Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
That came from the USA office, right? I can recognize the noncommittal writing style
***** We're not aware of and haven't been advised that there is a problem to either the lens mount or body mount by repeatedly having the camera body support the weight of the lens.

The comment were from the Canada web site, the "contact us" button.....

hihihi... obviously a politically correct answer !

---------- Post added 2015-08-09 at 15:44 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
My field kit consists of a K-3+DA*300+HD 1.4TC+GPS and related straps. The kit as configured, including batteries, weighs in around five pounds. I carry it with the strap across my body from right to left which results in the camera hanging on my left side lens pointing to the rear. The weight is carried by the short connector attached to the lens foot, as you can see. I also have a longer/looser "back-up" connector attached to the camera body (just in case...). When engaging a subject, I smoothly draw the camera up to my eye with my left hand as a support while slipping my right hand through the grip strap and making the necessary adjustments for the shot on the fly. I can comfortably go it all day rigged this way, plus both hands are free when the camera is not needed.

It's not awkward and works great... M
Wow..... no tripod...... but nice ! ! !

I went out yesterday and used my monopod attached to the lens mount.

I had the camera hanging from my neck and was holding it with my left hand.... fairly easy also. But your setup looks so much better. My problem is hand-holding the beast. But I sure will try it.

Thanks

08-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hi Michaelina2,
quick question. When you hand-hold the 300mm da, what part of the lens do you hold with your left hand ? I find that holding the lens mount shakes more than when I hold the lest hood. I think I lost several good shots because I may have been "leaning" on the focus ring and may have disturbed the focus. I also notice you have a grip strap: does that help a lot also ? I will be going in town next week to the photoshop and I have an eye on this strap:
https://peakdesign.com/store/?c=straps

I like it because I can keep my tripod quick-release plate and if I do want to bring my tripod, I can easily put it on and remove it, like I am currently doing.

Your comments are much appreciated
08-15-2015, 07:49 AM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
Hi,
I just received my 300mm DA* and my firs attempt at BIF was not too good but I will try again tomorrow, But I have a question regarding the lens weight: if the lens is on the camera, can I just let it hang from the neck strap ? Is there any chance of causing a problem to the lens or camera due to the weight ? ( I know my neck is sure gonna feel it ! ! ! ). I am asking because I usually carry my tripod with one hand and just let the camera hang from my neck, but, with a 55-300mm DAL, it is not much of a problem. But with this grenade launcher hanging, it seems to swing around much more !

Thanks
With my Tokina 400, I use this accessory strap. Not only does it take the weight off of the camera connection, but it makes it much more comfortable carrying a heavy lens. It quickly connects/disconnects from the main OpTech strap; or from around the lens itself.

OP/TECH USA Lens Support Adaptor System Connector