Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You might also want to consider the Pentax DA15mm f/4 ASPH or the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6
If you had to pick between the 2...which one would you go with?

In your opinion...where does that pick shine above the other ?

Thanks for your time on this

09-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
If you had to pick between the 2...which one would you go with?
I had both the DA15mm f/4 and the Sigma 8-16mm - the DA15 wasn't as sharp as the super wide zoom was at 15mm in the corners. My DA15 was perfectly aligned copy, I only had to buy one. I had to go through several 8-16mm lenses to get one that was certified to be up to optical standards by the techs at Sigma.

Pentax K5IIS - Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6

Pentax K5IIS - Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6

Personally I think that the physical aspects of these two lenses are more important than optical considerations, The sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 is
a Big lens...this image really doesn't convey exactly how big it is.

If you answer "no" to any of these questions:
Is having a big lens, without filter threads, with a limited zoom range with (comparably) low flare resistance going to bother you? = Get the 8-16mm.

If you answer is "yes" to any of these questions:
If you want a compact, well built super wide, with a 49mm filter thread and extreme flare resistance? = Get the DA15.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-13-2015 at 09:06 AM.
09-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the second hand market.
That it's how I got mine last December. The marketplace here on the forum is a great source. Also the wanted section is great.
09-13-2015, 04:30 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sold off my DA15mm f/4 with a polariser and a set of ND filters ND4 to ND10 - It went to a good home. I had issues using the Lee filter holder on the DA15, it is rather heavy and with the solid glass Big stopper ND10 filter from Lee, which is a substantial chunk of glass, I felt was putting too much weight on the lens and could potentially damage the focus mechanism. So I opted for screw-in filters to take the weight off the front cell of the lens.

Also, the lens cap for the DA15 is annoying as hell, get a Nikon, or any other 49mm lens cap - it will be less frustrating to use.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-13-2015 at 04:36 PM.
09-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #50
Pentaxian

When reviewing options for wide angle earlier in the year I went through some of the same considerations - physical form was a big part of that.

Already had the 16-45 F4 and it is a biggish lens - not really easily carried about all day every day. Tried the FA 35-70 as a walk around but it wasn't wide enough on APSC.

Added two lenses - the DA 21 HD - for walk around - size was the factor here and the Sigma 8-16 for UWA as it has the angle of view I needed for interiors.

October 2014 I had a fork in the upgrade road from the K20 I was beginning to struggle with - was really tempted by the Sony RX1r for everyday carry but I needed something more versatile as I do a lot of PJ work in my job and a single 35mm lens wasn't going to manage as I had discovered when using the 35-70 as a walk around - so a K3 ( and the Prestige edition came out just at the right moment) with the two lenses mentioned has given me the versatility and the IQ needed for every day work use.

(Next purchase will be the Pentax sports zoom in first quarter 2016!)

So what works for you is the same old bottom line - and try stuff and move it on if it doesn't work.
09-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #51

Original Poster
Thanks everybody...was there anyone who tried the Sigma 15 2.8?

---------- Post added 09-14-15 at 10:23 AM ----------

I sold off my DA15mm f/4 with a polariser and a set of ND filters ND4 to ND10 - It went to a good home. I had issues using the Lee filter holder on the DA15, it is rather heavy and with the solid glass Big stopper ND10 filter from Lee, which is a substantial chunk of glass, I felt was putting too much weight on the lens and could potentially damage the focus mechanism. So I opted for screw-in filters to take the weight off the front cell of the lens.

Also, the lens cap for the DA15 is annoying as hell, get a Nikon, or any other 49mm lens cap - it will be less frustrating to use.
Digitalis....thanks for all the input. Ever try the Sigma 15mm 2.8?
09-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Superb shots in this thread, wow !

But why zooms ? Can't you get beautiful K/A primes with small focals at lower prices giving same results ? (the shorter I currently have is a Cosina K/A 24mm 2.8 but I just got it for nothing, for parts and fixed it 2 days ago so I don't know yet how nice it is, just know it gives great punchy colors, anyway it's not so wide as it is a FF lens)

09-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #53

Here's where I ended up. SMC 15 will have to wait until Christmas. I picked up a 8mm Rokinon, 10-20 Sig and 17-35 Sig to round off my Wide angle desires. Ended up pulling the trigger on a K3 instead of the 15.
09-18-2015, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you answer "no" to any of these questions:
Is having a big lens, without filter threads, with a limited zoom range with (comparably) low flare resistance going to bother you? = Get the 8-16mm.

If you answer is "yes" to any of these questions:
If you want a compact, well built super wide, with a 49mm filter thread and extreme flare resistance? = Get the DA15.
Which is why I recently sold my Sigma 8-16 (albeit with a tinge of regret), and will keep my DA15 for the foreseeable future.
09-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #55

Original Poster
So much to consider...any folks try the Tamron 10-24? That one has been around for a bit and with reasonable options on ebay. I was ready to do the Pentax 15, but the thought of going wider sometimes got me thinking of all the above mentioned.
09-20-2015, 08:39 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Tammy 10-24 generally is rated slightly below the older Sigma 10-20 wide open. I had both in hand for a few weeks and after a lengthy comparison I found the Tammy quite satisfactory from 10-18mm where I use it and its characteristic results matched my other Tamron lenses so that's the one I chose to keep for the personal outdoor use I have for that FL range. Either produced practical results that I couldn't find real difference with short of intentional comparison shooting.
09-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ronuser Quote
So much to consider...any folks try the Tamron 10-24? That one has been around for a bit and with reasonable options on ebay. I was ready to do the Pentax 15, but the thought of going wider sometimes got me thinking of all the above mentioned.
I have the older Sigma and it is fine except for a night shoot I did. I did not like the serious ghosting I got from it so I ended up using my Limited 31. I had to back away from the subject to get everything in the frame. I now know why the Limited lenses cost so much. The results with the 31 were flawless.

A friend of mine who is a long time Pentax shooter has the Tamron 10-24. He is very happy with it.

The only personal experience I have had with the Tamron 10-24 was at WPPI photo show about two years ago. The 10-24 was a Canon version and it was terrible. It was way too soft even at f8 and f11. I mentioned this to the staff at the Tamron booth and they kind of dissed me saying that it might be a bad copy. Duh, you go to a major trade show, you know people are coming to test your lenses and make a decision if they want to buy it and you bring a bad copy!!

BTW, I wanted to try the Pentax version of the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 at the same show for a possible purchase. The lens was completely useless. The autofocus mechanism made a terrible grinding noise and did not work. When I asked about the lens, it seemed like they did not care about any Pentax inquiries. I got the impression that Tamron booth staff's focus was completely Canon and Nikon.

I am really disappointed at Tamron's lack of interest in the K-mount lenses because I have owned the Canon versions of their 90 macro, the 24-70 VC and the 70-300 VC which were pro grade lenses... yes even the "consumer" 70-300 VC.
10-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
(Next purchase will be the Pentax sports zoom in first quarter 2016!)

Any idea what this lens will be ?

---------- Post added 10-12-15 at 12:02 PM ----------

Here's where I'm at with my quest.

I bought the Rokinon 6.5mm - loved it for the colors.... but hated the manual focus = Sold
Had the Sig 17-70 - Weird range ..great pics..= sold
Just bought the limited non - HD Pentax 15 - arrives Wed.
Just bought 10-17 Pentax FE - Arrives tomorrow.
I have the Tamron - 18-200 which I like for the 18...but dude to focus breathing.... it's probably more like a true 200 and doesn't get the benefit of the crop sense 1.5 dealio.
I also have the 18-55 and 50mm prime and a Tamron 70-200 F2.8.

Now the questions start:
I'm feeling like I need a bridge between the FE and Tamron - like a 16-85, 10-20 something like that....am I crazy? I have some trips planned that I want great IQ.

And I also need to replace my long lens that I just sold....... So... do I get an older 50-500 non OS and get a 16-85 and maybe a 55-300....

Or keep what I have and get a new 50-500 HSM or Pentax 150-450 ? ... or add a 1.4 or 2x Tc and just keep my Pentax. All input and suggestions appreciated.
10-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #59
Pentaxian

I went through what the OP was going through a few years ago. I had the 16-45, which btw is a very nice lens. I looked at the Sigma 10-20, Pentax 12-24 and yes the Pentax 10-17 FE.

I eventually bought two. The 12-24 and 10-17.

The 12-24 was rated as the best lens....in the supwer wide angle class. Pricey, but my pix with this lens are uniformly great. It's not me, it's the lens. My 10-17, I use primarily at 17, which gives it a wide angle shot, if I play around with shooting angles. It's also a wonderful lens. I know the OP is not interested in the 10-17 FE.

My vote, if you swing the asking price go for the Pentax 12-24.

I'm too late, I see.

See you made your decision. Enjoy your new lenses.
10-12-2015, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

The DA15ltd is a lens unique to Pentax.
Look beyond the paper comparisons, which only go so far to relate to the real world use of a lens.

Small, portable, flare resistant, well built, superb starburst, wide enough
All these, no online review is going to tout the merits of.

I bought a DA15ltd years ago, and gave up the Sigma 10-20 shortly and it has been my widest lens on the Pentax till now.

I actually returned to this location a year later with a Voigtlander 12mm on FF and it got me nowhere with the shot as it pushed out the Tokyo Tower too much. (so wider is not always better)

Any other lens would have faltered with the direct sun (for flare); Not all would have the nice starburst either.

Out of time and rushing up to the hill by foot to this site, thankful I was rather lowly encumbered with the DA15ltd.