Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I went to England recently and my light kit was the k20d, af200t flash, the 18-55 kit lens, and the MF Tokina 80-200 4.5-5.6 zoom. That Tokina is really small, really light, and really cheap on eBay. And it takes good pics, great value.

Also, most places in Mexico, unless you are involved in shady activities, aren't that different from any other big US city crime wise.

If you're not looking for drugs, you're probably not going to end up in some bad situation. Just keep your wits about you, don't get drunk and bust out the camera late at night, don't leave it in plain view on beach, etc.

Regardless, I suggest you check out that Tokina zoom, it's basically the same size at the 18-55 kit lens, takes great pics, and is so cheap that you won't kill yourself if you lose it, drop it in the ocean, or get mugged.

08-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steveeboy Quote
I went to England recently and my light kit was the k20d, af200t flash, the 18-55 kit lens, and the MF Tokina 80-200 4.5-5.6 zoom. That Tokina is really small, really light, and really cheap on eBay. And it takes good pics, great value.

Also, most places in Mexico, unless you are involved in shady activities, aren't that different from any other big US city crime wise.

If you're not looking for drugs, you're probably not going to end up in some bad situation. Just keep your wits about you, don't get drunk and bust out the camera late at night, don't leave it in plain view on beach, etc.

Regardless, I suggest you check out that Tokina zoom, it's basically the same size at the 18-55 kit lens, takes great pics, and is so cheap that you won't kill yourself if you lose it, drop it in the ocean, or get mugged.
Perfect! I'm going to look up the Tokina 80-200. Is there a similar legacy lens with standard zoom?
08-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
General landscapes and street photography? I'm bringing my DA20-40 limited.

Traveling light? Bringing my Olympus XA 35mm film camera or similar pocket camera. Possibly two, just in case one dies. Probably a 5pk of Portra 400 and an equal amount of Ektar 100 or Velvia. Also my Olympus TG-3 for digital.
08-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #19
Pentaxian

The 18-135 is near-perfect for this purpose, but I'd want a faster small prime with me as well for low light situations.

08-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Sure but you need to be aware that Mexico is in an active war right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Drug_War

Some crimes, especially deaths, won't be recorded as a typical crime statistic.
08-11-2015, 04:24 AM   #21
przemomir

I used kit 18-55 in high humidity conditions (botanic gardens under glass). I got no WR version, but this "normal" is alive until today .
08-11-2015, 06:10 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 50-200 used is cheap and light. I have one in the marketplace (pm me if you can't locate it.) I carried a Paris many years ago. Today I would likely take an 18-135 for simplicity. On a trip to San Fran a couple of years ago I took a superzoom Nikon compact - later I gave it to my daughter. Another San Fran trip saw me take my 18-135. It is all too easy to get hung up in the details. Take something and enjoy.

08-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vikranta Quote
Perfect! I'm going to look up the Tokina 80-200. Is there a similar legacy lens with standard zoom?

Thought you just wanted a single walkaround lens, Vikranta!

Once you've broken that rule the floodgates can open on suggestions!
08-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #24

Original Poster
Hahaha yes I don't mind multiple cheap lenses if single walk around lens won't do.. I don't want to lose anything expensive. Besides I do have $500 insurance which should cover my K5..
08-12-2015, 12:44 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I was there with some years ago with my Optio S4 and a Lumix 12xzoom camera (before my DSLR era) and I can recommend WR. Take your kit lens and get a A50/1.7 or DA50/1.8 when you need a faster lens, unless you go birding this would be sufficient. I did a bike tour in the jungle, that was fun.

Seb
08-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #26
Forum Member

Mexican "drug war" has been ongoing for decades now.

Again, chances of you being involved in anything related to it are remote. Border towns close to the US are much less safe than actual Mexican cities--and I assume when we say "I am going to Mexico" we don't mean Juarez, Tijuana, Matamoros, etc.

Zona-Rosa (red-light district) activities of strippers and prostitutes will also result in you entering crime world and you should avoid this sort of thing in Mexico.

So, I state again, unless you decide you want to buy drugs and/or women in Mexico and you end up hanging out with shady people, your chances of coming to any harm because of that drug war are fairly remote--but, border towns are a different story as this is where drug activity is highly concentrated and most volatile.

OTOH, people I know who have been mugged while in Mexico were set up by tour operators, bus drivers, etc. That's standard tourist crime, NOT "cartel-related." Typical areas like Puerto Vallarta are very safe. People very nice. Tons of tourists, people with cameras. etc. They aren't looking to rob you, because bad publicity hurts their business and their resort's reputation.

And, the more "local" you are with your travels--unlike say, staying in an all-inclusive or coming off a cruise ship-- the more the locals are going to be looking out for you.

Back to subject at hand:

as far as the kit lens goes, if the kit lenses are $80 or so--like the 18-55 al-II, not sure why you would want legacy/vintage zoom to replace it. Not gonna save much cash, you can always replace the kit zoom if you lose it, it is AF and better performance than the--a bit cheaper-- legacy stuff, etc.

Like I said, on a recent trip to England, I was covered fine with kit lens ($85 or so from KEH), that tokina 80-200 ($35), and Pentax aft-200 flash ($20). I was shooting my K20d because I didn't want to lose my K-01 and the DSLR finder works better outside in bright light than the lcd screen on the K-01.

I shot interior museum stuff, outdoor landscapes and buildings, some posed group shots of a college study-abroad class, and candids (with and without flash) in pubs and restaurants.

Total replacement value of the entire kit would easily be under $500.

Last edited by steveeboy; 08-12-2015 at 08:26 AM.
08-12-2015, 08:04 AM   #27

Original Poster
Mexican "drug war" has been ongoing for decades now.

Again, chances of you being involved in anything related to it are remote. Border towns close to the US are much less safe than actual Mexican cities--and I assume when we say "I am going to Mexico" we don't mean Juarez, Tijuana, Matamoros, etc.

Zona-Rosa (red-light district) activities of strippers and prostitutes will also result in you entering crime world and you should avoid this sort of thing in Mexico.

So, I state again, unless you decide you want to buy drugs in Mexico and you end up hanging out with shady people, your chances of coming to any harm because of that drug war are fairly remote.

People I know who have been mugged while in Mexico were set up by tour operators, bus drivers, etc. That's standard tourist crime, NOT "cartel-related."

Back to subject at hand:

as far as the kit lens goes, if the kit lenses are $80 or so--like the 18-55 al-II, not sure why you would want legacy/vintage zoom to replace it. Not gonna save much cash, you can always replace the kit zoom if you lose it, it is AF and better performance than the--cheap-- legacy stuff, etc.

Like I said, on a recent trip to England, I was covered fine with kit lens ($85 or so from KEH), that tokina 80-200 ($35), and Pentax aft-200 flash ($20). I was shooting my K20d because I didn't want to lose my K-01 and the DSLR finder works better outside in bright light than the lcd screen on the K-01.

I shot interior museum stuff, outdoor landscapes and buildings, some posed group shots of a college study-abroad class, and candids (with and without flash) in pubs and restaurants.

Total replacement value of the entire kit would easily be under $500.
I will be visiting Cancun and yes I just plan on enjoying the beaches and water activities. I do hear that Tulum (just south of Cancun) is scenic too with Mayan ruins. So I do want to take photographs there. As per suggestions so far, I think I should be okay with my kit lens (18-55) for general outdoor stuff and 50 1.7 for low light within the ruins. I am banned from buying any major lenses by my home minister for this year.. so you know how it is
I will leave behind my 10-20 and 70mm.
08-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Take a tripod and bone up on some of these techniques so that you will not miss the 10-20 that much at least for relatively static subjects...

How to Shoot Really Big Panoramas - Digital Photography School
08-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vikranta Quote
I will be visiting Cancun and yes I just plan on enjoying the beaches and water activities. I do hear that Tulum (just south of Cancun) is scenic too with Mayan ruins. So I do want to take photographs there. As per suggestions so far, I think I should be okay with my kit lens (18-55) for general outdoor stuff and 50 1.7 for low light within the ruins. I am banned from buying any major lenses by my home minister for this year.. so you know how it is
I will leave behind my 10-20 and 70mm.
Tulum is fantastic
The bottom pic I would crop differently if I wasn't lazy, lol.
But as you can see, you have the ruins, you also have the beautiful beach, and you have birds flying around. This means you have a variety of conditions and that is where a travel zoom really shines. All I had with me were my DA 35mm Ltd and 14mm. An 18-135mm (or even better a 16-85mm) would've worked out better.

08-12-2015, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

You should be looking at 2 lenses, the DA 18-135, and the DA 16-85

The 16-85 is wider and sharper across it's whole range, the 18-135 is good in the wide end, and still has excellent centre sharpness in the long end for portraits and wildlife ( but not as
good for landscape in the long end.)

Both lenses have many ardent and fervent users.

With all due respect to the above posters, I personally don't think a lens that only goes to 50mm is a good travel lens. And for speed and low light, a 50 1.8 and 21 3.2 are better options than carrying a 16-50 2.8 if you need fast. People constantly over emphasize the value of ƒ2.8 in travel lenses, as if you're going to be shooting in caves all the time or something. I'm not really sure what the logic is, or if it's just something they say because they bought an ƒ2.8 lens. You don't hear a lot of people who bought 18-135s saying "gee I really missed having ƒ2.8 on my vacation." To me, the 16 mm of the 16-85 is probably more useful than the ƒ2.8 17-50 type lens.