Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SDM Failure 16-50.

Do we have a list of serial numbers for the DA* 16-50 that had the SDM failure? My wife's lens has stopped focusing. It is a newer lens than mine and mine is fine. Thanks for any help.

08-01-2015, 03:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Closest I could find, goes for year:
Pentax SDM Failure Survey Results - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

There's been also been a thread about a "resuscitation" method, can't remember exactly, but involved moving the thing by hand while cycling the af selector, and there was speculation about the fact that failures could be related more to something like grease solidifying rather than the motor itself breaking apart.

Edit: aaaah, there it is! worth a try, at least...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/300459-foun...-failures.html
08-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Closest I could find, goes for year:
Pentax SDM Failure Survey Results - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

There's been also been a thread about a "resuscitation" method, can't remember exactly, but involved moving the thing by hand while cycling the af selector, and there was speculation about the fact that failures could be related more to something like grease solidifying rather than the motor itself breaking apart.

Edit: aaaah, there it is! worth a try, at least...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/300459-foun...-failures.html
I used that method for a long time, until it didn't work any more, so then I had to start taking the lens apart to unstick it. The description of motor "burnout" (I've never seen it described as "breaking apart") I believe is misleading, as it's a piezo-electric drive. Eventually, I gave up and converted it to screw drive, and even though it's noisier in that mode, it isn't terrible and it's reliable, at least.
08-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Do we have a list of serial numbers for the DA* 16-50 that had the SDM failure? My wife's lens has stopped focusing. It is a newer lens than mine and mine is fine. Thanks for any help.
Serial number lists only go so far. The newer ones should be more reliable but that does not mean they are 100%. And I believe it was in 2012 that the statement was made that new ones would not have the issue. So even if newer it has to be made 2012 or later.

I had mine repaired once, the second time I just converted it to screw drive and never looked back. I don't find the noise any different than the squeaks the SDM was giving out and it is now rock solid reliable. And though subjective, I think it focuses faster now.

08-01-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It's this sort of thing that hardens my hostility to anything except screw drive or MF. The easiest way to convert to screw drive is of course to fit the lens to an *istD series body.
08-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

SDM failure has really given Pentax some bad rep in the silent AF department.

Fortunately the newer DC motors are much more reliable.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it's worth, compared to other screw drive lenses a converted DA*16-50 is very quiet. I suspect the polycarbonate and the mass of glass helps to dampen the noise.

08-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought both the DA* 50-135/2.8 and the DA* 16-50/2.8 in 2007 when I first got my K10D. Wouldn't you know it was the 50-135 that lost its SDM? The one where I actually used AF? If the 16-50 SDM goes, it won't matter at all. In that focal range, MF is better in my eyes than AF.
08-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
aaaah, there it is! worth a try, at least...
Gave it a try and it working again. I think the lens is just over 2 years old so I might be out of luck with warranty, but will give it a try through the local agent. Might get lucky.

Thanks heaps for the feed back.
08-02-2015, 12:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Gave it a try and it working again. I think the lens is just over 2 years old so I might be out of luck with warranty, but will give it a try through the local agent. Might get lucky.

Thanks heaps for the feed back.
Whatever works...
My pleasure