Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A Pig in a Poke?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I saw this SMC Pentax-F 70-210mm lens on eBay and after reading the question asked of the seller, I decided to put it on my "watch list." I already have one of them and it's a superb lens, but cosmetically, it leaves a lot to be desired. It is, without question, one of the sharpest lenses I own. I call it my "tractor lens," because it looks and sounds more like a farm implement that a camera lens! The violent auto focus was startling the first time I used it! But, the images is produced quickly belayed any noise issues I might have had.

So, getting back to the subject of this post. The lens was being sold "As is,for parts only" but the question to and answer given by the seller made me think that maybe.... just maybe, he didn't know anything about lenses in particular and was selling it As Is because he didn't have any way of testing it. His other items he had for sale were odds and ends, kinda' like yard sale items. This too piqued my interest.

So, I ended up being the only bidder at $17.00. Another Pig in a Poke, but I've struck gold more than once by going out on a limb like this. We'll see.

Pentax SMC Pentax F Zoom 1 4 5 6 70 210 Mm | eBay

08-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You may just luck out !
Sounds like maybe....just maybe.....its listed as parts only as they cant test it and in reality it is good ? If that is the case....YOU WIN !
08-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Well worst case scenario is you spent 17 bucks on a paperweight. But I doubt it, looks like it'd at least function as a MF lens.
08-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope it's a good one! I just did that with a T-mount Vivitar 180/3.5 preset lens, it came with a Minolta MD adapter so that might have kept bidders away. It's like new for a lens nearly as old as myself, and I paid about $30 shipped for it. Plus I already have a PK-T adapter

08-19-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

same thing happened to me on an SMC A 200mm f4 lense - it was listed in the wrong category on eBay and I ended up winning it for $27; the seller states that it is great condition with no fungus and no scratches on the elements......

we'll see when it arrives on Friday....
08-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
same thing happened to me on an SMC A 200mm f4 lense - it was listed in the wrong category on eBay and I ended up winning it for $27; the seller states that it is great condition with no fungus and no scratches on the elements......

we'll see when it arrives on Friday....

Let us know if it works out. Hope so! If I remember correctly, didn't you mention not long ago that you also have an A-70-210mm lens? When I got my first one, I was totally blown away at it's sharpness and color saturation. One heck of a lens, IMHO.
08-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Let us know if it works out. Hope so! If I remember correctly, didn't you mention not long ago that you also have an A-70-210mm lens? When I got my first one, I was totally blown away at it's sharpness and color saturation. One heck of a lens, IMHO.

I do have an A 70-210; "Ursula"...

she's got legs and color.... a stunner of a lense... and perfect companion to the A 35-105mm.....

---------- Post added 08-19-15 at 04:20 PM ----------

there are three more manual primes making their way home to me within the next week or so...

08-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster

---------- Post added 08-19-15 at 04:20 PM ----------

there are three more manual primes making their way home to me within the next week or so...

And they would be..........?
08-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

an SMC K/300 f4, an SMC A 200 f/4, and an SMC M 50 f4 macro...
08-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You spent 23.35 and might get a working lens, if not it could be an easy fix or a good looking paperweight. People spend more than that on lottery tickets everyday with much worse odds and they only end up with paper. And you get this fun thread. We're all rooting for you! Good luck. I've done some similar gables, some work out, some don't, anybody need parts for a M 40-80?
08-20-2015, 05:19 AM   #11
Pentaxian

His other items he had for sale were odds and ends, kinda' like yard sale items.
Checking the other items a seller has listed can definitely give you a clue as to whether the lens is truly broken or whether he picked it up from a garage sale or thrift store and simply had no way of testing it, as you suspect. I bought a great little action camera that way. It was listed as having a problem. The battery wouldn't hold a charge so the camera wouldn't stay on. The camera looked brand new from the pictures...even had the box and all the accessories. I checked the other items the seller had listed and it was clear that this was someone who was buying up stores' returned items or else was buying up the left over items from stores that had closed. So I took a gamble that nothing was seriously wrong with the camera and placed a bid. As it turned out, the camera WAS brand new and the battery was fine. The only thing wrong was that the "auto shutoff" time was set to 10 seconds and that's why it kept turning off on them. I guess nobody had bothered to read the instructions on how to change it.
08-20-2015, 04:58 PM - 2 Likes   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

it worked out - no marks on the lense except a bit of adhesive where a label had been....

08-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it worked out - no marks on the lense except a bit of adhesive where a label had been....

So.... is this the A-200mm lens? If so, it's extremely sharp.... and the colors are so bright, they hurt my eyes! You did good!
08-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #14
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

So.... is this the A-200mm lens? If so, it's extremely sharp.... and the colors are so bright, they hurt my eyes! You did good!

thank you - yes, this is the A 200 lense...

SMC Pentax-A 200mm F4 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
08-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, my "pig in a poke" arrived today. It was not as good as I would have hoped, but after all, it was sold "As is.... for parts or not working." It appears to be in good condition other than the inner, rear lens element is loose. It looks like I could fix it if I had a spanner wrench to re-attach it. It has three "tabs" that fit into corresponding "slots" in the barrel. Are said spanners available.... and if so, where?

I'm not willing to spend the money to send it off to Eric for refurbishing, as I already have one in good condition. It was just a gamble from the start.... and I knew that, but.... just sayin'....

Last edited by Dewman; 02-11-2016 at 02:20 AM.