 AF1 and add a soft box + TTL cable and get something quite easy to control and not too expensive neither.

There are change you can get everything for not much more than renting the gear counting that you need a few days to train before anyway!

07-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If you want only one innexpensive lense for weddings and that would serve well for events/low light in general, try the tamron 28-75 f/2.8.

70-75mm is really key to be able to take shoot from a distance while 16mm is not that interresting for a wedding and if you need to pull the classical exterior group shoot your 18-35 at 20-24mm would do just fine and the apperture difference is not the same on wide angle. Sure 2 bodies with 16-50 + 50-135 is better but that more expensive too.

For a flash, you can go for a Metz like 44 AF1 and add a soft box + TTL cable and get something quite easy to control and not too expensive neither.

There are change you can get everything for not much more than renting the gear counting that you need a few days to train before anyway!
The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is a great lens, but its definitely not wide enough for a wedding. I know; I've shot a few with just that lens. Its frustrating to not have enough room to step back in the crowded reception hall.
07-31-2015, 02:08 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How would this lense be to rent ? Pentax SMC DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL

And this flash, Pentax AF-540FGZ or Pentax AF540FGZ II
Great setup.
07-31-2015, 05:20 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Hi, My sister is having a small semi formal wedding. She asked if I would take pictures for her. I am a little nervous about indoor shooting if the lighting is low. I have a K-50 with a DA 18-135, DA 55-300 and a DA 50 mm 1.8 Any shooting settings suggestions or any tips at all would be greatly appreciated
I've for the past 2 years been shooting weddings using K-30, which is pretty much the same as K-50.

If you were only to use the gear you have:

55-300mm for primarily outdoor scenarios such as for the formals and outside the church.

18-135 can be used both out and indoor, but as the light level gets dimmer, you'll want to use it at wider and wider focals - at some point you'll want to use it at 18mm only or close to it, to benefit from the larger aperture. You can get away with slow shutter speeds at wide angles, but try to keep the ISO low. ISO 3200 is standard for me and I'm not super heavy with noise reduction.

50mm is the lens you will likely use the most - only problem is that it's not wide enough when you need to cover more. Also, I find that it's a bit so-so with focusing accuracy as well as speed, so shoot a lot. This is mostly (but not exclusively) true when shooting under low light.

Pop up the flash when the dancing begins and try to balance with ambient light, with lot's of emphasis towards the ambient light. You could even try and drag the shutter, and the "straight on face" flash look wont look as horribly.

In general: Use higher ISO and over expose if you can. It often turns out better this way. But whatever you do, experiment (with people!) before the big day.

If you can get some extra stuff:
Get a powerful flash with a tilt- and rotate-able head. You're in luck if the ceiling isn't too high (and it looks better) but if it is, you'll need lots of power (and it looks dull). Again, try to mix with ambient light - light will change and the sun goes down and you might find that you have trouble finding the right settings. It will pass after an hour or so - but it really also depends on how the venue is.

Make sure you have enough batteries for both the camera and the flash as well as enough SD cards.

I shoot lots and lots of weddings, where the first time the flash is used, is close to midnight, or: when the dancing begins.

And finally: Shoot RAW!

Edit: a 16-50 f2.8 and flash is a bug thumbs up from here.

07-31-2015, 06:29 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks again for all the insightful info.... I am going to rent the above mentioned lens and flash. I feel like I got plenty of great advice and hopefully I will have some great pics to post afterwards. Wish me luck !!!
Kim
07-31-2015, 11:39 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is a great lens, but its definitely not wide enough for a wedding. I know; I've shot a few with just that lens. Its frustrating to not have enough room to step back in the crowded reception hall.
To me 16-50 is not long enough... but he already has a 18-135 that open at f/3.5 at 18mm... And 18mm is sure wide enough. Except for the classical group shoot with everybody in front of the church where I used the DA21, I used mostly DA35 ltd, FA77 and F135.

I agree as a compromize the 24-70 from sigma would be better... But it is more expensive.
07-31-2015, 11:45 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
16-50 is a great lens really works for portraits and group shots. Inside and out. And you have that nifty fifty for faster stuf and details.

08-01-2015, 12:19 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
16-50 is a great lens really works for portraits and group shots. Inside and out. And you have that nifty fifty for faster stuf and details.
Really for outdoor portraiture... That's more 50-135. 50mm is really too short... And the 16-50 is quite expensive too. At least a sigma/tamron 17-50 would avoid to break the bank.
08-01-2015, 12:21 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Good luck!

Will just add one thing..... look all around the web and take notes of the must get shots.....and think through how you might do them. Cheers.

(2 friends weddings in the last 12 months)

One other thought...... maybe take them somewhere (on another day even).... and take some shots

Last edited by noelpolar; 08-01-2015 at 12:28 AM.
08-01-2015, 04:13 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Really for outdoor portraiture... That's more 50-135. 50mm is really too short... And the 16-50 is quite expensive too. At least a sigma/tamron 17-50 would avoid to break the bank.
It really depends what kind of portraits one wishes to take. but if one is going to rent 16-50 and a flash. It seems to me a good choise. And OP already has 50 mm lens. So. I have taken nice portraits with 55/1.4
08-01-2015, 05:09 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It really depends what kind of portraits one wishes to take. but if one is going to rent 16-50 and a flash. It seems to me a good choise. And OP already has 50 mm lens. So. I have taken nice portraits with 55/1.4
+1, 16-50 is good enough for most shots since the OP only has one camera. Another point about the flash, if possible, get the II version (I think 360 is good enough), the front LED is extremely useful in getting those well balanced shots.
08-01-2015, 06:24 AM - 2 Likes   #42

Photos: Albums
Wear sneakers. You're welcome.
08-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #43
Veteran Member

One of the main challenges of people photography is being able to make people look natural. Posing people properly takes years of practice, to overcome this you need to try and take your subjects focus away from being photographed. If people spend more than 3 seconds looking at a camera then their brain will realise and they will stop being relaxed. The best way to distract people is to get them talking about themselves. Ask them questions so they start interacting with each other. At the end of the day most people prefer the photos that capture the emotion of interacting with their loved ones over the glamour portraits that have little connection to who they really are, and often consume way too much valuable time. Of course managing clients expectations is the key to ensuring a client is happy with the result.
08-02-2015, 11:39 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
+1, 16-50 is good enough for most shots since the OP only has one camera. Another point about the flash, if possible, get the II version (I think 360 is good enough), the front LED is extremely useful in getting those well balanced shots.
Yeh but you require much more for a wedding 70mm+ than 16mm... And the 18-135 he has can handle a few WA shoots just fine... The apperture isn't for WA and the actual apperture isn't much different neither (f/2.8 vs f/3.5)

And to me the point if you count the time to train a bit, you can simply buy the cheap lense (like 28-75 or if you really have to a 17-50) rather than rent the expensive one. The money difference may not be that much. and the picture will be better in the end because you really can train.

I'd agree ultimately for only 1 lense I'd go for a 24-70 because you don't want to go wider than 24mm with people in the scene and you still have 70mm for some reach but this is already more expensive.
08-05-2015, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #45
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok good news !! Although I am still going to check out the venue. My sister showed my pictures on line.
1- The ceremony will be outdoors and if it rains there is a beautiful canopy covering.
2- There are big long windows inside.
3- And most importantly..... I was just so nervous about the lighting I totally forgot to keep in mind that it is a DAYTIME wedding !!! Starts at noon..
4- Pray for a beautiful day for me please