Veteran Member

Nice! I'm excited to see your pictures!

Looks awesome!

12-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
WOW!! Now I'm excited as well.... Looks great. Keep the pics coming as you explore your new toy. I'm still not 100% sure which way to go between the DA 560 and the Sigma 500 but I'm starting to lean a little toward the DA 560. Another $4,000 sale may tip me to the 560. ;-)

Bet you're up earlier than usual cause you can't sleep because you want to play with the new lens......
Thanks for your enthusiasm, @woodywesty. It's a tough decision between the two lenses, but a fun predicament to have.

Wish I had time before the weekend to play, but I do have to pay for this thing . The weather has been so awful here, anyway. Hoping next week will bring some sunny days.

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 09:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JML69 Quote
My checkbook just ran out of my office screaming something about no way in H$ll can you afford that lens right now....Shows how much he knows, he forgot to take the debit card......

Congratulations to KiloHotelphoto, Kameko and Kath on the new lens, it's on my list for 2016.
Good one, @JML69! My checkbook did the same thing and did take the debit card. But it forgot to hide the password to the Paypal account.

Thanks for the congrats. I'll look forward to hearing of your adventures next year.

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 09:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Nice! I'm excited to see your pictures!

Looks awesome!
Thanks, @bertwert! I have to say, it feels pretty awesome. Though the lens is light compared to other super-longs, it's pretty hefty and you can feel the quality when you handle it. I'm exceptionally careful with all of my gear, but I'm hoping to get past the sense that I have to handle this with kid gloves and get out there and really use it to its full potential. Hoping the weather will cooperate soon!
12-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #93
Veteran Member

I have a question that I haven't put much thought into, but happen to come across a thread I had saved. Is the 560 collapsible as speculated before its release?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/197377-pentax-da-56...e-i-think.html
12-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
So, I've scraped up every last dime, read every last review/posting/article, sold my first-born, and am ready to get a super long prime. I would like to hear from 560 and 500 users why you made your choice and the pros and cons involved.

I already have a Sigma 150-500 and want to move forward to prime sharpness and improved image quality. My primary focus is wildlife, particularly birds and, more particularly, river and shore creatures. I always use a tripod or other stable support (car doors, etc). I've narrowed my choices down to the 560 or 500 and am having a devil of a time finding good reasons to choose one or the other, though I am sure both are terrific lenses and am unlikely to go wrong with either.

Users of these lenses, can you help me choose with the benefit of your experience?
Hi Kath, you really need to have a look at as many reviews on the net as possible and use those in making your decision. I'm sorry to say I don't have any experience with either of these telephoto primes, though if I had the money I'd buy one of the old Takumar 500s!

12-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #95

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
Living in Washington state (and I see you are in Portland), I am frequently shooting in wet weather. Having a chunk of snow fall from a bough and land on my 150-500 while shooting owls one day
Would love to know where I could get some pics of owls I'm in Washington as well

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 05:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Bigma 500 able to used with the Pentax 1.4x HD PENTAX-DA AF Rear Converter. I know someone is currently using it.
Does auto focus work for your friend? My Bigma with a Sigma T/C does not work
12-09-2015, 06:57 PM - 3 Likes   #96
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I have a question that I haven't put much thought into, but happen to come across a thread I had saved. Is the 560 collapsible as speculated before its release?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/197377-pentax-da-56...e-i-think.html
Unfortunately, no. Thank goodness, the hood is collapsible, but that's it. Would have been nice if they could have found a way to do it. Here are some pics and measures:

Fully extended:

Collapsed hood:

12-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Glad to see yours finally arrived. Hopefully you get some decent weather soon to go play.

12-09-2015, 09:14 PM   #98
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Glad to see yours finally arrived. Hopefully you get some decent weather soon to go play.
Yes, I hope so, too. Hope you've found some time to experiment as well!
12-10-2015, 12:29 AM   #99

QuoteOriginally posted by carlwood Quote
Hi Kath, you really need to have a look at as many reviews on the net as possible and use those in making your decision. I'm sorry to say I don't have any experience with either of these telephoto primes, though if I had the money I'd buy one of the old Takumar 500s!
I don't agree. I have had my 560 for 1 1/2 year, and it performs perfect. Så i am very happy.

I have postet a few pictures in the forum. Take a look :-)
12-10-2015, 12:34 AM - 2 Likes   #100

Kath - you should buy a lens coat for your new lens. Lenscoat has a sample and it fits perfect.

I have not donated to this website - so i can,t upload so many pictures. Are you guys active at the facebook? It would be great to see your pictures with the new lens. Here is a little sample
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-10-2015, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carlwood Quote
Although the optics are rather simple, and it is not a true telephoto, (telephoto means the lens effective focal length is longer than the physical length) just an optically corrected prime lens, it's major advantages over the old tak 500 are...
Coatings
Better CA control
Min focusing distance of 18 feet against 50 feet
Weather sealing
Auto focus, auto aperture auto everything........

The two lenses are really a different class.

I have played with old long lenses, and am looking for a new sharper lens also and am in the same boat as the OP. Either the sigma 500 or the DA 560.
12-10-2015, 07:01 AM   #102
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by naestved Quote
Kath - you should buy a lens coat for your new lens. Lenscoat has a sample and it fits perfect.

I have not donated to this website - so i can,t upload so many pictures. Are you guys active at the facebook? It would be great to see your pictures with the new lens. Here is a little sample
Hi Ole. I'm so glad you're enjoying your 560. And your photos are fabulous! I'm so looking forward to getting out with my new lens.

Regarding the Lenscoat: I've been wondering whether I should get one. Seems like a good idea to protect the finish, but I wondered if it would trap moisture or have any down side. Can you share your experience with it?

P.S.: there's a lens club here for the 560. It would be wonderful to see more of your beautiful shots posted there. For just a few dollars a year, you can increase your upload capacity significantly:

DA560 Lens Club - Let's See Some Photos

I do post on the Facebook page as well, but I find the Pentax Forums to be more helpful and informed for the kind of work I like to do.
12-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Hi Ole. I'm so glad you're enjoying your 560. And your photos are fabulous! I'm so looking forward to getting out with my new lens.

Regarding the Lenscoat: I've been wondering whether I should get one. Seems like a good idea to protect the finish, but I wondered if it would trap moisture or have any down side. Can you share your experience with it?

P.S.: there's a lens club here for the 560. It would be wonderful to see more of your beautiful shots posted there. For just a few dollars a year, you can increase your upload capacity significantly:

DA560 Lens Club - Let's See Some Photos

I do post on the Facebook page as well, but I find the Pentax Forums to be more helpful and informed for the kind of work I like to do.
Don't hesitate regarding the lens coat. It is a series of wide rings that fit on each section, no trapping moisture.

There are a couple british outfits that make a similar product that i have found to be better made. Wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk, and another one.OUTDOOR PHOTOGRAPHY GEAR | Wildlife watching | Equipment and supplies

I also use a loose cover which makes the long lens less obtrusive. Camomac, made by some people in scotland. It makes the gear look uninteresting, and diverts attention.
12-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #104
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info and links, @derekkite. I'll look into those. Glad to hear their use won't cause problems. Sure would hate to get a chip in that nice finish!

How are things going with your lens? Enjoying it, I hope.
12-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #105
Forum Member

Wow! What a beautiful beast! Is that a 2 person job carrying that around? Can you carry it on the gimbal or do you carry the camera and lens and then tripod separately?