Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax Takumar 1000/8 and missing parts

Hello everybody, my first request to the forum.

I bought a Pentax Takumar 1000mm/8 Tele for a reasonable price. Lenses are in a good condition, but unfortunately two parts are missing.
1. The original aluminum plate with two 1/4" mounts is missing: What is the diameter and thickness of this plate? The distance of the screws for mounting the plate to the tele are square 50mm.
2. The camera adapter has a stop at 90°. Can anyone describe the part between locking-screw M5, spring d:2mm and the ring? Does it look like a mushroom?

It seems possible to manufacture these parts.
Thanks a lot for any response, information and help

09-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thomas65g Quote

I bought a Pentax Takumar 1000mm/8 Tele for a reasonable price. Lenses are in a good condition, but unfortunately two parts are missing.
1. The original aluminum plate with two 1/4" mounts is missing: What is the diameter and thickness of this plate? The distance of the screws for mounting the plate to the tele are square 50mm.
2. The camera adapter has a stop at 90°. Can anyone describe the part between locking-screw M5, spring d:2mm and the ring? Does it look like a mushroom?

Pictures?
09-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a highly-regarded Pentax technician here in the US named Eric Hendrickson. I realize you are in Switzerland which will likely make sending your lens for an evaluation prohibitively expensive, but he is an absolute authority on these things. You might email him at pentax27@aol.com. His website is www.pentaxs.com . He's pretty busy and might not respond immediately but he'll eventually get back to you with a suggestion.

If you can afford it I know he has fabricated parts such as metal and fabric shutter curtains and sheared pins. Keep him in mind - that's a neat lens.
09-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello, and welcome to Pentax Forums. If you look in the lens review section of this website, you will find a review (link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Tele-Takumar-Super-Multi-Coated-TAKUMAR-1000mm-F8.html) of this lens by a member from Clermont-Ferrand, which is close by the Swiss border. If he still has the lens, he may be amenable to an approach to have the missing parts copied. I'm sure there would be plenty of precision workshops in Switzerland able to fabricate the parts for you.

09-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UncleVanya asked for pictures:
-current mounting plate
-and dismounted
-the locking-screw and a spring inside of the 2mm hole. The missing part must have a size of 4 to 5mm in diameter
-camera adapter mounted

@monochrom
@RobA_Oz
thanks for the hint, I will do a request directly

And pardon me for the wrong title: the Tele is a SMC Pentax, but it is the same mechanical construction like Takumar
Attached Images

09-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

UncleVanya asked for pictures:
-current mounting plate
-and dismounted
-the locking-screw and a spring inside of the 2mm hole. The missing part must have a size of 4 to 5mm in diameter
-camera adapter mounted

@monochrom
@RobA_Oz
thanks for the hint, I will do a request directly

And pardon me for the wrong title: the Tele is a SMC Pentax, but it is the same mechanical construction like Takumar
The Takumar and SMC versions were the same lens. The only thing that changed was the mount tube which you photographed and probably coatings. You have the K-mount version, including the mount tube, obviously.
09-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi there,

I have this lens, and have sent you a PM that Dave ("dadipentak") forwarded to me. I will assist you. I read this post through and see that "monochrome" suggested Eric Hendrickson. I might mention that he did a CLA on a Takumar 500mm F4.5 for me and it was a superb job, but he mentioned that he does not want to do anything longer.

I will be in touch and I also gave you my personal e-mail address in the PM.

Have a good one!

Murray

09-17-2015, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oneill Quote
Hi there,

I have this lens, and have sent you a PM that Dave ("dadipentak") forwarded to me. I will assist you. I read this post through and see that "monochrome" suggested Eric Hendrickson. I might mention that he did a CLA on a Takumar 500mm F4.5 for me and it was a superb job, but he mentioned that he does not want to do anything longer.

I will be in touch and I also gave you my personal e-mail address in the PM.

Have a good one!

Murray
Hi Thomas,

I am attaching four JPGs that show the mounting plate, plate detail, dimensional sketch and the detent knob assembly.

That should give you everything you need to make the parts. When you have the plate made I would carefully measure the mounting screw holes on the lens, center to center and also diagonal to double check and then lay them out on the plate, and then drill them.

The four screws are black Phillips head if you want to be really accurate. The plate would be a cinch to make by a reasonably skilled metal worker. If it was my lens I would not hesitate to make it myself.

You are right that the detent plunger is shaped like a mushroom. I photographed it but did not pull it out of my assembly in case I stretched the spring. If I were you I would look for a steel rivet with the right size head and shaft and make it fit.

You will have no trouble restoring the lens.

I have had small anodizing jobs done before and it is not inexpensive. To economize you should go to the plating shop, tell them you are not in a hurry and ask them to put your part in with a larger job. My last job cost me $20 cash which fit my budget nicely. Good luck on your project.

Have a good one!

Murray
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by oneill; 09-17-2015 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
09-18-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks a lot Murray for all information!
I will do an update on the thread, as soon as I can show first result
09-18-2015, 05:15 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For anodizing, dcshooter here does quite a lot of that reanodizing our lenses. You might PM him if you need something done.

Neat stuff, Murray. I had forgotten Eric's limit on lens work.
11-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Again thanks for all information. I made the part, in fact not done by my self. It looks pretty similar to the original.
(Everybody can imagine how it swings on my small tripod, so I am still looking for an used wooden tripod)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo