Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Oil on aperture blades, when is it worth repairing?

I recently discovered there's oil on the aperture blades of my 44-2 (and a smidge of oil on one of the elements), when would something like this be worth repairing?

This copy is amazing optically so I would love to keep it in good working condition.

09-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When the cost of repair is lower than the cost (and risk of getting a poorer copy) of getting a new one.

If you have a local repair shop ask them for a quote. If no one local then maybe ask Eric if he can do it. If you are mechanically savvy you can do it yourself, but I would only recommend that if you feel comfortable taking things apart and have some lens repair experience.
09-03-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
When the cost of repair is lower than the cost (and risk of getting a poorer copy) of getting a new one.

If you have a local repair shop ask them for a quote. If no one local then maybe ask Eric if he can do it. If you are mechanically savvy you can do it yourself, but I would only recommend that if you feel comfortable taking things apart and have some lens repair experience.
Nah I don't have any experience and wouldn't wanna risk it with this lens. How much would it cost for Eric to do something like this?
09-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Seems there is almost always oil on the blades of that particular lens -- preset version? If it is got a smear on an element, that's no good, should be cleaned, but otherwise usually just involves a couple of drops of lighter fluid on the blades to clear them up. That's general advice for most lenses, but like I say that one seems to always have it so don't know if it really goes away or not...

09-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Oil on an element is never good. But oil on the blades doesn't even matter with the takumars I shoot. If they open and close that's all that matters as they are strictly manual anyway on a DSLR.
09-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
How much would it cost for Eric to do something like this?
No idea but you can ask him here: Home
09-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Oil can create starburst patterns on light sources (especially in night shots), and possibly lower contrast generally a little bit, but other than that if they don't interfere with the aperture operation (which they usually don't on a preset unless they are heavily sticky) then it is not a major problem, and may be an advantage if you like the starbursts...

09-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Isn't oil supposed to be on the aperture blades on that particular lens? I think some preset lenses need oiled blades. But the oil shouldn't run off, onto glass or anything. Maybe you can look up oil on aperture blades for the lenses that you are worried about, because this depends on the specific lens
You can send the lens to Eric, he is popular on these forums, but depending where you live, you can probably find a repair store closer to you. That can save you time and shipping money. For something like CLA, pretty much any photography lens service centre should be able to help. But you can expect that the repair will cost as much as the lens did when you bought it (especially if you package and ship the lens around)

And a service is always risky. I had my Pentax M 50mm serviced for a bent focusing ring, but after the service the aperture blades rattle around as they never did before. Another time I had a Flektogon serviced and the issue returned within a day of shooting, so I had to bring it back (didn't pay anything extra, though). This is why people recommend Eric, he seems to be good

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-03-2015 at 05:32 PM.
09-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Seems there is almost always oil on the blades of that particular lens -- preset version?
A small amount of oil on the aperture blades of preset or manual aperture lenses is not unusual or cause for immediate alarm. For many, it is intentional.

Steve
09-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a 44-2 (and interesting lens for sure) and the blades in mine are pretty oily looking ever since I first got it. So far it has not led to any issues and I understand it is very common for these lenses.

Give what these lenses cost, I would have thought it was not worth getting fixed - particularly if its performing fine.
09-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
...(they are not factory-oiled like some of the large-format lenses are)...
That may be true for some, but I bought my Jupiter-9 (M42) new in 2008 and it had a thin smear of lightweight oil on the aperture blades from day one. That oil has not migrated and I have been assured that it is both normal and intended for that particular lens.

Your comment regarding the Cosmoline is so true. I have been seriously tempted to re-lube my Helios 44M as well as both J-9s (M42, Contax/Kiev).

Steve