Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Red Filters

Does anyone still use Red Filters for B&W on digital. I bought one for $1 today brand new from the 70's and was curious if they were still useful?

09-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

sure but most color can be done in processing.....digital filter.....I have terrible skills but believe its done often
from my understanding polarizing and neutral density filters are of more use......and a polarizer cannot be replicated digitally
as for myself gonna force some shoots using them and learn some by trial n error
09-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suppose you could use one but all those old B&W filters from the film days are presets in Lightroom as well as other editing software. Those old filters were designed for B&W film and may not work the same with a digital sensor. Since you have it, try it. It won't hurt anything and the nice thing about digital is that we can indulge ourselves with all kinds of shots and effects. You're still going to need some creative PP work regardless.
09-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yeah. Me personally, I try not to do much of any Post Processing. Its something I replicate from film. I would much rather use the filter if I can. It seemed pretty nice when I used it today. Plus I don't think my editors have those options for filters. So it should be pretty cool to use it more. Thanks!

09-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #5
Forum Member

Like you, I'd rather take a good monochrome shot, than make one in post-processing. After seeing many black and white digital conversions inferior to their film counterparts, I began using B+W brand color filters on my digital camera. Post-processing algorithms seem to perform better with a monochrome image. I use yellow (022), orange (040), and red (090) all with good results. I also use these filters for black and white film photography with my old Minolta equipment.

The bottom line, experiment and find what suits your needs. You really can't go wrong for the price.