Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 10:11 PM - 2 Likes   #61
Veteran Member

LOL so much fanboyism regarding infallibility of Pentax WR! To all you guys crucifying the OP and teaching him differences between WR and water proof my comment: I want to see your pi$$ed face when what happened with OP also happens to your Pentax WR gear. Pentax should certainly provide IP rating with their cameras rather than using warranty denying legal terms in their warranty statement. Someone should threaten to sue Pentax for even using such kind of language in their warranty statement.

08-27-2015, 10:50 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
HI again everyone. There have been a lot of questions about the conditions under which I was shooting. Here is a link to a quick YouTube video I took before the camera went completely south. Yes, it did get wetter than seen here, but that is when I stashed the camera under my poncho to protect it from the elements. I hope this answers some of your questions.
08-27-2015, 11:18 PM   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
I want to see your pi$$ed face when what happened with OP also happens to your Pentax WR gear.
If it happens, I will know why and it won't be Pentax's fault.

To be clear, I happen to agree that there should be a special place in Hell set aside for the folk in Pentax marketing. OTOH, my English skills are good enough to know that the words "weather resistant" or even "water resistant" mean in the real world. I live in a wet part of the country and don't expect to stay dry in garments advertised using either of those terms. To be honest, I don't expect my "waterproof" top-shelf GoreTex to keep me dry either if the rain is steady and my time out is prolonged. An umbrella is a better bet.

I expect no more from my camera.
Even the Nikonos (dive-rated film camera) came with extensive disclaimers regarding seals, seal maintenance, and the limits of Nikon's liability if moisture was found in the camera. The same is true for current product GoPro waterhousings. If the housing leaks, and the cam dies, GoPro voids the warranty.*

All that aside, what happened with the OP is sad indeed. There is no way he could predict conditions on the tour or how long it would take for the resistant seals on the camera or lens to start passing moisture. This much we do know...If the gear had been of the non-sealed variety (no brand names mentioned here) at similar price point, the kit would have been toast within a few minutes. It would be nice if there were sensors such that the camera and/or lens would go into emergency shutdown and power disconnect if moisture is present, but that is not the case.

Steve

* As an aside, I remember a white water rafting trip where one of the group packed his G-series Canon in a high-end Halliburton case. The case spent the first half of the day floating in six inches of water in the raft's stern. At lunch he pulled it out to take a few photos and was dismayed to find the case full of water and the camera ruined. I just felt sick for him. I wonder if Halliburton paid for his camera.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-28-2015 at 02:48 PM.
08-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #64
Veteran Member

OP probably had a defected seal somewhere because it shouldn't' leak through, at least from my experience. I used to own a K-5, a K-5 with DA* 16-50 attached. - It survived a thunderstorm without anything to cover it for about 45 minutes. Problem is you don't know if you have a failed seal to begin with. Only way to find out is to void warranty when you test it out in the rain and it fails. It's quite sad that this is what it is with our business corporate's society today, always finding loopholes to screw us over. But then again, there are consumers who will try to screw them over.

09-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello All. Because of all the questions in this thread surrounding the warranty, I wanted to let you know that Precision Camera tells me the repairs will be covered by the warranty. They are going to replace a relay, so the battery grip and camera can talk to each other. As for the larger issues during the trip, since the camera started working again after a few days of drying out, there wasn't really anything there to repair.
09-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #66
Forum Member

Awesome news. Glad it got sorted and hopefully you won't have any more related problems
09-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #67
bxf
Veteran Member

The timing of the following is a bit off, but...

There are watches sold for thousands of dollars, even tens of thousands, which are marketed as being water resistant to some depth, and have been shown to meet that spec in testing. However, it is very possible that if you buy such a watch, you will be informed by the dealer that yes, it is water resistant, but it's better not to put it to the test. Sounds to me like the Pentax WR concept is exactly the same, with one difference: the watches' water-resistance is not generally used as a marketing point.

The above does not apply to actual water proof watches.

09-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad they are taking care of it.

I have used Pentax gear with DA * lenses in pretty bad weather and never had issues. I don't shoot much in driving rain, but it feels like it can handle it better than I can. But if there is a seal that fails obviously electronics and water don't get along so well together.
09-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tcwilson Quote
Hello All. Because of all the questions in this thread surrounding the warranty, I wanted to let you know that Precision Camera tells me the repairs will be covered by the warranty. They are going to replace a relay, so the battery grip and camera can talk to each other. As for the larger issues during the trip, since the camera started working again after a few days of drying out, there wasn't really anything there to repair.
This is really good news for two reasons. First, and mainly, because TCWILSON got his camera repaired under warranty. But also it is a too rare but much needed indication that Precision can provide good service despite what so many of us have experienced.

The moral here is that the top Pentax equipment is indeed tough and resistant but it is not bullet proof. No one should ever rely on marketing material from any source for purchases of expensive items.

Of course the real culprit here is Heie with his wonderful Afghan shower stall videos.
(That was a joke. Heie has served us all very well in many ways, not the least with those videos)
09-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tcwilson Quote
TC, I would have been very quiet about this, but you've posted anyway.

Water damage is not covered ... see this gentleman's experience:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=14512479&pp=25&page=3

Precision may have decided to fix yours, telling their client Pentax a relay needed to be replaced but neglecting to say the cause, which is, well ... I won't call it what it is.
09-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #71

I love the back and forth, and understand that something like a grain of sand between the body and lens could spell disaster, but the fact is that the camera is in fact sealed. To the point you can run it under a tap.

Or take it out in a hurricane. Which my K-50 has done, with the WR kit lens no less. no water ingress even with lots of zoom and focusing.

In truth, most stories i find about Pentax weather sealing failing included a non sealed lens, or people forgetting to close a seal back up. Generally It's user error and not hardware failures.

still, It's unfortunate that this happened to you. If you're going to use your Camera in weather, even with the sealing, i suggest getting a third party warranty. My current warranty will cover both drop and water damage: I could tow it behind a boat Or drop it off a bridge and they'd cover it (Not that i would rush to do so.)

That said, these folk only cover new purchases, so that doesn't extend to My used gear. But still.
09-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mothballs Quote
If you're going to use your Camera in weather, even with the sealing, i suggest getting a third party warranty.
Good suggestion, MB!
09-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #73
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're going to use your Camera in weather, even with the sealing, i suggest getting a third party warranty.
Now there is an idea!

Steve
09-22-2015, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #74
bxf
Veteran Member

Otherwise, make sure there is no weather at all while using your camera
09-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Otherwise, make sure there is no weather at all while using your camera
That would require a lack of atmosphere.