Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #1

old lenses and chromatic aberations

Hi,

I have not really had many problems with fringing, and so haven't used to corrections in lightrooms.

However, I have recently started using some old manual lenses, and have much more significant fringing now,so I looked up how to fix it.

The first video I watched basically said to go to the lens profile, choose the lens - problem fixed. But it doesn't have old lenses.

Other videos I watched seemed to have different versions of lightroom (I have 3.6).

So then I tried Scott Kelby's book for lightroom 3, basically suggesting you choose manual (in the lens correction), and slide the sliders. But this doesn't seem to be having any effect. So 2 questions:

1) Any ideas how I can do this more effectively. (Am I doing something wrong? I don't see anything happening as I move the sliders).

2) Would this be any easier with a newer version of lightroom?

Thanks

---------- Post added 3rd Aug 2015 at 01:23 AM ----------

this video uses an "eye dropper" -
(about 2.20)

I assume this just isn't available in 3.6. Do I need to update my lightroom?

08-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you may need to upgrade...I have 5.7 and use manual lenses and it involves a lot of manul tweaking. in 5.6 you can hold the alt key on a mac and it shows the fringing a bit better. I have never use the eyedropper. also make sure you view 1:1 ratio while fixing.
08-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
Hi,

I have not really had many problems with fringing, and so haven't used to corrections in lightrooms.

However, I have recently started using some old manual lenses, and have much more significant fringing now,so I looked up how to fix it.

The first video I watched basically said to go to the lens profile, choose the lens - problem fixed. But it doesn't have old lenses.

Other videos I watched seemed to have different versions of lightroom (I have 3.6).

So then I tried Scott Kelby's book for lightroom 3, basically suggesting you choose manual (in the lens correction), and slide the sliders. But this doesn't seem to be having any effect. So 2 questions:

1) Any ideas how I can do this more effectively. (Am I doing something wrong? I don't see anything happening as I move the sliders).

2) Would this be any easier with a newer version of lightroom?

Thanks

---------- Post added 3rd Aug 2015 at 01:23 AM ----------

this video uses an "eye dropper" - How to Remove Chromatic Aberration in Adobe Lightroom - 040 - YouTube (about 2.20)

I assume this just isn't available in 3.6. Do I need to update my lightroom?
Unfortunately that is one of the problems with older lenses. Most of the old lenses I have, exhibit a significant amount of CA. Some like the Pentax 70-210 has CA at almost all apertures. I have the three amigos and I guess they are considered old too, because all three have quite a bit of CA wide open until you stop down to F4 or so.

I have mostly used Photoshop (manually) to eliminate the CA. When you move the CA slider in PS you can see the problem disappear. The correction is dramatic and visible. I have used Lightroom for the same problem as well. My PS and LR are the latest version. I am not sure how far back (in versions) the softwares fix the problem.
08-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

+1 for a Lightroom upgrade.

This is another video showing how new LR give you a great deal of precise control over fringing removal.

08-04-2015, 02:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
+1 for a Lightroom upgrade.

This is another video showing how new LR give you a great deal of precise control over fringing removal.

Correct Chromatic Aberration (Purple Fringing) in Adobe Lightroom - YouTube
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll have to upgrade.
08-04-2015, 04:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may be worth posting a couple of shots . There are several different types of CA and the approach to each is differen.
08-04-2015, 05:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Also some RAW processors are better than others with CA.

Lightroom v5 and v6 are good at taming CA. But I was just running some FA 77 test shots through DxO Optics Pro 10, for example, and even using the DxO K-3/FA 77 lens correction module, it made the CA look worse by default, and even after tweaking the settings it was clear that DxO has a far more limited capacity to contain both green and purple fringing than Lightroom.

08-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
Unfortunately, upgrading to lightroom 6 wasn't as easy as I had hoped. Turns out that my computer was not capable of running lightroom 6.

However, I had been thinking it might be about time to upgrade my computer anyway. (I think mine was about 8 years old.) So I now have a new computer, and lightroom 6. And the ability to fix fringing is now so much better.
08-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Recent LR versions are somewhat improved. The best CA correction is done image-by-image - and Capture One v8 is particularly good at this, far better than any of the Adobe approaches or the various plug-ins. If you have several lenses with CA issues (not necessarily an old vs. new issue, frankly) - a trial of Capture One might be worth your while.