Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
black stretchy hairbands work really well for this purpose, you can get 'em anywhere and they are dirt cheap.
Good idea - and they should fit a wider range of barrel diameters as they stretch more...

08-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Also good to get ghost lamps in your pictures
Yup, that's what I get sometimes!

I like the term "ghost lamps".
02-10-2016, 12:00 AM   #18

light leak

I use a squere O rings from kithen sink trap spares which is 36 mm inner and 44 mm outer diameter for Helios , Mir and other lenses, who have narrow flange.Its sit werry tight, and when I turn on adapter, I leave about 1 mm till end, then push the O ring to adapter and using cap turn adapter till the end, Spring from adapter is removed, but the lens fix so tight, that even with old hard greasing dont come out from bayonet

Last edited by Raimondas; 02-10-2016 at 01:19 PM. Reason: mistakes
02-10-2016, 03:04 AM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raimondas Quote
I use a squere O rings from kithen sink spares which is 36 mm inner and 44 mm outer diameter for Helios , Mir and other lenses, who have narrow flange.Its sit werry tight, and when I turn on adarter, I leave about 1 mm till end, then push the O ring to adapter and using cap turn adapter till the end, Spring from adapter is removed, but the lens fix so tight, that even with old hard greasing dont come out bayonet
Link is not in english, but all off us undestand pictures
?viesos patekimo pro M 42 -PK adapter? panaikinimas kartu pagerinant ?iedo fiksacij?
Excellent. I think this is even better than my O-ring idea!

02-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raimondas Quote
squere O rings from kithen sink spares
Anyone found a supplier (UK)?
02-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Or an online distributor. Are there some equivalents on ebay?
02-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Or an online distributor. Are there some equivalents on ebay?
Aren't we just talking about rubber o-rings/washers/gaskets? Surely you can find them at practically any hardware store or similar?

02-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Aren't we just talking about rubber o-rings/washers/gaskets? Surely you can find them at practically any hardware store or similar?
Yes, it is simple botle or s-trap for 40mm pipe spare parts. You can ask manager in plumbing shop for them.They are 44 mm outer 36 mm inner diameter and 4mm thick. Triangle may fit too. It is Split Joint rubber Washer

Last edited by Raimondas; 02-10-2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: more information
02-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #24
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What makes me smile is a few of the posters on the 44-2 lens reviews obviously are having problems with these leaks without realizing it - yet they still rate the lens highly!!
02-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
What makes me smile is a few of the posters on the 44-2 lens reviews obviously are having problems with these leaks without realizing it - yet they still rate the lens highly!!
I believe it's called Lomography
04-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I've been keeping an eye out for that pack of 5 washers for 99p that I believe is out there - but no luck, not even on evilbay. Finally plonked down £2.38 for this little bubble pack of two at my local builders merchants (funnily enough the plumbing supplies next door had zilch). Does the job - needed a little trimming with scissors. On my silver helios 44 (that's an M39-M42 adapter btw).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G1  Photo 

Last edited by marcusBMG; 04-14-2016 at 03:58 PM.
04-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice. They look even better than the o-rings I use!
08-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had an Industar for a season and never noticed this issue. Just got my first Helios and right away was noticing the light leak issue, but didn't know what it was... I think maybe noticed right away because I first set the aperture to F2 thinking it was actually F2, because I didn't know that oddly enough F2 on a Helios is actually F16.... So my first test shot that was unintentionally done at F16 had some very defined light leaks streaking across my image. Clean glass.. No oil.. What the heck!?

I emailed OzzRod about this (he had referred me to a specific ebay seller and has a handful of these Helios lenses) and he suggested to check inside for any missing black coating... I did find a little bit missing near the back element, so for half the day today thought that this was the problem and was considering returning the lens...

Then Rod emailed again that he'd just noticed the exposed adapter holes when looking at one of his Helios and it occured to him as a possible culprit and the light finally leaked into my brain too!

So my first test was just with some gorilla tape covering the holes which right away proved light leaks to be the problem (this is all on my K1 by the way). Specifically, I found that the exposed hole nearest the shutter button causes the leaks for me. The one on the other side I could not get to produce visible leaks (with just that hole open and other still taped over...)

Rod also mentioned that some are using o-rings that he read about on the forum, so I assume he was referring to this thread...Thought I might stop by a hardware store at some point but in the mean time was sitting here thinking about alternatives and it occured to me to try using a hair tie. It seems to work just fine, though a bit tedious to get into place.

Added a second one for good measure but it really does't seem necessary...

Just thought I'd mention all this for others who might go through this little adventure...
08-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Rod also mentioned that some are using o-rings that he read about on the forum, so I assume he was referring to this thread...Thought I might stop by a hardware store at some point but in the mean time was sitting here thinking about alternatives and it occured to me to try using a hair tie. It seems to work just fine, though a bit tedious to get into place.

Whatever works, but I'd prefer a solution I didn't have to put in place every time, and I also try to avoid things that might shed tiny fibers into the mirror box and get on the sensor...
08-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Whatever works, but I'd prefer a solution I didn't have to put in place every time, and I also try to avoid things that might shed tiny fibers into the mirror box and get on the sensor...
Seems like for that there'd just need to be another type of adapter design than what's currently available out there (at least from what I saw the last time I was buying adapters last month)... Good point about tiny fibers too so might still get a plastic ring... When I saw my pics above I realized that I need to make sure to clean the tie and blow the dust off around the mount too...