Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jinnax Quote
I do believe this is my first post, so hello!

I've got an opportunity to get a Pentax-K 55mm F1.8 or a Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 - but I can't get both without buying a whole film package of legacy stuff that would be mostly dupes of my existing equipment.

I just got back into more serious photography via my new K-50 and a couple of survivors from my 35mm SLR days. My 50mm Pentax-M F2 seems quite nice as it is, but the forum here suggests one of the best 50s of them all was the Pentax-A F1.7. However, the reviews of the older Pentax-K 55mm F1.8 suggest it is also a very nice & sharp lens. I've read the -A's were largely well built, but perhaps not as well as the -M's or -K's. I haven't seen that there's any kind of pecking order, as in -M > -A > -K etc ... is there a decided difference? It seems the 50mm 1.7 A's are more common than the 55mm K is, but I haven't been around here long enough to find out.

Old hands, please feel free to point out the obvious to me.

And hi again!
In terms of image quality you'll get very similar results. IMO A lenses are much more convenient for use on DSLRs thank M or K lenses, since you don't have to stop-down meter and you get aperture info in your EXIF data, just like with the latest DA lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I have Both....so to make this easier for You ????....lol. The advice will rage on for years which is better with NO clear cut answer. If you want ease of use and full automation (to a degree) get the A. If You like a better build and are used to shooting manual....get the K. I personally believe the 55mm 1.8 has a tad better rendering and a hair sharper.....Maybe.....YMMV. I know this probably DIDNT help but that's just the way it is trying to call one out over the other on this one........ They are BOTH great !
08-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The K lenses are built like tanks and will outlast anyone on this forum.
Having said that, I personally would trade the build quality for the added convenience of having all the benefits of automated metering.

Now, if you were talking about a K28 f2.0, then that is a different story
08-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote

Basically a Zeiss Distagon ... [drool].

08-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I had one for a while, and stupidly sold it :'(
My biggest camera related regret by far
08-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I have an A 70-210mm f4 lense and it takes very nice pictures, especially compared to the DA50-200
I saw that in the reviews but 680g + camera is a lot of weight around the neck without a separate carry-case of some kind. I managed to live with a 900g Makinon in the 80s, argh decisions decisions.

Exactly which lenses he has was a slow, unfolding process. I kept asking for pics of the fronts of the lenses, and he kept sending phone-camera blurry shots of the tops instead. I *deduced* the K-55 from what I could see of the aperture ring - I thought it was an -M at first. I was hoping hoping hoping that one of the lenses would be a A or M and 35mm focal length or lower. What I don't get is why this person would have 50 and 55mm primes and two zooms that also overlap each other in focal length. The seller seems to know nothing about cameras; I hope it's not stolen stuff, always a concern with used.

I think once I sort out pic hosting I'll post comparative shots in this thread of the K 55mm F1.8 against those of my lowly M-50mm F2 - my copy of the 50mm M seems to get very sharp at F2.8.
08-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #22
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

agreed - it's a heavy mother.... at least, I thought so until the SMC 300mm f4 arrived yesterday....

08-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

had one for a while, and stupidly sold it :'( My biggest camera related regret by far
I did the same thing. I had an M 28 F 2.8 and liked it for the compact size and weight. Didn't know better way back then so I sold the much larger K 28 F2. Live and learn. At least I got a fair price for it.
08-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #24
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Get a SuperTak 50mm f1.4 w/a m42 adapter. I have several - I just love the build quality and feel of the focusing ring. - I gave my A50 1.7 to my son with my K7 when I got my K3 - no wait, it's still on the shelf - I gave one of my A50 f1.4 lenses to my son.

The last several posts mentioned the K28 F2. I picked one up a few months ago, and I've taken a few pictures with it. The pictures I've taken just don't just out at me as anything special. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something special to look for to make me appreciate it more - so I don't sell to one of you guys??
08-27-2015, 06:29 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PKMike Quote
I did the same thing.

A war crime, PKM ... off to The Hague with you!
08-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
agreed - it's a heavy mother.... at least, I thought so until the SMC 300mm f4 arrived yesterday....
I *still* have the 900g Makinon, mostly because I don't know what to do with it. I tested it on the new K-50 - blurry at everything but F11 and CA's in every high-contrast situation.
In mint condition, of course....
08-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I have Both...
Same here, though my go-to fast 50 wavers between the M 50/1.7, DA 50/1.8, and (blush) KMZ Helios 44M 58/2. My A 50/1.7 stays on the Super Program film SLR.

Steve
08-27-2015, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A war crime, PKM ... off to The Hague with you!

Yes. Shackle me now!
08-28-2015, 03:56 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PKMike Quote
Yes. Shackle me now!
Briar patch tactics?
QuoteOriginally posted by Jinnax Quote
. What I don't get is why this person would have 50 and 55mm primes and two zooms that also overlap each other in focal length. The seller seems to know nothing about cameras; I hope it's not stolen stuff, always a concern with used.
I suspect the reason for the two 50mm-ish primes and the overlapping zooms is because one of each is an A lens and you gain significant functionality with that one on later film bodies and digital. That feature alone would justify it to some people. I seriously hope your worse fears are groundless.
08-28-2015, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter

Oh, you mean "the wide-angle that masquerades as a telephoto" -