Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One more lenses for the wedding thread.

I discovered lately than instead of shooting wedding as a guest next month, I need to cover the bride dressing up because her hired pro will start shooting from the ceremony. Now It's a pressure.
And the ceremony is outside on the porch with the view on the Manhattan across the river, perhaps, long zoom is what must have.

I'm not a big fan of mixing different camera systems photos in the album I will print, but it's not that bad actually as it may look.

The plan for the dressing in the hotel room is:

DA 21mm ltd for Pentax
Sigma 30mm f1.4 for Canon
Canon 40mm f2.8.
I have external flash only for Pentax camera, still have time to buy for Canon as well.

For the venue and the ceremony outdoor:
DA70mm ltd (my top lens for portraits, love it!)
Tamron 90mm macro (endlessly sharp and great for small crops if needed)
DA21mm again for the landscape view.
Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 (covers all the long range and I can stay away from a pro on distance, this lens is sharp at 250mm, and lightweight)

Is it a good idea to use polarized filters outdoors for the wedding? I'm not sure.
Perhaps I start over thinking all that setup. Is it better to pack more than regret?

Here is the view of the location, random photo from online:
http://www-static.weddingbee.com/pics/69377/my_wed_0.jpg

P.S. And I cover the rehearsal dinner as well.

Last edited by micromacro; 08-19-2015 at 09:20 PM.
08-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If Pentax is the primary, rent a DA* 16-50 or HD DA 20-40 limited for the inside work, DA*50-135 (or 60-250 if you really need a super long lens) for the ceremony. In my experience there isn't really enough time to get the shots you need and change lenses. Keep the Tamron handy for macro work on the bouquet, rings, etc.

If Canon is the primary, I'd rent a 17-50 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8 (or a sigma 50-150?) and run with the 21, the 70, and the 90 on the Pentax.

Yes you can overthink it, but you'll find you gravitate towards certain looks and focal lengths if you're honest with yourself. Bring what you need, bring a backup, and bring gear you don't have to think too hard about. Hence the zoom recommendations. I tried to shoot events and a wedding with just a 21/40/70 and 50-135. It worked, but replacing the 21/40 with a 20-40 made my life so much easier. The 50-135 is just superb.

Last edited by skierd; 08-19-2015 at 09:44 PM.
08-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't know how you guys used the DA 21 indoors. It's such a s-l-o-w lens. I always had problems with mine wide open indoors and being sharp enough to use. Outside shots on the other hand at F5.6 were impressive.
08-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I don't know how you guys used the DA 21 indoors. It's such a s-l-o-w lens. I always had problems with mine wide open indoors and being sharp enough to use. Outside shots on the other hand at F5.6 were impressive.
Actually I have not used 21mm indoors much, good point. Better try it before.

skierd,
I've been thinking about 50-135mm, but honestly don't want to spend money for renting, which will be about $150 for two lenses. That's the price of brand new flash for Canon.
Plus, I'm more prime lens user. Not intentionally, but I picked up a bad habit to use zooms like primes. I simply forget about zooming in-out and walk back-forward so often.
That's why two systems instead of one system with zoom wil be comfortable option.

As for honesty, yep, you are right. I want something familiar (not unknown rentals), and comfortable. Plus, I'm not a pro, and cover completely only rehearsal dinner and dressing. Plus, most likely the pro uses Canon, so I can share some Canon pics if she makes the album expecting that she will share some files with me for my own book.

08-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In that case, for dressing room run the 21 on the Pentax and the 40 on the Canon. I use my zooms at ends mostly too i.e. 20-40 mostly at 20 or 40 too and that's why I bought it honestly. I kept wanting the 40 for head and shoulder portraits when using the 21. Keep the 70 or 90 for the little bit of the ceremony that you shoot and mostly just don't, let the pro get it.

For the 21 indoors, don't be afraid of ISO 1600. Or 400 with a flash. There should be some light in the room there right? My copy was sharp enough for me wide open though. Lean on your sensor latitude too, you can under expose by a stop or two and usually pull it back up in Lightroom.
08-21-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
and mostly just don't, let the pro get it.
For the 21 indoors, don't be afraid of ISO 1600. Or 400 with a flash. There should be some light in the room there right? My copy was sharp enough for me wide open though. Lean on your sensor latitude too, you can under expose by a stop or two and usually pull it back up in Lightroom.
I definitely will talk with the pro before the ceremony, and with the bride as well to be on the same page because bride wants me to be involved as well.

K5IIs delivers good quality at ISO 1600 and even up, but I prefer 800-1000. Canon ISO800 is the highest I can accept without too much noise reduction.
I better buy the flash for Canon because one way or another I see that I may use it. The darkest room will be the restaurant for the rehearsal dinner, so it may be canon 40mm f2.8 or sigma 30mm f1.4 (need to test both for the final decision) and pentax 70mm ltd, 21mm ltd if it will be the space for 70mm inside.
I abandoned 40mm f2.8 STM a while ago shooting all the time with Pentax, and recently checked pictures in pdf; they look very good, but I want to see the final result when printed book will arrive soon. I underestimated that little plastic fantastic from Canon. As it has been mentioned here so many times, only printed pictures count

Thanks for the advice, I'm done with all thinking, now it's time to practice at home simulating wedding conditions.
Anyway, it should be fun, not stress.