Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2015, 02:46 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Focus peaking is nice. But if you prefer using a VF, a body that will easily allow a new focus screen is an economical alternative. I use an ist DS for manual lenses, with an S type focus screen. This really helps for lenses f/2.8 and faster, although it gets pretty dark with my f/8 mirror lens.
Interesting thought. The ist DS was the first (proper) camera I owned. What is an S type screen, and how does it differ from a split screen focus screen?

I take it I could also get a new screen for the K5ii, but I vaguely remember people saying that these sorts of screens can impact on auto focus (or was it exposure), in which case I don't think I'd want to mess around with it. DS might still be an interesting option.

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2015 at 11:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
Interesting thought. The ist DS was the first (proper) camera I owned. What is an S type screen, and how does it differ from a split screen focus screen?

I take it I could also get a new screen for the K5ii, but I vaguely remember people saying that these sorts of screens can impact on auto focus (or was it exposure), in which case I don't think I'd want to mess around with it. DS might still be an interesting option.
I suspect I won't get one in the end, but assuming I was to get a cheap Pentax DSLR, specifically for manual focus, are any of these particularly better than the others. (And, of course, are any of them unsuitable - not compatible with new focus screens.)
ist D
ist DS
ist DL
ist DL2
K10/Samsung GX10
K20/Samsung GX20

I guess I'll have a look at the camera reviews, but any thoughts on these - particularly in relation to manual focus - would be appreciated.

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2015 at 11:29 AM ----------

Sorry, one more question.

Looking at the camera reviews, the ist D and DS support has - I quote - "TTL flash automation (in addition to P-TTL) which is a big plus for flash photography with older lenses."

Pentax *ist DS2 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

The other DSLRs do not seem to have this feature.

So does p-ttl not work with old manual lenses. (Will have to have a play when I get home.) How does ttl work, and what is the advantage with, for example, M lenses.

Thanks again

08-13-2015, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

I use a Fujifilm X-M1 with manual lenses (I bought it specifically for this purpose) and find it works very well. It's small, cheap (125GBP used but I've seen them for a bit less), light, has a tilting screen and excellent image quality. With a cheap adapter, old manual lenses (including PK and MD) close their aperture as the ring is turned. The camera automatically compensates for the amount of light and will work in A or M modes. Exposure is far more accurate than with a DSLR (because it's mirrorless). Focus-peaking is more accurate than on my K3 and you can zoom in for even great er accuracy.

I find it works generally much better with manual lenses than any DSLR I've tried.
08-13-2015, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2015 at 11:02 AM ----------

I suspect I won't get one in the end, but assuming I was to get a cheap Pentax DSLR, specifically for manual focus, are any of these particularly better than the others. (And, of course, are any of them unsuitable - not compatible with new focus screens.)
ist D
ist DS
ist DL
ist DL2
K10/Samsung GX10
K20/Samsung GX20

I guess I'll have a look at the camera reviews, but any thoughts on these - particularly in relation to manual focus - would be appreciated.

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2015 at 11:29 AM ----------

Sorry, one more question.

Looking at the camera reviews, the ist D and DS support has - I quote - "TTL flash automation (in addition to P-TTL) which is a big plus for flash photography with older lenses."

Pentax *ist DS2 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

The other DSLRs do not seem to have this feature.

So does p-ttl not work with old manual lenses. (Will have to have a play when I get home.) How does ttl work, and what is the advantage with, for example, M lenses.

Thanks again
The D and DS are, I believe, the only Ists with interchangeable focusing screens. The S type is a matte optimized for fast lenses, it actually shows where the focus point is at f/1.4 for instance. You can also get split screen, which does the same thing in a different way. The downsides are a darkening of the screen with slower lenses. The K10 and K20 also are easy to swap the screen from what I understand.

The other advantage of the *ist DS and D is being able to use auto-flash with manual lenses lacking the "A" setting. THis includes the pop-up flash and many old Pentax ttl flashes. I have a macro rig that uses an old ttl flash on an extender, that I can use with extension tubes, a bellows, etc. and not have to calculate the guide number and distance (or trial and error).

I'm sure one of the ML cameras would work, too. But the old cameras are pretty cheap these days. Good luck!
09-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Was tempted by the Sony, but based on these comments, I think I will stick with Pentax - and also think that I will stick with my K5ii for the moment (and keep using the trap focus). But whatever camera I upgrade to next, I'm sure it will have focus peaking.

I was very tempted by the K-S2 - particularly with the tilt screen as well as focus peaking - but I think there are things on the K5ii I'd miss.

Thanks
Despite originally saying I'd stick with the K5ii, I saw a Fuji X-M1 at a very good price, and couldn't resist.

Now that I have had a chance to use the X-M1 for a couple of weeks, I have now decided to buy a K-S2, and to sell the X-M1 and the k5ii.

Basically, I really like the movable screen - especially for use on a tripod. And the focus peaking was sometimes useful. But I missed having the option of trap focus, with manual lenses. And of course I couldn't use my DA lenses on it. And I missed image stabilisation. And I realised that, when not using it on a tripod, I missed the grip of the K5ii.

But then the K5ii didn't have the movable screen.

Also, having looked at a K-S2 in the shop there were some pleasant surprises. The liveview is better (it doesn't keep turning itself off after viewing an image, so it feels more like using a mirrorless.) Also, it allows bracketing with a remote (which previous entry level Pentax cameras haven't allowed.)

So basically, I decided that the main lesson to take from the X-M1 was that I really like a flip up screen.

Now I just hope I can sell my K5ii, the X-M1, and maybe a lens or two, and get enough to cover what I just paid for the K-S2.

(I will miss the quiet shutter of the K5ii though).