Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2015, 06:28 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Also, I recommend the Circle Line Boat tour around Manhattan Island to everyone who visits NYC. You get to see almost everything from the boat, without having to take subways and taxis all over, in about 3 hours. You get to see places you might not want to spend time on otherwise.
Thanks, it's a great cruise as well. Do you think we need zoom for that,or is it more about panorama from the boat?

Yep, we also plan visit central park, and maybe other parks, the plan is pretty much wherever we want to go.

As for file corruption while swapping cards, it's better be safe than sorry. I asked the friend of mine if she will use 55-250mm, most likely she will.
So, I'm taking my sigma. Just in case to cover more FL. As for weight, it's almost the same as Tamron 90mm. Tamron stays home.

No card swapping, and everything fits for Pentax as well: 21mm, 70mm, F35-70mm, Sigma 70-300mm, and flash. I also packed two fabric bags for walking with cameras with different setups, one with own insert, and another with "luggage" lowepro nova sport 17L bag insert (it fits in walk around bag perfectly), and it weights nothing in my carry on.

And, thanks to Adorama crazy bag sales , I will not carry the travel bag on my shoulder. Everything fits in lowepro 17L AW bag

Attached Images

09-01-2015, 06:38 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One zoom lens is enough, believe me. For low light photography you may want to carry a pocketable fast prime 35 or 50mm.
09-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
21 & 70 will do fine.
limitation sometimes is a good thing
my 2 cents
& likely you'll do a lot of hiking. no need to bring a lot of weight.
This.

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
I also recommend you take the DA21 and DA70, and while you're in NYC, stop by B&H and buy a DA40 (used as low as $230). You will have all you need and still have space in your pockets. In the rare situation that you would want a telephoto, you can get by with cropping.
This is even better LOL.

Seriously, the only times you'll wish that you had something longer is to get the Statue of Liberty from the boat and maybe a long shot down one of the avenues. Otherwise, there's plenty of eye candy that the 21 and 70 (and 40) will cover fine.

Some good photo opps to consider:
  • High Line - go early morning before the crowds take over
  • Walk over Brooklyn Bridge
  • Staten Island Ferry is free

Enjoy!
09-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the Canon a 1.6 crop or FF?

09-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
One zoom lens is enough, believe me..
One for each would be just fine. Seriously, I can't take my canon back to shot if we both need long zoom. It was bad idea really.

---------- Post added 09-01-15 at 07:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is the Canon a 1.6 crop or FF?
cropped, and it's little SL1 which is ideal for light setup, and she can't carry heavy cameras. She has only cellphone for now, but knows and loves canon. Actually, she is more skilled photographer than I, but has not used canon for years. I think it will be fun for her.

---------- Post added 09-01-15 at 07:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
  • High Line - go early morning before the crowds take over
  • Walk over Brooklyn Bridge
  • Staten Island Ferry is free

Enjoy!
Thans for the High Line, looks interesting!
As for other two, it's in the plan. Most likely we opt out Staten for Liberty Island.

---------- Post added 09-01-15 at 07:17 AM ----------

Nope, I'm not going to buy anything in BH or Adorama, but definitely will get lost there to search what I really need to order online with tax free and free shipping when I come back home. Visiting them feels like I'm a little girl going to a candy store. I can see so much in person!!! Lots of Pentax-ssss, flashes, tripods, lenses... you name it. Everything!
Feels just like heaven

Last edited by micromacro; 09-01-2015 at 07:22 AM.
09-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
So, I'm taking my sigma. Just in case to cover more FL.
No card swapping, and everything fits for Pentax as well: 21mm, 70mm, F35-70mm, Sigma 70-300mm, and flash.
What's the 35-70's purpose here? Fill in between 21 and 70? Do you really need the 70 with two other lenses covering that focal length? Don't get me wrong, I love my 70, but I think you have it covered with the other lenses.
09-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Depends on how you visualize and use a 'long zoom'.

If you only see it as a telescope probably not. If you understand that a long FL lens can be effectively used to isolate a subject in a busy environment -- well, maybe.

Using a long FL lens as a macro/close-up lens with its different DoF and perspective can stretch the imagination a bit but it can also be a very effective tool. IME, many older tele lenses in the 135-200mm range seem to be optimized for either telescopic or close-up/portrait use - especially when used near wide open.

The test? How do you use your current mid-to-long lenses?
09-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Using a long FL lens as a macro/close-up lens with its different DoF and perspective can stretch the imagination a bit but it can also be a very effective tool. IME, many older tele lenses in the 135-200mm range seem to be optimized for either telescopic or close-up/portrait use - especially when used near wide open.
The test? How do you use your current mid-to-long lenses?
I sold my old lenses around 200mm thinking I don't need them. I'm not sure I need sigma all to 300mm, but at least for 200mm. I can take old manual M75-150mm f4, it's a great lens, but I tried to avoid taking manual lenses for the trip.
I use sigma 70-300mm for birding (and canon 55-250 for birding as well), 70mm ltd for portraits, and it's also great landscape lens for parks, it blends the background beautifully.
I guess it would be useful to take closer pics of Statue of Liberty. I plan long zoom, if I need it, mostly for that one trip.

---------- Post added 09-01-15 at 08:25 AM ----------

What's the 35-70's purpose here? Fill in between 21 and 70? Do you really need the 70 with two other lenses covering that focal length? .
The purpose is to find out if I can avoid lens change for that FL. Yes, 21mm and 70mm seems as a great combo, but what if the weather is not really good some day, or the purpose of trip to go really light with covered FL by one lens. It does not take much space and it's not heavy, why not to grab it just in case?

09-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sold my old lenses around 200mm thinking I don't need them. I'm not sure I need sigma all to 300mm, but at least for 200mm. I can take old manual M75-150mm f4, it's a great lens, but I tried to avoid taking manual lenses for the trip.
I use sigma 70-300mm for birding (and canon 55-250 for birding as well), 70mm ltd for portraits, and it's also great landscape lens for parks, it blends the background beautifully.
I guess it would be useful to take closer pics of Statue of Liberty. I plan long zoom, if I need it, mostly for that one trip.

---------- Post added 09-01-15 at 08:25 AM ----------

The purpose is to find out if I can avoid lens change for that FL. Yes, 21mm and 70mm seems as a great combo, but what if the weather is not really good some day, or the purpose of trip to go really light with covered FL by one lens. It does not take much space and it's not heavy, why not to grab it just in case?
That's reasonable enough. I'm not sure I would bother bringing the 70 myself at that point unless you have some specific shots in mind for it.
09-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #25
klh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know if this is helpful, but if you are taking the ferry to Liberty Island, you probably won't need the extra reach. I did it a few weeks ago with only my 28-75 and got great pics. Just stay on the right hand side of the ferry as you near the island and it will take you all the way around for some great angles.

Tamron 28-75 at 63mm, f/8

Last edited by klh; 09-01-2015 at 08:57 AM.
09-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Last year I did a weekend NYC photo expedition with Ira Block. I might have overdone it a bit by taking lenses ranging from 8mm to 210mm - as well as a Q for inconspicuous situations - but all focal lengths and the Q came in handy. The longer lengths were especially helpful for groups of people in parks from a distance. I used the Kinesis belt system - which gets very little use, but is great to have when necessary.

We happened to have great timing, as home base was near the 911 Memorial Park, and the expedition happened right at the time of its full opening, so that was an eventful opportunity. If I were to make any single lens as the most essential, it would have been my 14mm (EXIF indicates 12mm - as the SR skips from 12mm to 15mm on the MF lenses). Obviously, wide to normal are going to be your main needs, but the long end came in useful for good shots a few times. Be sure to have at least one WR lens - rain is a near certainty if you're in NYC for a few days or more.

New York City Expedition - James Robins - Powered by Phanfare

I certainly don't mix SD cards among brands. In fact, my cards are pretty well dedicated for use to a particular camera (they may get switched to another camera at some point, but the intent is to never randomly rotate). Especially when traveling, I think the potential to forget about formatting in camera at the right time, and so often in a hurry regarding downloads, etc., the potential for a failure is much greater. Cards are cheap, but the potential for losing a great photo is just not worth the risk. I haven't had a CF or SD card fail (I hesitate to mention this).
09-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plenty of shops in town for you to grab a 100/2.8 or 135/3.5 to give you a tiny tele

I believe I've had my first Lexar breakdown recently after using them for 15 years - but I replaced it with another Lexar in my bag and all is well. They have to fail more than once before I dump 'em since I have so many..
09-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm not sure I would bother bringing the 70 myself at that point unless you have some specific shots in mind for it.
Yes, for the portraits "session" while we all meet one night only. 70mm ltd and flash must have for that night.

---------- Post added 09-01-15 at 09:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
I did it a few weeks ago with only my 28-75 and got great pics. Just stay on the right hand side of the ferry as you near the island and it will take you all the way around for some great angles.Tamron 28-75 at 63mm, f/8
That's great full size, and I will try to shot similar. However, we also are going to stop there, some will go to the crown, some will try to shot those in the crown. I doubt 300mm will be enough, more like Bigma is needed

---------- Post added 09-01-15 at 09:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Yep, for the next city trip I better get 10-20mm FL. Cool journey!
09-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I think pack lightly and skip the telephoto. 70mm will get you close enough to the Statue of Liberty if you take the Staten Island ferry or Circle Line tour. Or, even if you just shoot from Battery Park at the southern tip of Manhattan, try a view of the Statue with boats in the foreground, or you can crop when you get home.

The 21 and 70 (or 35-70) offer options for cityscapes while walking the Brooklyn Bridge or riding a boat. I suspect the 21 is the only one you'll use within the confines of Manhattan.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
...Walk over Brooklyn Bridge...
Please walk in a straight line on the pedestrian side, not the crazy tourist meander in and out of the bicycle lane
09-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think people are paranoid. SD Cards are FAT32 formatted. There is no reason it needs to be done in a specific camera. I regularly mix and match without problems. Early as cards and camera may be different.