Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2015, 05:32 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
That is highly unlikely and unnecessarily complex to implement. The most sensible and easiest to implement would be what Sony does in its A7 line which is to have three options: Auto, FF, Crop. That way the user can use a crop lens even when it vignettes. I get wonderful 8mm wide pictures with my Sigma 8-16 by by selecting FF and just cropping out the black in PP. Or can can just let the camera do the cropping for somewhat reduced coverage. Pentax would be crazy to lock out all the FF compatible DA lenses it already has. Might be the killer for me.

I was thinking of the menu options for format as overriding any automatic cropping. Of course to make it work properly, and add complexity and expense, you would need either 1) an EVF rather than a mirror; or 2) frame lines superimposed like composition grids so you could see the format selected. I would guess the latter will included in the new FF Pentax for dealing with APS-C only lenses.

09-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With many DA lenses the camera would need to do nothing since they cover the FF circle just fine: such as the DA70, DFA100, DA+55 and Da*300. Pentax just needs to avoid automatic crop of APS-C. It is my understanding that even the OVF FF cameras from CANIKON have a crop mode for crop lenses so Pentax can do that also but it must not be exclusively automatic. Sony is EVF of course but it is easy to use their crop lenses as either crop or in FF mode. Many of those crop lenses become almost FF when the baffle is removed. I can also use my FE70-200 which is a FF lens in crop mode for greater reach. Pentax should be no less flexible.