Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2015, 09:17 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
It's supposed to be awesome - so again, should I send it in for repairs and what kind of expenses should I expect?
That looks like what I was getting from a DA16-50.
It doesn't worth repairing, return it.

09-11-2015, 04:09 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
meh - anyways, i just met with the guy and he got the lens back and I got my money. It's a shjame it was a bad copy.

hoopsontoast: looks very nice but that lens is probably hard to find. i'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks.
09-11-2015, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

meh - anyways, i just met with the guy and he got the lens back and I got my money. It's a shjame it was a bad copy.

hoopsontoast: looks very nice but that lens is probably hard to find. i'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks.
It can be, but I put a wanted ad up on classifieds here and a local Pentax site and had one offered to me within a week (came from Netherlands to the UK).

I was looking at the Sigma 24mm f1.8 & 20mm f1.8, DA 21 Limited, FA28 f2.8 and the new Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art but the FA*24 seems to provide the best compromise of speed, build/size and IQ
09-12-2015, 06:32 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Brougth one not long ago, used. A bit heavy, like the kit lense is size (so it appear really dense). Got it for a great price. The lense give cripsness at all settings on center but the border are weak at f/2. They are still not so great at f/2.8-f/4 but to me that far less visble. At f/8 it is very sharp everywhere.

I'am not sure I'd advocate it for the f/2 performance, just yet, but I need to test this in the field. What it has for it, is the ability to make picture pop due to great contrast/micro constrast and colors. For your use case (weddings), not sure you'll prefer it to 18-35 or to the sigma 24mm. I'd say against the sigma the border are great at f/8.

It focus very fast, silently for a screw drive (you don't hear it) and accurately.

09-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I rarely stop down my lenses, and when I do it's mostly during group photos or because I'm forced to because of the sun. Good performance on wide open aperture would be great, but not vital as it will mostly be used for candid shots. I fear 24mm might be a tad too long though.
09-20-2016, 04:02 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's been just a tad more than a year and I finally bought a lens - wohoo!

It's been difficult - whenever I decided upon a lens, it was nowhere to be found, so time just went by with waiting for availability, looking for a new lens, work etc. etc. Few days ago I got myself a Sigma 85mm f1.4.

This lens was never at the top of my list because of it's minimum focusing distance. I know 0.85ish meters MFD is normal for such a lens, but I would have preferred something that would focus closer. A 85mm f1.4 Macro? Oh my, that would be nice

Anyhow, I was running out of options and ended up with this - I didn't feel like it was a compromise when I ordered it and now that I've been shooting with it for few days, I must say I'm in love. It did scare me on the second day, when it wouldn't focus properly on subjects more than 5 meters away, but now, it takes on any challenge, from indoor low light to outdoor under brighter light and much much longer distances. It nails the shots even on first try and at f1.4 and though I get some misses here and there, I'm still getting the feeling, that this might be my most precise lens to date. Or maybe I'm just still at awe by the f1.4 :P

I always knew DA 50mm f1.8 wasn't something I should expect too much of but still - the difference is like night and day - on moon and Earth!

Focusing is sweet - maybe same speed as Sigma 70-200, but feels a tad snappier and more confident. It is for sure more confident because the 70-200 became handicapped the moment I slapped it on K-3 II. For some reason it doesn't work too well with the camera and is so far the only lens, that can cause the camera to freeze.

As for a fast wide lens, I still have to find one. So far I'm managing with my 21mm Limited. The one thing I super duper love about the 21mm is the size, as it allows me to get super duper close, whereas with just a bit larger lens, I would be worried about hitting someone on the head by accident. The 21mm is so small that it vanishes in between my hand/fingers.

Oh btw - I've had Samyang 85mm f1.4 for few years and it's "ok" but so frekin' terrible to focus even when using LV. The Sigma is, to my big surprise, much easier to focus right through the viewfinder. Not that I can do it all the time, I can't. But it's way easier to manually focus IMO. As a manual only lens, Samyang should be ashamed.

I haven't done any nice shots with the Sigma - have a wedding coming up next weekend and might post something afterwards.
09-20-2016, 06:56 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What caused the focus problem that had you worried? How did you fix it?
09-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I can't say for sure but I think it was camera related. That first scare thing was during the evening, under dull/flat light, and the majority of the shots were out of focus and not just by a bit.

Earlier today, I was out and did some more. It was sunny and of the 32 shots I did, the vast majority were spot on and few missed because of tricky subjects. I think there was only one where you could say it was a clear fail but after a single retry it got nailed. So all in all 3 or 4 missed focus shots out of 32. Not bad at all.

Now, I was just out again and did some of the same shots as earlier plus more and it's misbehaving again. It's mostly cloudy now and the focus is close, but not entirely there with the exception of few shots. It mostly ranges between OK and "very close".

To me, this seems like a camera issue.

09-21-2016, 04:58 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Dare I say it? Yeah, I do. I think the lens is perfect, but the camera isn't and that is what I'm seeing when shooting under an overcast sky.

It's sunny again today and everything is just perfect - it's frekin awesome. Beside the fact, that I live in Denmark, where an overcast sky is the normal thing to see :P