Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Rokinon/Samyang 14mm or 16mm?

Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a wide angle lens for landscape photography. I'm planning a trip for the Grand Canyon and that is why I'm mainly thinking to buy a lens. I have the DA 16-45, but it gives the best performance at 24-28mm. So the need for an extra wide angle. And the main lens I've kind of set my mind on is the Rokinon/Samyang 16mm.

I was also considering the 14mm for the extra coverage, but the 16mm lens seems to be sharper. I also considered the Tamron 10-24, Sigma 10-20 which has comparable prices, but I feel that its better to go to the 16mm Rokinon.

The 16mm also seems to be good for Astrophotography as an added advantage because of the f2.0 .

Please give suggestions and experiences. Thanks!

08-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

either or, all are good, your choice.........if I can find the link to a previous thread regarding the grand canyon I will post it..... the discussion went on with the concept of using longer focal lengths and stitching them together for better detail because you can only get so much in with a wide angle anyways (it made great sense in its context).......I have a bower 14/2.8 (which I saved a few months for) and love it!!! works great day or night

---------- Post added 08-09-15 at 10:15 PM ----------

found it.....also recommends a polarizing filter of some sort
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/297194-grand-canyon.html
08-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the 14mm. Juat remember that all that beautiful front bulging glass stops you using a *screw-in* filter.

Don't know about the 16.
08-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
Closed Account

Just picked up a 16 off of ebay -- for $152.00. Hoping the condition is as good as described. I've owned the HD DA15mm, and the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6. They were too wide for me to use comfortably/naturally, and i was happier using my Sigma 17-50 at 17. Hoping the Rokinon 16 will split the difference for me Two of my friends have Rokinon 14mm's -- and love them. They've both scored some nice astro shots.

08-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
wow esrandall, thats a great deal.. The only option I have might be to buy it new for 350$ at adorama or bhphoto. I think I might go for the 16mm as per the reviews from lenstip. The 16 mm has better image sharpness center to corner, compared to the 14mm though the 14mm is FF and 16mm APS-C

Samyang 16 mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com
Samyang 14 mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com
08-09-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
Closed Account

Yeah, serious score. The seller also has a K-3 currently at $500, with a few hours left. There was a $150 bid on the 16, and I just threw a $220 max bid figuring I had no real shot. But with a minute to go, my $152 was still on top. Guessing the seller thought they would get a lot more. I've had a couple auctions turn into real letdown, so that's just the way it goes sometimes.

I just picked up an HD DA21mm, and took it out for the first time today. Went to Mt St Helens, and got some really nice shots with it. Seemed wide enough to be perfectly honest, so we'll see how I feel once the 16 comes in the mail. Even if I didn't like it, I'm pretty sure I could sell it for a little profit. I'll try to post a few shots once I get it, just in case you hadn't pulled the trigger yet. We have a nice spot a few miles from my house that gives a clear view of Mt Rainier, so I'll be able to post that for sure.
08-10-2015, 05:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the Rokinon 16mm and I love it. You can use filters (77mm I think) I use it for astro photography and landscapes. Nice and sharp, very low CA

08-10-2015, 06:30 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip about the polarizing filter in Grand Canyon, I will try to get one, From the shot in the post, it seems like they used a GND Filter rather than a polarizing one, either way I'll need to get one to see the difference.

And @esrandall, Initially I was thinking of getting the HD DA 21, however sharpness wise, it seems the Samyang 16mm will outperform the DA 21 and the Samyang also has F 2 which is an added advantage. I wish I lived in WA where you have scenery close by, but I live in Houston, where, you don't really find landscapes on which you can try photography..
08-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Bower copy of the 14mm lens. The first one I received was de-centered, second one very good. Order ahead of time in case you have to exchange it. It is also fairly large & heavy to backpack with. You might consider the DA 15mm, much lighter and will take filters.
08-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #10

Original Poster
@Wingincamera Thanks for the tips. I'de decided on the Samyang 16mm F2 lens, and it can take filters 77m. I've ordered it from B&H and should get it on Friday. So I can do all testing during the weekend. Need some tips on how to test the focus/sharpness/ decentering issues and all..
08-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by donpjt Quote
@Wingincamera Thanks for the tips. I'de decided on the Samyang 16mm F2 lens, and it can take filters 77m. I've ordered it from B&H and should get it on Friday. So I can do all testing during the weekend. Need some tips on how to test the focus/sharpness/ decentering issues and all..
Others can probably give a better answer, but I downloaded a few focus charts and mounted them on a wall. A brick wall would probably do as well. I checked it from a few inches beyond minimal focus distance, then about three feet, and ten feet. Make sure the camera is level with the target & or wall. I did it outside so that I had good light.It should have good sharp focus from the center to all edges, If it is de-centered it will be noticeably sharper on one edge and not on the opposite edge. I was surprised at how sharp it was at 2.8 (2nd copy).

Tonight I might try and take some photos of the Perseid meteor shower, if weather permits. If I can I will use the Bower 14mm.
08-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Keep in mind also the 14mm Samyang is FF compatible.....the 16mm Samyang isn't and is APSC !
To check for decentering stand a few feet back from a brick wall or wood fence. Get focus plane in line with it and take several images from wide open to stopped down. Open images full size and check center sharpness and compare to edges and corners.....that's all there really is to it.
I have the 14mm Bower and it is absolutely fantastic. Takes some getting used to using the distance scale and mine needed some serious OO calibration...... Its now my overall favorite lens of all time.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 08-11-2015 at 01:54 PM.
08-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments. I will definitely test it the way you've mentioned. I know the 16mm is APS-C vs the 14mm being full frame. The only reason I went with the 16mm is because of the glass in front of the 14mm, being quite spherical, so it can't take filters, can get easily scratched and the 16mm seems to have a slight edge in sharpness, though I would imagine the 14mm is already way beyond what you'd want.. Also the 16mm has an additional stop and I'm not sure that I'd move to FF anytime soon, My wife is already unhappy about this purchase. Every trip i make, i either end up buying a camera or another lens.. and all this is not including the purchase of lens/camera during the holiday season and on ebay!
08-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by donpjt Quote
My wife is already unhappy about this purchase. Every trip i make, i either end up buying a camera or another lens.. and all this is not including the purchase of lens/camera during the holiday season and on ebay!
Sounds familiar, Don, good luck with it all!
08-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The distance scales on mine were off. If you search the forums there is a way to take it apart to correct it. What I did was place a piece of masking tape over the marks, then using a tripod & focus chart started focusing at different distances that I might use and making my own marks on the tape. For landscape I know that my five foot mark with F stop of 5.6 or smaller will give me sharp focus from a few feet in front of me to infinity. No view finder needed, other than to compose the shot.