Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2008, 07:16 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the Promaster 100mm with matching adapter made by Cosina as well? That matching adapter looks like the same one that I saw on one of those. The Promaster has the same specs as the Pentax FA 100mm 3.5 and it is the cosina with Pentax electronics.

Last edited by Blue; 06-20-2008 at 07:36 AM.
06-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Is the Promaster 100mm with matching adapter made by Cosina as well? That matching adapter looks like the same one that I saw on one of those. The Promaster has the same specs as the Pentax FA 100mm 3.5 and it is the cosina with Pentax electronics.
The Promaster, Cosina, Vivitar and the Pentax FA 100mm f/3.5 are all re-badged versions of the same macro lens.
06-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have yet to add a fast fifty to my line-up and I believe the FA 50mm f/ 1.4 is going to be the one. Price, !Q all add. While on vacation a couple weeks ago I missed a lot of indoor family photos because I wasn't prepared.

Is the bokeh without the adapter that creamy with this lens? You have some wonderful results. I am going to have to keep my eye out for such an adapter. A wonderful way to go close up and still mantain quality IMO.

Thanks for the shots!
06-20-2008, 11:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I have yet to add a fast fifty to my line-up and I believe the FA 50mm f/ 1.4 is going to be the one. Price, !Q all add. While on vacation a couple weeks ago I missed a lot of indoor family photos because I wasn't prepared.

Is the bokeh without the adapter that creamy with this lens? You have some wonderful results. I am going to have to keep my eye out for such an adapter. A wonderful way to go close up and still mantain quality IMO.

Thanks for the shots!
The FA 50 f/1.4's bokeh is one of the finest for the lowest price among all the new Pentax primes. It is always creamy and provides bright, colorful and creamy pictures. It is easier to make focusing mistakes with this lens than other lens due to narrower DOF in bigger aperture. But once I manage to pay attention to focus point and occasionally use shift focus to turn focusing ring to drive the AF, it is my go-to lens for indoor and night time pictures.

The size is not a pancake but it is very small, lightweight and manual focusing is surprisingly good as the focus throw is big enough for fine adjustment. Some people don't like the manual focusing on FA 50 but I find it more than reasonable. The other two alternatives would be the FA 35 f/2.8 and DA 40 f/2.8. And if you are into macro, the DA 35 f/2.8 Macro should be considered.

Last edited by hinman; 06-20-2008 at 12:00 PM.
06-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I bump this thread just in case someone has the Cosina/Pentax/Phoenix 100mm f/3.5 Macro

Caveats
Though the adapter seems to work well with both of my FA 50 f/1.4 and A 50 mm f/2.8 1:2 Macro, I won't recommend others to go out and buy this only adapter. There are lot more other alternatives than a diopter like adapter. Extension tubes and other means should be considered. But if you happen to have any of the Pentax/Cosina/Phoenix/Promaster 100mm f/3.5 1:2 Macro, the adapter that come with the lens can be a great asset with FA 50 f/1.4.

I did try the adapter on two other fast prime lens which is not a macro lens, the results don't come out as nice as the FA 50 f/1.4. So be warned that the adapter can't work with all lens with satisfactory close up results

Last edited by hinman; 06-24-2008 at 06:25 PM.