Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem is that most people can live with the 1 1/3 stop difference between 1.8 and 2.8. That's just not significant to most of us. Maybe the K3ii with the higher claimed shake reduction or something to reduce noise in post processing would be a better option?

08-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I'd consider the Ricoh GR II for the wide shots. When shooting a dynamic event like a wedding, I'd be afraid of going wider than F2.8 for anything but inanimate shots anyway due to the narrow DOF of wider apertures and resultant mis-focused shots.
08-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #18
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
one around 20mm
For this have you considered... my "Good Lady” (SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8), lightweight, preset hyperfocal focus, so absolutely silent focusing, and fast enough for most things.
08-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried the da21 as my wedding prime and it worked, but I kept wishing it would zoom a little. Hence my recent HD DA20-40 limited purchase. Coupled with a DA70 or a DA*55 would make a good 1-2 for light weight. I sold the 70 and the 21 to afford the 20-40 and immediately regretted the 70 sale. I just use the 50-135 more.

08-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Even 18mm feels a tad long at times when I've been used to having 17mm for the past 3-4 years.
You might also want to consider the sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 - though that lens is slow as hell the focal lengths allow for hand holding comfortably down to 1/15th
08-12-2015, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You might also want to consider the sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 - though that lens is slow as hell the focal lengths allow for hand holding comfortably down to 1/15th
I think subject movement might be an issue at those speeds - you may be still and sr may work but people tend to move too much for 1/15th at a wedding.

---------- Post added 08-13-15 at 12:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
For this have you considered... my "Good Lady” (SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8), lightweight, preset hyperfocal focus, so absolutely silent focusing, and fast enough for most things.
I wondered about that also. But at 1/3 of a stop faster than the 21 it seems no better for his situation. Hyper focal at f/2.8 (wide open) isn't much help.

I'm stumped. I think it's time to recommend flashes.
08-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a long time I was looking for a fast (and not huge) wide(20ish) lens. (and am still looking for a solution)
At the end considering DA21's size and center sharpness wide open, I ended up finding it the best choice for me. at least until Pentax come up with something better (with digital coatings) in that range.
08-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UV - maybe I'm off but I'm assuming the OP is using at least an on-camera flash gun to shoot weddings.

I've tried a Nikon mount 18-35 and it is slow, and I found it to be an awkward lens. I really didn't like its zoom range at all.

The HD DA20-40 is equally silent but much faster and imo a more useful range. For me the loss from 18mm to 20mm was more than offset by the difference between 35 and 40. 35 isn't long enough for me for a good quick portrait but 40 is great. It's also roughly 2/3 the size and weight. A great little lens.

08-13-2015, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think subject movement might be an issue at those speeds - you may be still and sr may work but people tend to move too much for 1/15th at a wedding.
You can use panning to help with that. The Panning technique isn't only useful with telephoto lenses, it can be very effective with slower wide-angle lenses where Isolating the subject with shallow DOF is not an option.
08-13-2015, 03:25 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
F2.8 is do-able indeed but the 1+ stop ISO I could save has a very large appeal. The shallower DoF isn't too big of a problem.

Flash is a general no-go until the bridal dance which means there is a lot during the evening (and in the church) I'll have to cover by relying on the camera + lens performances only.

I own a Sigma 10-20mm f4.5-5.6. I always bring it along but rarely use it except for church photos and to establishing how the venue is. At f4.5 it's very slow (and dark through the viewfinder) but at the wider end, the distortion is too high and ugly for my taste.

Focusing speed is very important - I put a lot of energy to capture close-up shots while the couple and guests are dancing - currently I rely mostly on 21mm stopped down to f8 and add extra light using flash, and preset the focus manually. It works great, but everything becomes sharp and I don't always want that. I've been trying a lot lately with the DA 50mm f1.8, but this lens is super unreliable regarding focusing accuracy.

Lens noises do not matter at all ones the music starts, but is very relevant during the dinner, where people have speeches and stuff like that. Stuff can go wild all of the sudden, for instance if the bride leave the room then every female must/can kiss the groom - this usually happens fast. so focusing speed can be vital here too.
08-13-2015, 04:45 AM   #26
Pentaxian

at the wider end, the distortion is too high and ugly for my taste.
The Sigma 8-16mm has a controlled distortion characteristic in the 12-14mm range.
08-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #27
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Hyper focal at f/2.8 (wide open) isn't much help.
Aye true enough, but you could stop down a bit, I've handheld my "Good Lady" at some silly slow shutter speeds and still got good results.
08-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye true enough, but you could stop down a bit, I've handheld my "Good Lady" at some silly slow shutter speeds and still got good results.
But if that's the case then the existing DA 21 he already tried would work right? He's been clear that it was too slow wide open. And silly slow shutter speed only works if the subject isn't moving - you can be reasonably still and stabilized via SR but the subject's own movement is out of your control and doesn't care about your needs as the photographer... LOL.
08-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #29
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

doesn't care about your needs as the photographer...
He'll just have to give it a good talking to.
08-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
he'll just have to give it a good talking to.
a-m-e-n!