Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2015, 01:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

The SDM was re-designed in the 16-50 a couple of years back, so the SDM issue is solved. No need to worry. The 16-50 had a complicated AF design since it used double AF systems, and the earlier SDM was to weak but it's fixed now. SDM-only lenses such as the DA Star 55 or 17-70 had much fewer problems. Pentax latest lenses are using DC-motors, but we don't know if Pentax will release a new SDM lens in the future or not. Any motor in the lens can have a failure, SDM or DC or HSM or whatever, such things can happen and it does, even on Sigma, but it is rare.

09-02-2015, 03:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The SDM was re-designed in the 16-50 a couple of years back, so the SDM issue is solved.
Was that ever actually confirmed? Did Pentax even ever acknowledge a problem with the SDM? My recollection is that they never admitted the SDM was problematic, and the SDM re-design was just speculation.

Either way, I always appreciated that Sigma stands behind their lenses for 3-4 years, instead of just one year.
09-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Was that ever actually confirmed? Did Pentax even ever acknowledge a problem with the SDM? My recollection is that they never admitted the SDM was problematic, and the SDM re-design was just speculation.
Pentax official stated the SDM was redesigned (maybe January 2012??) They never stated there was a problem, only that lenses made after that date (again I think January 2012 but I'm not positive) had a redesigned motor.

---------- Post added 09-02-15 at 12:45 PM ----------

Either way, I always appreciated that Sigma stands behind their lenses for 3-4 years, instead of just one year.
And I agree with that 100%. You pay more for OEM lenses with the assumption that they are in some way "better" but then the OEM apparently does not believe in them enough to back them with a good warranty. I think Pentax should offer a solid 5 year warranty, at least on Limited and '*' glass.
09-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Pentax official stated the SDM was redesigned (maybe January 2012??) They never stated there was a problem, only that lenses made after that date (again I think January 2012 but I'm not positive) had a redesigned motor.
That's good to know. Anybody have a link to the source of that information?

09-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #20
Pentaxian

That's good to know. Anybody have a link to the source of that information?
Check out this Q&A:
Pentax Engineer on SDM Failure and Pentax DC - Photokina 2012 | PentaxForums.com
09-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Thanks! I feel bad for everyone who had to pay for repairs out of their own pockets, but hopefully the SDM fiasco is in the past now.
09-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #22

Original Poster
That is good to know, it takes most of the worry away from the SDM issue, one would just need to make sure of the build date. But, compared to the Sigma 17-50, it still looks to be optically inferior. The reviews of the Pentax 16-50 seem to agree the edges and corners are much softer and it is not as sharp wide open. Maybe its picking nits, but for the price, it should be the other way around, shouldn't it?

09-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nonstopnick Quote
it should be the other way around, shouldn't it?
Maybe, but I find it plenty sharp stopped down a little (wide end I generally want the depth of field anyway). Living in the Pacific NW, weather-sealing overrode other concerns.