Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2015, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's suggestions - this is why I so love this forum!

Based on the advice given, I have ordered a flash (AF540FGZ 2) and will spend at least an hour a day between now and the wedding (three weeks), using it with the lenses and working it out. Hopefully by then I'll at least have some idea of what I am doing!

It looks like the 20-40, the 35 and the 50 will be the most used lenses, but I'll take along the 12-24 and the 90 just in case.

This topic has provided great information and I really do appreciate your input.

Thanks.

08-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try to enjoy it also!
08-19-2015, 10:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're still up for buying a lens, buy the 50-135. I love love love that lens. Sell it or trade it after the wedding for the 77. Pair it with the 20-40 and bring both macro lenses.

For practice, grab the bride and possibly the groom for a couple photo sessions before the wedding. Get used to shooting them, posing them, directing them. If you buy a flash (and you should) practice with it during these shoots. Try to manage indoors and outdoors shoots.

I like to ride the flash power on my manual flash over using aperture to control. I set my camera at 1/125s or 1/160s and f4, iso800 indoors, and adjust flash power as necessary. I like my Yongnuo wireless controller and 560iv so far too. Bounce that flash!

Check out the lighting 101 faq on the Strobist website too!
08-19-2015, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
Thanks for everyone's suggestions - this is why I so love this forum!

Based on the advice given, I have ordered a flash (AF540FGZ 2) and will spend at least an hour a day between now and the wedding (three weeks), using it with the lenses and working it out. Hopefully by then I'll at least have some idea of what I am doing!

It looks like the 20-40, the 35 and the 50 will be the most used lenses, but I'll take along the 12-24 and the 90 just in case.

This topic has provided great information and I really do appreciate your input.

Thanks.
You made a good decision! Flash is a necessary and if you are not satisfied what are you getting with P-TTL than switch your flash to manual and try it. It works better if you use prime lens while you can set the zooming flash head to proper length and just adjust flash power on the go. From the experience with DA50mm the 1/2 power is more than sufficient and give you very fast recycle times. If you are outside than you have to use flash directly without bouncing however if you are inside than you can bounce the flash (check this NVN Tangents).

Your plan to practice is very good and will get you some confidence and better knowledge about your equipment.

Good luck and best wishes for your daughter marriage... A very happy moment and for sure those memories will be well preserved by her father!

All the best!

P.S. you should start to train how to photograph kids... wild guess here but I think that soon you will be very happy grand father!

08-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

It is your daughter... I know that's the second time but really I think that for such occasion you should be part of the ceremony and event, really feel it rather than spend it detached trying to get the best shoots.

For me, I'd really consider giving the task to somebody else so you can truely enjoy the wedding.
08-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
It is your daughter... I know that's the second time but really I think that for such occasion you should be part of the ceremony and event, really feel it rather than spend it detached trying to get the best shoots.

For me, I'd really consider giving the task to somebody else so you can truely enjoy the wedding.
I agree, and I had spoken to her and asked that she get a pro, but it seemed she hadn't "heard" and so I was prepared to do my best (as you do for your kids).

However, when I spoke to her yesterday I brought up my hesitancy for the umpteenth time and she said that they now have a pro for the ceremony and a brief shoot after to make sure they get some top shots on the beach and into the setting sun. My repetition paid off - she finally had "heard" me!

I felt great relief.

My camera (with its new flash) will be among a bevvy - everything from phones to DSLR - at the casual drinks and dinner afterwards but I will now be able to relax and enjoy the event and shoot what I want without pressure.

Happy me .

An added bonus is that it has made me take the leap to a flash, and to think about what I really want/need re lenses and where the gaps are in my gear.

In the longer term think I want two more lenses - the 77 and the 50-135....need to save for those ones, though.
08-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

In the longer term think I want two more lenses - the 77 and the 50-135....need to save for those ones, though.
I had the 50-135, brought the FA77 and finally sold the 50-135. In find the FA77 better but depending of the situation, you might be better with a zoom than a prime for a wedding.

But don't discount what f/1.8 will provide vs f/2.8 in some situations !

08-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
you might be better with a zoom than a prime for a wedding.
Events are for zooms, Nicolas. You can't be missing shots applying the techniques of a landscape photographer, still fumbling between the FA31 and FA77 and setting up the tripod while the couple disappear around the corner in the car. :-)

The pros I've seen usually have a couple of bodies, with wide and longer f2.8 zooms. Flashes are available except where a church might ban them.

An 85mm prime is often available in their bag for set shots when more time is available - eg the rings by themselves, the flowers at the reception.

Sure, you can - and people have - deliberately set themselves the challenge of only using primes or phones or manual focus or B&W or whatever.

But this seems indulgent - about the ambitions of the photographer rather than what the couple, their family and friends want, which is coverage.

Last edited by clackers; 08-22-2015 at 03:34 PM.
08-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Events are for zooms, Nicolas. You can't be missing shots applying the techniques of a landscape photographer, still fumbling between the FA31 and FA77 and setting up the tripod while the couple disappear around the corner in the car. :-)

The pros I've seen usually have a couple of bodies, with wide and longer f2.8 zooms. Flashes are available except where a church might ban them.

An 85mm prime is often available in their bag for set shots when more time is available - eg the rings by themselves, the flowers at the reception.

Sure, you can - and people have - deliberately set themselves the challenge of only using primes or phones or manual focus or B&W or whatever.

But this seems indulgent - about the ambitions of the photographer rather than what the couple, their family and friends want, which is coverage.

Well the 2 last wedding I have done with primes. I didn't feel limited in anyway but I'am not a pro. Beside, If I was only after landscapes, I wouldn't have got the FA77 but more the DA70. This is clearly a portrait lense.

As a non paid an amateur I don't think I should keep or spend thousand $ of gear to be sure I get the "coverage" that familly and friends want. In particular because there only a few wedding in life and theses should be covered by pro, not amateurs. They are paid for that, after all. So if I prefer the FA77, that's my choice, I don't force other to ask me to take photo for thems... Usually I warn them to not expect too much from it and that they would be better with pros.

In a sense, this is funny because a collegue seen my some of my wedding picture and said they are quite good and that he didn't got that much when he paid for it. I think you both need to be paid for it, but take somebody that is good at it too (don't say I'am good, and don't pretend to anything) There too many guys that elect themselves as "pro" because they own a DSLR. I also think if you need great wedding picture as a client you should take the time to pose for some shoots and try to choose a venue with great lighting and overall that look great... Choose a period of the year with good weather too.

And on ASPC, the poor amateur with fast primes might do better than a bad/average pro with f/2.8 zooms. f/2.8 is a bit limiting on APSC. I don't say APSC prevent to get great shoots, that's wrong but on some situations, without fast enough lense that could be a bit limiting.

Sure I recognize the value of zooms for such situations but as long as you are not a pro selling the pictures and you are not paid for it, I think you have the right to choose the gear you want and nobody should complain. I don't know if the thread owner here wish to buy the 77 and 55-135 for future weddings, events especially or general use.

Anyway if you plan to have zoom to take many shoots ,for coverage and performance you should also consider a combination that has fast and accurate AF. This is not the case by far with the 50-135. This one is slow and not precise on K5. You may need to finish with MF and that not especially fast. You might get the job done with K3 + 50-135 but I'am not sure that would the best possible choice if performance and coverage is your priority.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 08-22-2015 at 04:22 PM.
08-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I haven't read all replies and following might have been said by others: do not forget to enjoy your daughters wedding! At the end of the day, I think she'd appreciate your company more than you being "away" because of photos.

With that said, if I were to cover a wedding using the lenses you have, I'd go with following:

20-40, 335 and 50mm

12-24mm: I use such focals for establishing shots, such us the location of the wedding and stuff like that. I often end up with 2-3 photos at such focals unless the wedding took place at some very nice place, in which case I may end u with 4-6 pics :P

That's of cause just me. The super-wide focal is nice to have, but I can manage just fine without it.

20-40mm: This would be my main workhorse to use for especially candid and group photos.

35mm Macro: This is my rings and bouquet lens (and maybe decorations sometimes). I rarely use it for other stuff.

50mm: This would be my second most used lens, for stuff like moody shots, portraits and also close-shots of the rings, bouquet and decorations.

I find that the focusing can be a bit off - take plenty of pics with this one.

90mm: I own it but have never used it for weddings, however with just the gear you have, I'd use this for formal pics of the couple, if you will be doing such a thing. If not, then I'd leave it at home.

Flash: great thing you are going to rent a flash. I mostly use it from the bridal dance and onward. If you are going to use it as fill light, for instance outdoors, then practice using humans, not just some random stuff. It makes all the difference.
08-22-2015, 11:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I found the opposite to be true for me. I loved what I got from my DA70 and its weight but the IQ and handiness of the 50-135 kept it in my bag. For running around a wedding (some paid, some done for favors to friends) and other events I prefer the flexibility. AF is fast enough and accurate for me so far on my K-30.

I had the 50-135, brought the FA77 and finally sold the 50-135. In find the FA77 better but depending of the situation, you might be better with a zoom than a prime for a wedding.

But don't discount what f/1.8 will provide vs f/2.8 in some situations !
08-23-2015, 04:36 AM   #27
Pentaxian

My repetition paid off - she finally had "heard" me!I felt great relief.
That's the great news, you can't be the father of bride and a wedding pro at the same time, it's impossible.
08-24-2015, 03:08 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
That's the great news, you can't be the father of bride and a wedding pro at the same time, it's impossible.

Mother, actually....but still impossible even though I am a multi-tasker from way back! Let's just say "parent".

Aussie $ is dropping fast, so I have actually bitten the bullet and ordered an FA 77mm as they're still in stock and priced at not too far off $US parity at dcxpert. Based on past experience with them, it'll be here tomorrow...they're good.

I have asked for a quote on the 50-135, but that is coming in at new exchange rates by the looks of things, so it could well be a no go price-wise.

Very excited about the 77 as I am rapidly realising I really do like primes....LBA....and this site feeds it with all the wonderful pics!

Thanks for all your input everyone.
08-24-2015, 03:19 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Mother, actually....but still impossible even though I am a multi-tasker from way back! Let's just say "parent".
Thanks for all your input everyone.
Oops... I apologize!
08-24-2015, 04:36 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Oops... I apologize!
Absolutely no apology necessary...we can't see each other on the forum, so such things are bound to occur.

It is what it is and life's too short to suffer offence when none was intended. I just appreciate everyone's help and advice.