Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

Petri 200mm f/4 M42 Mount Lens

Hey everyone, I'm trying to find some info on this lens that I just bought. Really, the only reason I got it was because I had never seen anything like it. I got it from a local camera store called Westborn Camera, which is in Dearborn, MI. It's obviously manual focus since it's an M42 mount. But the weird thing is that it has two aperture rings. One to set the aperture, and then a second one to stop the lens down when after you're done focusing and composing the shot. Everything works as it should and actually takes really good pics, as long as you're not shooting into the sun. I believe it to be uncoated, or maybe one coating. It has 8 aperture blades. It has a built in lens hood, but it's obviously too short to APS-C. Serial number 11381, made it Japan. Petri Camera Co., Inc.

Some pictures.

---------- Post added 08-06-15 at 11:21 AM ----------

And the bread and butter. These were taken on my K50 in Av mode. Each picture is one stop slower, starting from f/4 moving on to f/22. I did not do any editing, these are RAW from the camera, converted to JPEG in LR. Only changing rotation to make them all level. Sorry, I was not on a tripod, so there will be some minor differences.

08-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like a keeper .. .Great lens it seems, sharp right from wide open !
08-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 89Y49Si Quote
But the weird thing is that it has two aperture rings. One to set the aperture, and then a second one to stop the lens down when after you're done focusing and composing the shot.
'Preset' lenses like this were fairly common at one time. The early Takumars had this system, I have a couple in my collection. It can be a very handy system, especially if you are trying to shoot stopped down. Makes focusing a lot easier.
08-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Looks like a keeper .. .Great lens it seems, sharp right from wide open !
It's definitely a keeper. Just have to pay attention to the sun.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
'Preset' lenses like this were fairly common at one time. The early Takumars had this system, I have a couple in my collection. It can be a very handy system, especially if you are trying to shoot stopped down. Makes focusing a lot easier.
Ah, so that's what a preset lens is. It is very handy.

08-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The same effect can be had in M42 lenses with a manual/auto switch. Sliding from auto to manual will cause the stop-down to the preselected aperture.

Your lens appears to be underexposing a bit at the wider apertures. This is no surprise - practically all of my Takumars do the same, and IIRC it's a well described phenomenon. Apart from that, though, you have a lovely little performer there. Nice find.
08-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More info here

How to use t-mount, preset lenses.
08-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My Helios is preset like that. I just leave the aperture select set as small as it will go, and use the other one partially to pick my aperture on the fly, shooting in Av mode. Works fine, but I never know my aperture!

08-10-2015, 04:04 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Some good info in that link.

But, does anyone have any info on the lens itself, or even Petri Camera? I have never heard of them.
08-10-2015, 06:57 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
The Petri camera company originally made some very nice cameras but like a lot of other companies they couldn't compete and went bankrupt. The Petri name was sold and appeared on quite a few cameras and lenses that were all made by other companies. Some of the early lenses were probably made by Petri and were very good but the later ones are a mixed bag from a variety of manufacturers, most of them are just average lenses but sometimes you can find one, as you have, that produces decent results.

More info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petri_Camera
08-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
So then that gives me somewhat of a timeline for when this lens was produced. Somewhere between '62 and '77. Not bad, not bad. I really need to put it through the paces to see what kind of shots I can get.
08-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

More on Petri: Petri - Camerapedia