Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Streaking in DA 55-300 bokeh

I often notice streaking in the out-of-focus areas in shots taken with my SMC DA 55-300. It is always very regular and goes from top left to bottom right. You can see it in the green foliage at upper left and just to the right of the kangaroo's head in this shot (f/8, iso 200, 1/500).

Does anyone else find this with their copy? Any idea what causes it?

08-22-2015, 03:45 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi. Are you using a UV or other filter? If so, try taking it off and compare the results. I found that several of my UV filters gave a very similar effect. FYI, I have settled on Hoya HMC UV filters now, as I've yet to have one bad one...

Beautiful shot, by the way!
08-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What a good thought! That hadn't occurred to me. I have a Promaster MC-UV filter on that lens. I'll try some shots without it today.

Thanks.
08-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll bet you a cold pint that's the culprit I drove myself nuts with the same problem - straight lines in the bokeh - consistent in direction. I tested every filter I own, and now have a filter "hall of shame" in my camera cupboard

---------- Post added 08-23-2015 at 12:42 AM ----------

I just found my original post from when I ran into the problem. Thought you might find it useful

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/295252-alwa...r-filters.html

08-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, that's it. Here's a shot sans filter:

and here it is with the Promaster MC-UV filter attached:

The out-of-focus foliage just to the left of centre shows clear streaks in the case with filter, but none at all without it.

I am very pleased to have that cleared up. Thanks BigMackCam!
08-23-2015, 12:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote

Throw it away, Paul ... it's a relic of the film era.

Your digital sensor has an anti UV layer built into it now.
08-23-2015, 12:38 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, that's it.
The out-of-focus foliage just to the left of centre shows clear streaks in the case with filter, but none at all without it.

You're very welcome As I mentioned, I now use Hoya HMC UV filters on all of my lenses (for physical protection and cleaning convenience), and so far haven't come across a bad one. I recommend them.
08-23-2015, 03:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, that's it. Here's a shot sans filter:

Along with loss of quality in the image. Filters, unless you are using for effect are a total waste, offer little in protection and lens cleaning using a blower is all that anyone should need in most conditions.

Just my thoughts.

Kevin

08-23-2015, 07:03 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
Along with loss of quality in the image. Filters, unless you are using for effect are a total waste, offer little in protection and lens cleaning using a blower is all that anyone should need in most conditions.

Just my thoughts.

Kevin
We photographers are polarised on filters, it seems (see what I did there? ). There are many times I've taken my camera to a windy, wet coastline and ended up with salty water, occasionally sand, on my UV filters. It's a whole lot easier, and less worrisome, for me to dust off sand and wipe off salt deposits from a filter than from the glass of a prized lens. Plus with the Hoya HMC UV(0) filters I'm now using, there are very, very few occasions where i've noticed any degradation in IQ (and I'm a dreadful pixel peeper! ). There's considerably more risk of flare, for sure - but I can remove the filters when required...

But, it's a personal preference, that's all...
08-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's a whole lot easier, and less worrisome, for me to dust off sand and wipe off salt deposits from a filter than from the glass of a prized lens.
Sure, just take it off before you touch the shutter release! :-)
08-26-2015, 12:28 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sure, just take it off before you touch the shutter release! :-)
Ha ha One of these days - for those that care - I'm going to post some "with filter" / "without filter" shots to see who, if anyone, can reliably identify which is which, and why...