Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro review

Tamron SP AF 70-200mm Di LD (IF) Macro Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

06-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the link. Hadn't seen that yet. Looks like a decent lens, especially considering that our options in that focal range and aperture speed are limited. A viable option for those who cannot find, or afford, the Sigma.
06-18-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
Forum Member

Does anyone know if there's a set release date for this? The best guess I have been able to find is August. Also, there's the Sigma version, which isn't available yet either, is it? Any information on that one?

Speaking of this Sigma, I know that there was an older version of this lens, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere. No one has it for sale . Does anyone know where I can find one? I've searched everywhere, including Ebay.
06-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ballgofar Quote
Does anyone know if there's a set release date for this? The best guess I have been able to find is August. Also, there's the Sigma version, which isn't available yet either, is it? Any information on that one?
August IS the best guess for both. Sigma would be HSM for Pentax while Tamron won't.
To really decide between them we need a test for both by the same guys. I wrote so to dpreview guys.
Preliminary thoughts:
1.Tamron seems difficult to beat as far as IQ goes but is really bad as autofocus speed is the thing you ask.
2.Sigma should be a charm in autofocus speed but (judging from the previews version) a little bit worse in IQ wide open.

06-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Speaking of this Sigma, I know that there was an older version of this lens, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere. No one has it for sale . Does anyone know where I can find one? I've searched everywhere, including Ebay.
It was discontinued for the HSM version which will be released "soon" (aka, don't hold your breath :-)
06-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the pre-DG version. Don't think I would ever sell it, even if I were offered twice what I paid for it. Shoot! Even if you offered me three times what I paid, I'd still turn you down. Yeah! It is that good! Only reason I'd part with my copy is if I had the opportunity to get the FA* version instead.

Keep looking. There are a few out there...from time to time...maybe.