Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

Turn my K50 into a 'street' camera

I'm finding myself taking snapshots at family events and also will have an opportunity to walk the streets of NYC in the near future. My budget can't really handle another camera so what would be the ideal lens to turn my K50 into a 'street' camera. My thinking is that if I mount the right prime I can set the camera up in a set and forget it mode and concentrate on the pictures. And of course satisfy a little LBA.

09-07-2015, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the 21mm LTD would be *the* lens for street photography. I know I want one
If that's out of budget the 35mm 2.4 or FA 28 2.8 are excellent alternatives.
A manual 24 or 28mm lens at f/11 and just-kinda-in-the-ballpark focusing would work as well.
09-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the DA 50mm f1.8 and it probably isn't wide enough for that.... but, that being said, if the DA 35 'plastic fantastic' is anywhere near the 50's quality and ease of use, it easily be used for this...
09-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

In your position I would be lusting after the 21mm LTD

09-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I used the 35mm f2.4 with K50 on a recent trip to SFO and have been happy with the width and speed. Nice and light, fits nicely in the hand and almost looks unobtrusive like a P&S.
09-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the quick answers. I now fully appreciate how LBA works as my thought process is going like this now - Gee, I was also thinking of getting a Macro so instead of getting a separate street camera like a GR II and a macro for my K50 I should maybe get the DA 35mm f2.8 macro limited. Look honey, I saved $1000!
09-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I cheap M/A 28f2.8 would be a good one to mount on the k-50 for street photography with minimum work to focus if you set it to around f5.6 or higher (short hyperfocal length).

09-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There's always that pancake 40mm to consider ..... Would keep a very flat profile on the body shape (ie is not something that 'sticks out', literally ....). HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
09-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I cheap M/A 28f2.8 would be a good one to mount on the k-50 for street photography with minimum work to focus if you set it to around f5.6 or higher (short hyperfocal length).
Agree - 28mm is a great f/l for street, either AF or manual work great.
09-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have a kit zoom?
If so, set it to 21 (or 35) mm and try it. Turn to Av mode and dial in f8. Set ISO to float between 100-3200. Try it and see if 35 or 21 fits you better.

The 35 Macro is great from what I read, but for street shooting manual focus using hyperfocus may be required due to the long focus throw on that lens. Also the lens requires a lot closer working distance than a longer macro. Just be aware of that.

Personally I think the 21ltd is a fantastic choice. But again I don't own it. I have owned and used the da35 2.4 and SMC 40 ltd and kept the 40 over the plastic fantastic but not for street photography specifically.
09-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Another vote for the DA 40/2.8 Limited if a compact package is the most important thing. On a crop sensor it's at the long end of normal (60mm Equivalent FOV), but I've used it on a "single lens for everything" basis on a couple of occasions and it worked well.

The DA21/3.2 looks pretty flat (i.e. physically compact) in pictures, but I've never handled one myself and I couldn't say for sure how small it was - however, it doesn't seem much larger (if at all) and it may work better for you in terms of angle of view. Is there anyone out there who owns both and can advise?

The 35/2.8 Limited Macro is a very good lens (I own it and I know), but the price may not be worth paying if you're not going to use the macro function - the DA35/2.4 Plastic Fantastic is a shade faster and may be a better deal on a bang-for-the-buck basis if money is tight and you're not planning on getting really close.

The DA50/1.8 is a very good lens, with excellent speed and IQ for the price, but may be a little bit narrow in field-of-view terms and also physically long for what you have in mind. It is, however, very light.
09-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have said, the DA21 Limited - it renders beautifully. However, if that's a little wide for you, I'd recommend the DA35 F2.4, which also has the benefit of being just a little faster than the DA21 (handy if your street photography might extend to indoor scenes). I don't recommend the DA35 Macro - it's a lovely lens, but the autofocus can hunt in some situations, and with the long focus throw, that could get in the way of spontaneity. I also like the DA40 Limited, but find it just that bit too long as an all-round street lens...

---------- Post added 09-07-2015 at 05:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Another vote for the DA 40/2.8 Limited if a compact package is the most important thing. On a crop sensor it's at the long end of normal (60mm Equivalent FOV), but I've used it on a "single lens for everything" basis on a couple of occasions and it worked well.

The DA21/3.2 looks pretty flat (i.e. physically compact) in pictures, but I've never handled one myself and I couldn't say for sure how small it was - however, it doesn't seem much larger (if at all) and it may work better for you in terms of angle of view. Is there anyone out there who owns both and can advise?
I have 'em. The DA21 is deeper than the DA40, but not all that much, and the body + DA21 is still an extremely compact package. I find the DA21 handles a little better too as far as MF is concerned, as a result of the slightly greater depth. That said, I'm a fan of both lenses
09-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Do you have a kit zoom?
If so, set it to 21 (or 35) mm and try it. Turn to Av mode and dial in f8. Set ISO to float between 100-3200. Try it and see if 35 or 21 fits you better.

The 35 Macro is great from what I read, but for street shooting manual focus using hyperfocus may be required due to the long focus throw on that lens. Also the lens requires a lot closer working distance than a longer macro. Just be aware of that.

Personally I think the 21ltd is a fantastic choice. But again I don't own it. I have owned and used the da35 2.4 and SMC 40 ltd and kept the 40 over the plastic fantastic but not for street photography specifically.
UncleVanya, great advice. I should have mentioned up front my kit, purchased last month, included the 18-135 zoom. This has been great as a walk around and to figure out where my interests lie. Looking at the exif data I'm seeing a pattern where I tend to stay in the 18-36 range most of the time.
09-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joebarfly Quote
UncleVanya, great advice. I should have mentioned up front my kit, purchased last month, included the 18-135 zoom. This has been great as a walk around and to figure out where my interests lie. Looking at the exif data I'm seeing a pattern where I tend to stay in the 18-36 range most of the time.
Well, there is also the DA20-40. It's the only zoom I've used (in my admittedly limited experience) that seems to produce prime-quality images throughout its small zoom range. Plus, it's WR too. A little bulky compared to primes, but a lovely lens that would cover your preferred focal lengths...
09-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Well, there is also the DA20-40. It's the only zoom I've used (in my admittedly limited experience) that seems to produce prime-quality images throughout its small zoom range. Plus, it's WR too. A little bulky compared to primes, but a lovely lens that would cover your preferred focal lengths...
Agreed but not as subtle as the pancake lenses from a street photography perspective.