Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #1

Next lens purchase help

I have a K50 and a sigma 50150 HSM that I love, very sharp and fast. I will be selling my Pentax 18 135 and looking to replace it on the wider end. I've been looking at the Sigma 1750, I've seen lots of photos and read lots of reviews, it seems like a very safe choice, and if it was weather sealed I would already have it.
I have also been looking at the new 1685 mainly due to its whether sealing. It is also quite sharp even wide open, or so it seems, but I would like something a bit faster. I would like a lens I can use to shoot in an enclosed area without the need for a flash that is fairly wide AND I would like a weather sealed walk around option. Maybe this means a two lens solution, I would love to hear any advice from the form.

09-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a tamron 17-50 f2.8 and love it. It is. Very sharp and great in low light situations it is one of my most used lenses. I have heard that the sigma one is sharper though.
09-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why not the Pentax DA* 16-50 since it is weather sealed and constant f/2.8?
09-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax DA*16-50 is what fits your list.

09-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nonstopnick Quote
I have a K50 and a sigma 50150 HSM that I love, very sharp and fast. I will be selling my Pentax 18 135 and looking to replace it on the wider end. I've been looking at the Sigma 1750, I've seen lots of photos and read lots of reviews, it seems like a very safe choice, and if it was weather sealed I would already have it.
I have also been looking at the new 1685 mainly due to its whether sealing. It is also quite sharp even wide open, or so it seems, but I would like something a bit faster. I would like a lens I can use to shoot in an enclosed area without the need for a flash that is fairly wide AND I would like a weather sealed walk around option. Maybe this means a two lens solution, I would love to hear any advice from the form.
I picked up the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 for wedding shooting and it really is a sharp, versatile lens. I'm not the hugest fan of its rendering, but I feel that way about a lot of zooms. I think its really the best option in the category. The 16-85 fills a different gap -- the WR walkaround. For when you don't need the speed of a wide aperture, but the same sharpness, more zoom range and WR.
09-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Why not the Pentax DA* 16-50 since it is weather sealed and constant f/2.8?
It does fit the bill on paper, but the SDM issues make it a non starter for me - even Pentax is abandoning the technology. I also think the Sigma gives better results than the Pentax and it is also quite a bit more expensive (although less than the two lens solution).

---------- Post added 09-01-15 at 03:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I picked up the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 for wedding shooting and it really is a sharp, versatile lens. I'm not the hugest fan of its rendering, but I feel that way about a lot of zooms. I think its really the best option in the category. The 16-85 fills a different gap -- the WR walkaround. For when you don't need the speed of a wide aperture, but the same sharpness, more zoom range and WR.
What about the rendering don't you like? Maybe post an example if you have one?
09-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does fit the bill on paper, but the SDM issues make it a non starter for me - even Pentax is abandoning the technology. I also think the Sigma gives better results than the Pentax and it is also quite a bit more expensive (although less than the two lens solution).
But it is not WR which was on your list. SDM is not an issue any longer, though I agree Pentax is leaving it but I believe because of speed not reliability. SDM failure reports are quite rare these days. And I think you would be surprised at current used costs, I've seen several go for well under $500. Regardless if you want fast and WR in that range the 16-50 is your only option.

I've used the 16-50 for years and been quite happy with it. I recently moved to the 16-85 and find (except for the slow aperture) that I am quite happy with the 16-85 and appreciate the longer reach.
09-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But it is not WR which was on your list. SDM is not an issue any longer, though I agree Pentax is leaving it but I believe because of speed not reliability. SDM failure reports are quite rare these days. And I think you would be surprised at current used costs, I've seen several go for well under $500. Regardless if you want fast and WR in that range the 16-50 is your only option.
I agree. I have never had a SDM problem on any of hte 4 lenses I have that use it (knock on wood). I have the 16-50 and have been very happy with it, and used prices are very good.

09-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I have owned the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and shot with the Sigma 17-50 f2.8. The Sigma is better built but more expensive. I think the Sigma is a lot sharper too.

If you are going to buy new, another consideration is warranty. Pentax has one year. Sigma has four and Tamron has six. I have not had a chance to use the Tamron or the Pentax warranties. However, I have used the Sigma warranty for an old lens I had and Sigma stood behind their product and gave me a very fast service.

Last edited by btnapa; 09-02-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
09-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does fit the bill on paper, but the SDM issues make it a non starter for me
Even with SDM issues, it can easily be converted to screwdrive. I actually prefer the screwdrive on this and the 50-135 (not the 200 or 300 though, SDM is better on those). You can often find the 16-50 with a dead SDM motor and convert it to screwdrive for a really good price sometimes. If you prefer silent focus though, the screwdrive option may not fit the bill. Also, you need a compatible camera body to make the conversion, I think the K-5 and earlier can convert the lens with ease.
09-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I would go with the Sigma. I've never been too overwhelmed with what I've seen the Pentax 16-50mm do. Nevermind the SDM, which scares me. And I've had great experiences with all of Sigma lenses I've owned. Then later you can add the Sigma 8-16mm, to complete the "Trinity" of Sigma zooms.

And as others have reported, their service department is excellent. I've used them a few times over the years for calibration and for a couple repairs and they've always done flawless work, and I got my lenses back quickly.

Something cool about Sigma is that they will calibrate your lens to your specific camera body for free as long as the lens is still under warranty. I don't know of any other brands who do that for free.
09-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #12

Original Poster
I also contemplate waiting for the Pentax 24ish - 70ish coming in October+/- . My initial thought is it will be too expensive, but given the cost of a two lens solution, it may be the less expensive option.
09-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If I were you than I will get the Sigma 17-50mm HSM to compliment your Sigma 50-150mm HSM and anyway the 50-150mm does not have weather sealing too. If you need a weather sealed walk around zoom in the lower range than look into Pentax 20-40mm LTD.

My 2c.
09-01-2015, 09:51 PM   #14

I think you should still keep the 18-135mm even if you have a fast f/2.8 normal zoom. In my experience, on those times when i actually need a weathersealed lens, I can't safely swap lens either, so im stuck with one lens. The range of the 18-135mm really shine on those moments.

Last edited by AtitG; 09-01-2015 at 09:57 PM.
09-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

16-50.
Wide-short telephoto
Walk around range is OK
F2.8 constant
Weather Sealed
SDM can be disabled and screw drive enabled.
Good IQ
Price is under $600
1 lens solution.

Alternate option: DA HD 20-40 limited WR.
Shorter range
Slower as focal length goes up
Variable aperture

2 lens solution means adding a Sigma and the the DA 16-85 or 20-40 limited.